S/fur

s/fur
When will bestiality be legalised and fursuits become mainstream?

Does calling the JLabels paintComponent method do anything?

Would've thought that repaint would have done that.

Looks like paintComponent needs a Graphics object as an argument, something I've never heard of before and don't understand reading the docmentation.

>beastiality
Fucking disgusting, this is why w/the rest hate you furfags.

First time i've seen you post cub

I saved it when I was younger, a lot of stuff from that artist. I just didn't feel like deleting it.

I think the Graphics object usually gets parsed in to it from the container (JPanel, JFrame etc.) that the JLabel is in when its paint method is called. Probably means it isn't intended to be called on its own. Eh, oh well. We can only try.

What happens if you do something hacky like this after you update the icon object with a new image:
jlabel1.setIcon(jlabel1.getIcon());

*bestiality

Also check em.

YOU LIAR!

Hm, slow night. I guess it is late.

Wtf kek

Doesn't work.
The JLabel is called "display" by the way.

Even though I've already added display to the content pane, repeating getContentPane().add(display); after the image change works.

So it sounds like figuring out how to get it to repaint would work.

Nope. I liked cub when I was like 15 or 16, but that was over 4 years ago.

Oh, so just call revalidate(); repaint(); on whatever container you added the display label to. That should force the interface to re-draw.

You'd think so, but apparently no.
Only adding it to the content pane again has worked.

My lecturer had trouble with that in class. Even after calling all of the repainting methods, nothing happened. The only way he could force a repaint was by using the mouse to resize the GUI window.

Try resizing the window with the mouse after setting the new image and see if it updates lol. That'll prove whether or not it's a painting issue.

Java is weird sometimes. Maybe we're missing something.

Resizing works.
Any chance your lecturer has figured a solution by now?

He just gave up haha. Thankfully I haven't run across the issue myself yet.

Maybe just make sure you're calling the repaint methods on the JFrame rather then say, only calling them on the JPanel that contains the JLabel which is contained within the JFrame. That's if you're not just directly adding the JLabel to the content pane of the JFrame.

It's in the JFrame's content pane.
Maybe I can get the content pane to repaint.

Try calling repaint on the content pane
getContentPane().repaint();

Doesn't work.
Content panes also have those things that let you repaint them with a graphics object, I notice.

You can call it without parsing a graphics object. That's strange though. I might be out of ideas.

Won't let me. "actual and formal argument lists differ in length".

What version of java are you using?

8.0_121
Turns out that I can do repaint without arguments on a content pane and JFrame, just not a JLabel.
Doesn't work though.

I guess neither of us can do anything, I can just wait for someone I know who's good with Java to wake up. But this is an obscure problem, so maybe they won't know either.

Good luck with that. I'm sure my lecturer would love to know too if you get it working.