/daily/ - "blapp and nat are still alive" edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/list/hibakushyo/novaya-scena-strange-sounds-from-ukraine/
rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/andy-c/nightlife/
mega.nz/#!3kQQSKxZ!Mg0ZzJxaS0TZwl9qC827Q_VCYWLeWgKHU-IzFxur-f4
youtube.com/watch?v=8B32dkWK-Yk
youtube.com/watch?v=cyjmd00s-_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=D_WjQbD1rC8
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mary-lattimore/collected-pieces/
youtube.com/watch?v=E6wllpw5udk
discogs.com/Joe-Thinkin-About/release/7090980
youtube.com/watch?v=ihl6dkMg_Uk
youtube.com/watch?v=h20Pn9M-g3I
discogs.com/Joe-Claptrap/master/287042
youtube.com/watch?v=jhC2LlbzrZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=vrgLEJ08zeA
discogs.com/Joe-Slope/master/616308
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/taku-unami-devin-disanto/taku-unami-devin-disanto/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/казма-казма/пляски-трубадуров/
discogs.com/Joe-Punters-Step-Out/release/5149729
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

new oxbow

(accel)
absolutely.
(accel)
yeah it's similar, just has more fast tracks and guitars desu.
Matana Roberts - Pov Piti
phoneposters go home

what's jandek doing at a trump rally?

ready for the [white] house

Wore his nicest "plantation owner" outfit

me and blapp met it was very nice

please no politic

Nah I'm not an angry Trump critic guy

v good time

had a whole near-character-capped rant about indie rock I was about to post but deleted it all because I'd probably be preaching to the choir

anyways new War on Drugs is boring but who's surprised?

Is the new Brand New any good? I've liked their stuff less and less over time, but that applies to all emo for me. Unless it's better than The Devil and God I'm not really interested.

>Bon Iver is kinda the HHH of memefolk

War on Drugs is textbook grower music btw. Listened once today and only really dug the songs that have already grown on me. Just saying. It takes more than one listen

the brand new brand new?

haha the whitest beer commercial music hahaha

listenalong when

You can do better :) you're smarter

easy my man it is friday still

bogpill me on daily generals anons
is it worth participating

thank you for the encouragement mr review guy
for real tho why not just listen to solo Kurt Vile instead

You can't do both things huh? They're different artists with different catalogues, strengths, production styles, etc.

meme
rateyourmusic.com/list/hibakushyo/novaya-scena-strange-sounds-from-ukraine/

you could, i was meming anyway just like kozelek was when he said that, don't habe to get all passive aggressive about it
just saying all that lost in the dream did to me was make me want to listen to kurt

sweet i'll take a look at that

why not take a look at these dubs instead

which/ones?

shit

Nah, I knew, I'm not. I like both. War on Drugs has stellar production and a better sense for subtlety. Kurt is more on the singer-songwriter focus.

Kinda disappointed that I haven't had as much time as I would have liked to dedicate to this chart, but I'm still working on it bit by bit. Let me know if you want my opinions on anything, I don't feel like writing any updates atm.

As an aside, I saw Good Time last night and it was a riveting experience. Loved watching OPN's soundtrack come to life and completely set the pace and tone of a film. It isn't often that a film score plays such a vital role, and I am glad it won an award.

hey gays can i get a uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh listenalong template

new brand new is a snoozefest

====LISTENALONG====
Andy C - Nightlife
>Drum and Bass, Darkstep, fun stuff

RYM: rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/andy-c/nightlife/
MEGA: mega.nz/#!3kQQSKxZ!Mg0ZzJxaS0TZwl9qC827Q_VCYWLeWgKHU-IzFxur-f4
YOUTUBE: youtube.com/watch?v=8B32dkWK-Yk
SPOTIFY: lol who uses that

have fun lads

I love Underground Sewer, Delightful Spekkio, and Frog's Theme the most probably

NICE LETS HEAR IT

I'll give it another chance, but I've given many tries to get into TWoD/Vile projects and they've never clicked for me.

oh man underground sewer

someone rec me some good music for dying in a hurricane

youtube.com/watch?v=cyjmd00s-_Q

It's sooo great, the melody is flawless

hmm

hmm

people who like Death in June have a bookshelf with books that look like this lmaoooo

hmm

haven't heard the new Brockhampton or Brand New yet but the only "August God-tier dump of music" I've liked is Luv is Rage 2

did you listen to Black Ken yet tho

Nice

hmm

brap

Why are all trap/modern rap albums so inconsistent though? I really don't think I've heard any conventional popular rap albums 2011+ that's all killer, even from huge fans of the genre. 90% of them have maybe one or two great songs and not much else.

I know people make the argument about most modern rappers are single-focused and abandon relying on albums + judging an artist by "albums" is rockist or something, but if that were the case then why even continue to release albums?

What I'm trying to say is the ratio of good to bad songs on Luv is Rage 2 is about one to one.

kind of afraid to. Might throw out all my music and just listen to that instead from now on.

Had major deja vu because I could've sword Lil B had already released it. Had no clue it was a "mystery unreleased album" for a long time. It's the Detox of the modern age, except people liked it when it dropped.

Black Ken is really good, tracks 10-16 is a perfect stretch of songs

Why tf do rappers keep releasing 100-minute albums though jesus christ. Can't you just release a 30 minute great albums instead of super bloated ones? I know it's almost a gimmick for Lil B at least but it seems like everyone nowadays feels the need to release /everything/ they've recorded in a certain period.

I know it's dumb to judge all music on a good-to-bad ratio then give it a numerical score (even though I've done it 4000+ times) but do these guys not have any filter?

swans is the GOAT dying music.

it became a thing because CDs started being a thing when hiphop rose to fame and it became the norm to just fill up all those ~75 minutes on the CD with music, even now that CDs are on the decline a lot of rappers still like to release long projects, guess it's in the culture. anyway, i think there's no shame in listening to a mixtape in multiple sittings, i listened to black ken in one go and didn't grow bored with it but you can split it up in 2 or 3 listens, just listen till you feel like stopping and pick it back up later. keep in mind, lil b probably doesn't make his mixtapes with the idea that it has to be listened to in one sitting, it's not like a rock album or anything in that sense.

good shit

how tf did you guys miss me

r u in the area wtf
i was talking about how i wanna meet u

I MISS UUUU

no im not in the area i just cant believe you missed me :}
big guy

uh i didnt mean to quote u
i guess u get 2 free (You)s

Wow..

I can't believe there's a Taylor Swift song produced by the I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt dude that has that fucking phone line.

I can't believe it's not butter

hot shit right here

[throat sings in cowboy]

skin.

desu that blew my fucking mind

There is nothing wrong with sitting down to pee. Prove me wrong.

I tape myself to the ceiling and pee downwards, myself. It's sort of difficult in public, and people don't like waiting for the urinals for so long, but it's pretty good otherwise.

there's nothing wrong with it except for youre a pussy cucklord, libshit.

@nyarlathotep
Need a jazz recc,

The Xxxtentacion album is not good
I'm glad these people are at least making them short instead of painfully drawn out hours

There's a lot of fun to be had if you like avant-memes

they just put Lil Ugly Mane on Spotify go listen to Uneven Compromise on loop

Gonna go ahead and shill this one more time.
AOTY.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mary-lattimore/collected-pieces/
(it's on spotify)

*cough*

honestly I do this all the time at work when i'm really tired

nicely

Lads I'm listening to Peasant and I'm not feeling it what do I do???

>Letov posts a short rym URL
WHAT THE FUCK THOSE ARE TRULY THE LAST DAYS

>except people liked it when it dropped.
Didn't people liked Compton?

off yourself

I expected to hate this but i'm p sure the rest of daily will

LYRICS
IT'S THE LYRICS

Good meme, friend

Listen-along sounding nice but I like my breaks with ragga shouts about killing people all over them.

SHIT

I'LL TRY AND LISTEN WITH THE LYRICS TOMORROW

I feel like I might Dawson a lot, his singing style reminds me of Okkervil River but I gotta be in the right mood to listen to it.

brief thots

Gareth Flowers - A Beginner's Guide to Lucid Dreaming
>drone, ambient, free improvisation
A very very enveloping ambient album. While one can easily tell the acoustic instruments were heavily electronically altered, this album still retains a very organic feel. Even with a 77-minute runtime, I never felt that this album got boring.

King Geedorah - Take Me to Your Leader
>abstract hip hop, east coast hip hop
The production/beats are top-notch and rival DOOM's greatest projects, but a lot less "hooked" me here than Mm.. Food or Madvillainy. Anti-Matter probably falls in my top 5 DOOM tracks now.

Pender Street Steppers - Life in the Zone
>outsider house
A fun listen but at times was very sterile. A mixed bag with some great moments. That last track felt way out of place.

Ryoji Ikeda - Dataplex
>glitch, microsound
Cool, but I'm not as crazy about it as other people are. Like many people have said, it tickles the eardrums, but after it was over I wasn't completely satisfied. Idk, it felt a bit too aimless.

Pryapisme - Rococo Holocaust
>Avant-garde metal, experimental rock
*holds up spork*

Film review. Spicy one.

>Knight of Cups (2015)

Against all odds, I do like this one. Amazing amount of criticism it's received for what I have to suspect is a backlash against uncovonventional storytelling, because it's seen the same criticism Tree of Life got, and the same criticism The Master got, etc. Film is like music in that it finds itself in this conundrum in which the general audience wants something bold but ultimately conservative. David Stubbs talks about this phenomenon in his book, Fear of Music: Why People Get Rothko But Don't Get Stockhausen.

Terrence Malick's style has shifted slightly over the years. The existential crisis and ennui of Days of Heaven and Badlands has just become fully-fledged and all-encompassing in his newer films, starting with Tree of Life. And for what it's worth, this is cut from the same cloth as Tree of Life--seemingly only a different perspective. His style here is intimate slice-of-life to the extreme...surreal, even. Filling the film are mostly dialogueless scenes of somewhat mundane events, like him and his brother wrestling or talking to studio executives, often overlaid with simple existential thoughts and questions covering a variety of viewpoints. Despite how nebulous or hamfisted that may sound, Malick (with the help of skilled actors) is a master of communicating the implied events of this film with only the use of carefully selected shots.
7/10

That book sounds interesting. I would think that music and film are judged more harshly for stepping out of bounds purely because they have are relatively recent and very commercial while paintings and similar mediums have a long and rich history with the avant garde being an accepted and even encouraged concept.

Right, or that these are more aggressive sensory experiences than modern visual art

Listening to stuff by Joe cause the release Jimmy Jizz rec'd was great.

>Thinking About
Thinking About sounds a little too clean but it has a p nice vibe going for it. very different from his other stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=E6wllpw5udk
discogs.com/Joe-Thinkin-About/release/7090980

>Claptrap/Level Crossing
Is using coughs as part of the beat a thing in this scene? Randomer has a great track with coughing in it and Claptrap also has plenty of it. Not as grandiose as Punters Step Out, it's somewhat bare but has plenty going for it when he abuses the claps. Still has that thing I like in this type of music of doing p unexpected and somewhat out of place things with the sound.
youtube.com/watch?v=ihl6dkMg_Uk

Level Crossing delivers more on the bass. This track is better than the A side, it's a lot more colorful with it's tribal and dub vibe.
youtube.com/watch?v=h20Pn9M-g3I
discogs.com/Joe-Claptrap/master/287042

>Slope/Maximum Busy Muscle
Why is Slope on one of those vaporwave video channels? I guess that speaks to the general sound of it, but it's p great still. Has some intense moments, but feels a little bit too detached from dance music. For those moments where you want ambient but you don't wanna fall asleep cause the track won't let you.
youtube.com/watch?v=jhC2LlbzrZ8

Maximum feels a lot more full and energetic than the other tracks. Great fucking track. Listen.
youtube.com/watch?v=vrgLEJ08zeA
discogs.com/Joe-Slope/master/616308

i don't know why i wrote this

True, you don't have to stare at a painting for too long

oh my
I'm barely 5 minutes into this and it's fucking insanity
How can this go on for another 80 minutes

i was just about to tell u to listen to this
it's basically a drug trip in audio form

new charts

no thoughts atm

recs are always appreciated

is this prince

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/taku-unami-devin-disanto/taku-unami-devin-disanto/
listen to this

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/казма-казма/пляски-трубадуров/

discogs.com/Joe-Punters-Step-Out/release/5149729

apologies for the general lack of posting, this has been an exceedingly busy week

no charts for now but i've got """reviews"""

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (2010)
>indie rock

Above all, this is a pleasant album. The only truly unpleasant track here is the repetitive, flat-out dumb "Rococo", while the rest occupies a really simple, pleasing, Springsteen-influenced rock sound. The title track is by and large my favorite, a nostalgic, sun-drenched ode to suburban childhood that cleverly plays into the dense, apocalyptic concept of the record, it's themes and melodies returned to multiple times throughout the record. Thrashy "Month of May" and kaleidoscopic "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)" are other highlights, showing off the band's chemistry as well as the vocal talents of both Butler and Chassange. The rest is boring and monotonous beyond belief. It's clever conceptually, at times. Sadly, the concept seems like more of an afterthought than everything, it's lyrically and musically all over the place. It works really poorly as an album as a result of that, it's all over the place yet it really doesn't have that many highlights. It's sure as shit better than Everything Now, albeit not without it's own incredibly obvious problems.

2.0+

when's the last time you gave blood, daily?

I'm a vampire, all take and no give.

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night (1975)
>country rock, folk rock, singer/songwriter

The general reception of this album had me believe that this was significantly more dirgey and fucked-up than it actually is. It's rollicking country rock at its core. Full band tracks have every characteristic of the genre: slide guitars, upbeat drums, harmony vocals, they're really not that much different from anything else by Young. That being said, there's a very apparent looseness to this album that gives it the depressive, dirgey characteristics it's so well known for. The band always feels like it's on the verge of falling apart, and Young's vocals are /rough/. He's famously not a terribly great vocalist, and he outdoes himself here, he strains on every high note and his whine is horribly exaggerated. Somehow, this is a phenomenal thing. The strains and imperfections in Young's voice and the music allows the album to be completely stark and naked, especially on the few acoustic tracks like "Borrowed Tune". It's an incredibly emotional album at it's core, and it's loose, depressive takes on rollicking country rock acts as a perfect vehicle for Young and his band to express their innermost concerns and feelings. My favorite album of Young's thus far.

3.0+