ITT: Biggest Disappointments Of The Year

this literally has barely any good songs.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Sp1ks7PTzng
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just look at their p4k streak

Only good songs are:
>She's My Collar
>Charger
>Andromeda
>Busted and Blue
>Ascension
>Out Of Body
The rest are garbage.

Cozy tapes 2

One More Light
The backlash literally took a life

Holy shit I forgot how bad that album was. Why are so many rock/alt rock/punk/bands who used to play drums and guitars/ going into full EDM mode? Is this the future of rock/punk styled music? I hope not.

I honestly consider it a purposeful insult against Americans by Damon Albarn in response to the election.

If the set list isn't 90% older material when I see them live, I'm leaving. Don't care that it's their first real tour of the states or that I paid $200 for the tickets. I'll bounce after the Danny Brown set in a heartbeat if that faggot Damon tries to make this bullshit work on stage.

It made me lose interest in Gorillaz entirely.
I don't even listen to their other albums anymore. I'm just done with them.

It's just like 70s and 80s bands crashing and burning trying to be edgier in the 90s. It's bands that have only known huge success trying and failing to keep with the times, that will always exist.

From what I gather, the setlists are a mix of stuff from every album. They seem to play the "good" songs from the album, like Charger and She's My Collar a lot, along with the actually good songs they've made. I recommend you do some googling to find the recent setlists they've got.

I'm kind of the same, except I still enjoy their older stuff. It's not even that the new instrumentals were bad, it's that the amount of guests and lack of the actual "band" made it feel overcrowded and painful to listen to. If Damon used less guests and used the good ones correctly, he would have maybe made a semi-good record, (example: Grace Jones could have played more of a role on Charger, with Damon giving a bit more energy on it. Or maybe using D.R.A.M. a bit more on Andromeda. AND NOT PUTTING FUCKING DANNY BROWN ON SUBMISSION)

Nothing felt natural about anything on the album. The guests were random, usually untalentedmted nobodies, and their performances felt like they were forced at gunpoint. The mixing is bad, and the synth seques sound like Damon was just drunk or high out of his mind on god knows what just fucking with a keyboard

Good tip, thanks

>untalented nobodies
I'd say 50% of the guests were actually talented musicians, but they're performances were awful because of the album's structure. I'd blame Damon on this fully.

Damons interview on Sway in the morning was one of the most awkward things I've ever seen. He has two young black dudes tagging along talking him up like they owe him money, and it just feels like they're there for him to say "look, physical evidence that I don't hate black people". He goes out of his way to make obscure british linguistic references when he's the only non american or typical american style english speaker in the room, and he just has such a bored and disdainful demeanor the whole time. Sway is usually very friendly and talks up the shit out his guests, and while he did talk up Damon bevore the actual conversation began, you can tell he gets immediately put off by Damon.

I've never seen Damon like this. I think he's realizing his irrelevance in 2017, using politics as a way to vent (like an inverse Sup Forums, basically SJW shit), and possible using hard drugs (possible not for the first time).

>It's not even that the new instrumentals were bad
Most of them were pretty uninspired.
It's a half assed album all around, it suffers from a lack of imaginative drive and a lack of structural discipline. Many of the tracks don't seem to have any goals other than successfully putting artists A and B over beat C in some kind of directionless patchwork.

People can try and find all sorts of reasons as to why it was disappointing, but all it boils down to is Damon doing it wrong.

You could tell some of them were gifted and possible up and comers, but they were just forced in with such an urgency onto instrumentals that didn't even vibe with their style.

So yeah, it was a mess. The oversaturation of featured artists is also an apparent sign of Damon's laziness on his own album

>Very smalltime artist I like releases some new music last year with the promise of a full album this year
>Months go by, complete radio silence
>She got fucked over by the label or something and there's been no more music
kill me

There is only one pill left to take

the femboy catgirl pill

damon is honestly an alright guy, or at least he was in the early two thousands. he's always been a talented musician in my eyes and it's sad to see him release such a shitty album after he released The Magic Whip. same thing happened with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs back in 2013, when they released Mosquito. it was so bad that it actually made me depressed that one of my favorite art punk/alt rock bands went full edm.

w-what

wrong thread big boy

I listened to Humanz once and dropped it. It was much more fun to go listen to Plastic Beach again. That album still hasn't stopped growing on me every time I listen to it.

Anything not using live instruments sounded like they were made by 1 15 year old fucking with FL Studio for the first time and with no knowledge of mixing.

I'm amazed this shit evem got greenlit. Someone at some major label had to say okay, but maybe they did't even bother listening just because of Gorillaz track record with massive multi million dollar making singles like Feel Good Inc. Not that this record even sounds like it was made by the same people who made Demon Days or even Plastic Beach.

Well obviously they didn't get Dangermouse or Nakumura again, but it didn't even sound like the same man who made that one album on the ipad.

yeah, plastic beach is the correct way to use electronic instrumentals on a gorillaz record. it's a shame it doesn't get as much respect as it should.

Woah wtf, yyy released an album four fucking years ago!?!?! Downloading now... I feel really stupid lol

You're right, but it could stand more dynamic mixing and higher energy songs. It drags a bit sometime.

Although next to Humanz it may as well be Mozart

It's got like two good songs, the only thing enjoyable was Karen O. I'd stick with Fever To Tell, Show Your Bones, It's Blitz!, IS IS EP, and their other eps. You probably will just waste your time dude.

Fucking this. What a colossal failure after four essentially perfect albums. Win Butler's failure cannot be overstated.

Same replier

And WTF ITS BLITZ CAME OUT eight YEARS AGO?!? WTF WHERE IS MY LIFE GOING

I swear I feel like that album is still "new". That was eight years ago... Holy shit dude I don't even know what to say

He actually sounded pretty optimistic ln The Magic Whip

Going to the social...

I hope I'm wrong about his JUSTing and taking politics too seriosly. Its mere specumation on my part.

Its very nice to see the animated band media getting funding in conjuction with the Humanz release, all though it seems poorly managed or kept track of. The actors playing the characters didn't even know what storyline to follow in the "live interview"

Like how can the dude who wrote this song youtu.be/Sp1ks7PTzng

And likely masterminded the direction of the music video, do such a mental 180 and make something as low effort and pessimistic as Humanz? For an album called "Humanz", it literally lacked any ounce of soul or actual humanity

Going to the local I guess is the correct lyric.

Pretty drunk if you can't tell by my plentiful typos but wanna use this thread to vent my frustration with Damon

3 the song was great. The rest of the album is a collection of advill commercial background music.

I like this album more than I should. Maybe I'm just fangirling/fanboying over FTP, but I find their music to be the closest thing to pop I can enjoy.
Lotus Eater is probably the best song off of it, and Loyal Like Sid and Nancy.

The Fall was so much better than this shit album and that wasnt even that great

Listening to the new liars album right now, and not impressed so far

>no saturnz barz
>ascension and collar

While it's their worst album to date, I still couldn't help but to like it. I think they're just trying to have fun. Put Your Money On Me is the best song on the record. The messages in the songs are extremely lackluster and they 100% made it out of spite of Trump. Still okay imo.

but it was written before the election? and the only song somewhat about Trump is Let Me Out, but Damon even went on record and said that the song isn't about Trump, but that when he was brainstorming ideas with Pusha T he suggested that he imagined what it would be like if Trump won.
Damon also made a point when he announced the album to say that it literally wasn't about Trump. Stop victimizing yourself over nothing.

He can say whatever he wants. Theres only so many reasons why this album sounds the way it does.

How do you know it was written entirely ore election?

>calling reflektor essentially perfect

*pre election

That was coming from a mile away. The dude imploded more or less over a single unflattering image of himself online/ drug abuse/ and song writing adhd

Its fucking binaural beats man, what did you expect?

Not him but I miss when Will made actual tunes, not this aimless ambient wankery.

Again, what were you expecting? The point of the thread is records you actually had hope for that let you down.

What do you mean maaaan, this is real UK garage maaan, in a badman place maaan.

Bullshit
Overhyped? For sure. But "most" dissapointing? Foh

>Overhyped? For sure. But "most" dissapointing? Foh
I loved Summertime, it was one of my favourite albums that year it came out, so this being so boring was extremely disappointing

He fell off after GKMC anyway, but I was really hoping for a return to form

strobelite
saturn barz
submission
charger
andromeda
busted and blue
carnival
let me out
shes my collar
halfway to the halfway house
out of body

its just too long/not selective enough
keep in mind theres seven interludes

because that's what Damon said on the BBC Radio 4 interview or whatever it was the day the first 4 singles were released. I don't know why you can't believe that. Everyone thought the Father John Misty album was about the current political climate too but he denied that and according to the liner notes it was recorded in March of 2016. Life imitates art I suppose.

Okay, I believe you.
You can't blame this paranoia what with the sheer amount of celebrities acting out and blaming the election for their behavior currently

Out of Body sounds like what the retarded blue niggers from Avatar would listen to on the daily

what did he mean by this

Out of Body sounds like what the retarded blue niggers from Avatar would listen to on the daily

fucks the matter with you

The song is shit, the whole album is generic trap/edm shit.
Fuck's the matter with your taste?

generic trap/edm is a pretty bad description of this album regardless of liking it or not

What was the image?

The suburbs is like 3 good songs with filler how is that essentially perfect

What did he mean by this

whole album is a total piece of shit

Not a single song on their is worth listening to

The only song that is the closest to trap is Charger, which is coincidentally the most guitar heavy track on the album.

I was reasonably impressed by MBV's and Slowdive's reunion albums so I was immensely disappointed that Ride's didn't follow through.

damn is disappointing but you're under a rock if you think kendrick fell off