What is the difference between horsepower and torque?

what is the difference between horsepower and torque?

As I understand it, torque is horsepower made useful.

They're spelt differently

horsepower is power that is available while in motion torque is the actual power going to the wheels

Go to fucking school.

hp = (torque * rpm) / 5252

as far as i know, one horsepower is 550 footpound.
footpounds being a measurement of torque.
i think there is a distinction in how much horsepower can be used to do work moving heavy stuff, and how much work can be done to go fast.
so i think horsepower is the speed and torque is the "power"

in stupid talk horsepower is how fast you will go and torque is how fast you get there.

Horsepower is how fast your going when you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Horsepower is the actual power available to accelerate the car. At standstill the kinetic energy is 0 joules, at a certain speed the kinetic energy is 1/2 mv^2 .. ... the energy has increased, the mount it has increased is dependent on the amount of horsepower ( 1 hp = 746 watts) x the number of seconds the horsepower has been applied.

Some fucking retards think that what acceerates a car is torque. This is wrong ... imagine a very very small electric motor with a gearing that makes it rotate 1 rotation every week ... MASSIVE torque, no power, this will not accelerate your car.

Imagine a small 500 or 1000 hp jet engine, gas turbine, turboshaft engine ... very low torque on the rotor blades, just 2 or 3 ft lb ... but massive RPM, so great power ... a jet engined car with a suitable gearbox to drive the rear wheels would accelerate like any other car with 1000hp behind it.

tl;dr; power creates acceleration, torque is just a mechanical concept that will vary all over the place throughout the gearing system. Power is what counts.

I like this one ^^

in car nut simple terms, torque is 0-60 time.
HP is top speed...

Horsepower is how fast my dick goes in your ass. Torque is how hard it goes

we are not talking negative numbers here, faggot

What an absolutely useless explanation.

Torque gets you to the hp

Look at a dyno sheet

That's now what your mom said last night faggot

I'm not him, but that backfired pretty nicely

If you know anything about the Maserati, you'll know it's owned by the same company that owns Chrysler. In fact, the same cheap knobs, dash and transmission that's in the Spark, is in the 100K Maserati. These cars suck big time balls, you can pick up a Maserati Quattroporte with very little milage for about 20K.

TLDR Maserati is a shit car

You are wrong. HP is the only thing that matters , if you think it is torque ... I have here two "black boxes" .. each has a fuel pipe going in and a shaft coming out ...

Box A: Torque is 270 ft lb ...

Box B: torque is 200 ft lb ...

Which one will you pick to for our drag race?

You picked Box A because you are a faggot and think that torque is what accelerates?

Box A with a bigger torque figure is a very old, worn Walmart chain saw engine driving some gears .. the shaft turns very slowly, but with 270ft lb of torque .. your car has a chain saw engine .. good luck.

Box B is a mild tune Formula 1 race engine, 200 ft lb at 16,000 RPM ...

Torque is a measure of work.
Horsepower is a measure of power. Power is the rate at which work is applied.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Horsepower is a measure of work. Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to the shaft. Usually measured in foot pounds.

Torque at the wheels can be increased or decreased by the gearing ratio in the transmission.

If your engine can produce more torque you can use fewer gears to get to the speed you want.

An car with more horsepower will be faster, except if you have to waste time with an extra shift to get to the speed target; say 60mph.

horsepower is like how many actual dicks you can take in your ass,

torque is how hard they can thrust without giving you a fissure.

Chrysler Spark?

How bad are you trying to sabotage your point?

Correct.
Effectively, torque is twisting power or force. Horsepower is torque in action , or power over time.

Bullshit.

If I apply 200 ft lb of torque to a nut, but there is no movement .. no work is done.

For work to be done a force has to move a distance.

Are you American?

Wrong. Horsepower does not equal torque in any conversion method. One measures the work that is done the other measures a force.

Just like the BMW Quattro, and the Mercedes Cayenne

this guy gets it.

and this guy gets it.

yes it does you fucking garbage tradeschool faggot.

Horsepower is how quickly you get power delivery.

Torque is how much of that power you're getting.

it's easy to understand if you look at the units. hp is power, power can be watts, watts is joules per second, joules is newton x meter

torque is basically momentum applied radially, so force applied at the radius, force is newtons and the radius is meters

If you apply 200 ft lb of torque to a nut, doesn't your boyfriend get mad?

Penis

Horse power sells units to idiots.

Torque sells unit to smart folk.

>muuhhh all my horse power
>can't even exit a turn with something making 330hp and 350ft.lbs

Guess all the smart folk are driving pickup trucks with 7.0L diesels, huh?

Hondas produce very little torque relative to other engines of the same configuration, but can multiply that piddly bit of torque a lot because of the RPM range that the weak torque is tuned for. OTOH Toyota engines are just garbage unless they're Designed by Yamaha.

Horsepower is how fast your car can go, Torque is how fast it actually wants to go.

This guy gets it.

Honda dirt bikes are top tier though...

this guy gets it

in motorbikes, torque gets your front wheel up, hp gets the back wheel spinning faster. Torque is power delivery. HP is top end power.

Anyone who rides in a city doesn't need top end power because you're rarely riding at full speed. low end power, where torque is important, is where you need it for acceleration. I used to replace the rear sprocket on my sportsbikes to have less cogs. Made for quicker acceleration and a 5-10mph drop in fastest speed - which i rarely used (riding at 150mph was fast enough)

In a car, torque is what throws you into your seat. horsepower is what gets you going somewhere quick. The two are very different.

yep in the butt

less teeth sorry

What is this thread?

Autists telling everyone that horsepower does this, and torque does that.

>my absurd edge cases completely invalidate the general rule of thumb in the real world situation.
You are very smart.

well that was a stupid example

>the company that owns chrysler
you mean chrysler?

This is bullshit. You have a random reduction gear included and are measuring the torque off of that. You're talking about HP but won't cite the RPM value that is critical to the equation beyond "turns very slowly". Case dismissed

I still dont understand
explain it another way

wut

In layman’s terms:
Horsepower is the potential power available from the engine.
Torque is the actual power realized at the wheels.

i dont follow

Uh FCA for 1000 Alex

Horse power is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how hard you hit the wall

Horsepower is how fast you go
Torque is how much weight you can push

But of course, to go fast, you need to be able to push the weight of your car

I'm still not getting it
can someone explain it in english

Torque lets you do wheelies and horsepower tells you how fast you can go.

Torque gets you moving and HP keeps you moving

If you can imagine a plumber’s pipe wrench attached to a rusty drainpipe, torque is the force required to twist that pipe. If the wrench is two feet long, and the plumber pushes with 50 pounds of pressure, he is applying 100 pound-feet of torque (50 pounds x 2 feet) to turn the pipe.

One horsepower equals the amount of power it takes to perform 33,000 foot-pounds of work in one minute.

Torque is also is what moves you at lower speeds, so a car’s ability to jump off the line from a complete standstill all depends on how much torque it has. However, once you get moving it is important to have less torque and more horsepower to maintain a high speed, which is why there is a huge differentiation between bottom-end and top-end power.

“Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.”

HP is good for revving high and torque is good for revving low

Imagine yourself as a young boy, torque is how hard it is to get your dads dick in your ass and HP is how fast he thrusts it when he breaks through.

horse power is how many horses you have and torque is how much money you've spent on them

Horsepower is what niggers care about and torque is what faggots care about.

So what would be the perfect HP/torque ratio car and how come its not already invented?

horsepower, or ponytrottinghams, lets you go from ham to ham lickety-split like bangers and snipsnaps pie
torque, or downshirepullybuckets, lets you pull stuff like you went from london to leeds with a half trolly and a pence for every duke who spins jammy dodgers like a offal cunt mate.

Horse power is how fast you masturbate
torque is how hard you masturbate

get it dumbass

Because that ratio is nonsensical? It’s like asking what’s the perfect tire tread depth / number of cup holders ratio

COME AT ME BRO

Horsepower is what you feel, torque is how long you feel it.

Torque is the forward

Horsepower is the vroom

there really isnt one.
the ratio difference between a truck and a sports car would be huge.
each car owner would also want a different ratio in the same car

You forgot squeeze.

HP is linear force
Torque is rotational force

no one can torque to a horse, of course

HP is captain America

Torque is the Hulk

wtf cars don't have hitpoints you faggot

fuck you i use force

Torque is what you feel when you get on the gas.

Horsepower is how long you feel it up the tachometer.

Also,