Advice needed from car people on Sup Forums. Is this car legit? Will it be a money pit? Planned on having it max 1 year

Advice needed from car people on Sup Forums. Is this car legit? Will it be a money pit? Planned on having it max 1 year

Other urls found in this thread:

sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/lexus-1997-ls400/6324727070.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/acura-legend-1993/6340548926.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/1998-lexus-es300-in-great/6290665301.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Will be a money pit simple as that

Because?

Because its a 20 year old euro car

forget that car op. get this one instead
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/lexus-1997-ls400/6324727070.html

You'll run into more maintenance problems than if you were to shell out a few more thousand for a more modern vehicle. Engine will likely crap out in you first.

don't listen to that dipshit, stuff like this is hit or miss, that's a good price for the car but you should take it for a ride and feel for yourself if the has any serious flaws, take it on the highway and some city stop/go driving plus if you are only going to have it for a year you will most likely put nothing into it but gas.

another one that will make you happy
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/acura-legend-1993/6340548926.html

ask The faggots here don't even own cars. Their mommy and daddy go out to walmart and buy their chicky tendies for them.

Let me put it to you this way, I've had to replace the alternator in the wife's Jetta three times already.

Her car is 11 years newer than that one.

VW and Audis are the same damn thing. I'll never trust a kraut engineered piece of shit again and neither should you.

yeah, if you want to buy old go japanese.

sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/1998-lexus-es300-in-great/6290665301.html

>wife's Jetta

Kill me

most women drive their cars straight into the ground in record time user, iv'e been there.

My wife has a leased 2001 jetta. Worst made fucking car Ive ever seen in my life, and I have owned 25+ cars and worked on cars my entire life.

The engine and transmission worked ok, but everything else on that car broke at one time or another. Wiper stalk fell off. Power knob on blaupunkt stereo fell off. Drivers side window glass fell into the door and wouldnt roll up (twice). Remote door locks would stop working stuck in locked or unlocked (real cute leaving the grocery store and this would happen). Shitty auto seatbelt thing got stuck once and I had to honk the horn from the driveway until my wife brought out a pair of butcher's shears so I could cut the fucking seatbelt off me to get out the car.

At the end of the lease I laughed in the sales guy's face when he tried selling us on a new one. Literally laughed at him. He looked depressed and gave up half a sentence into his pitch

Seriously fuck those early 2k jettas. What in the christ did they do assembling/designing those things? Thank fuckin god it was a lease. If we had bought it I would left it unlocked in the ghetto immediately to get rid of it.

HAD

Excuse me, HAD. Thank god past tense.

if you only want it for 1 year then its fine. even the most shit car can putter for a year. just change the oil and have the brakes looked at.

the car in question is a 96 a6, completely different.

>ask i've seen a bunch of 'is this a good car?' threads lately, is it the same guy or is /o/ fucked?

I have a 2014 A6 and love it. That said if money is an issue, and you’re looking at something that old, go with Japanese. Even regular maintenance is extremely expensive. If almost anything important breaks you will spend the asking price of that car repairing it.

It might be ok. I'd be extremely wary though.

Before our leased jetta I had an 89 cab and an 84 rabbit that were fucking bulletproof. Stupid engineering (engine sideways? Tranny under hood? Check.) and expensive parts. But bulletproof and reliable.

That jetta? Fuck that thing. Whoever designed and built it should be mule kicked in the balls.

The latter, probably

/o/ is filled with cucks nowadays

just buy a..

civic/accord/camry/corolla

20 year old Volkswagen:
Can’t take to a regular mechanic, have to take to a vw/Audi mechanic.
Not a lot of aftermarket parts because of how vw handles its distribution chain.
Usually lots of problems with unusual things, e.g., coil packs, AWD diff.
Depreciates as fast as a domestic car.
So it has luxury car repair costs, but doesn’t hold its value. Interiors were pretty good on them, though.

OP here. A friend offered this 190k miles 97 Impreza hatchback for $500. Everything is working and it has a new battery and passes smog some days ago. Only problem is rear suspension is fucked, but still totally driveable. Is this a better option as a first car?

OP where are you at and what's your budget?

I'm a middle aged redneck been working on cars my whole life. I'll find you something ok as a first car.

You're gonna spend a few hundred bucks fixing any car you buy. $500 is nothing for a car like this. Just take it.

Underrated and this. Or opt out for the luxury of toyota and go for ls430. Fucking lovely ass car and am planning to buy it as my daily driver for life with a months worth of savings. Imagine, 1 month, 1 car, 4 LYFE. Life can't get better that that and insurance will be less than whatever the fuck you pay now, ify our parents don't.

>middle aged redneck
>browsing Sup Forums
>redneck
umm yeah I think you should pass bro

What could go wrong in a 20 yr old German car? At least repairs and maintenance won't be expensive.

>first car

you didn't say that in your op, depends on how bad the rear is but fuck yeah it's a better deal, i v'e had plenty of 500 dollar cars when i was younger for fucks sake dude i drove a 1990 miata with 180k on for 2 years, paid 500 and sold it for 400, never even changed the fuckin oil.

"A car like this"

What's so special about that junkmobile?

>What in the christ did they do assembling/designing those things?
Made in Mexico, senor.

OP, Lexus/Honda tech here, I would avoid older German cars like the plague, unless they are coming with a warranty, you’re going to end up shelling out a lot more money in the long run than what the car is worth, doing work on any German car is a chore in and of itself, not a lot of room to work and really weird tolerances for everything. Not to mention there is almost a sensor for everything in those cars

Go for the Subaru OP

Its a Krautmobile. Congratulations on noticing it's an entirely different model from a brand under the same umbrella, but I guarantee you it's a piece of shit.

Much better deal. Even with the suspension problems. That's not nearly as much of a headache fixing.

I had a 1986 Audi 5000 S until last year when the transmission finally shit the bed.

Loved that car, old audis are great, but yeah, you'll be sinking a lot of money into it.

I had to replace the headliner, the radiator, flush the transmission fluid twice, deal with lots of power break problems.

Having said that, I only paid 1000 for it, insurance was cheap, and it was a boss looking car. It drove like a dream - super smooth handling. Not much power, but they're cruisers, so who needs it?

Currently driving a 1999 Honda Accord EX with 350,000 km, I do all my mechanical work on it since it's so easy access everything and can get cheap parts at Pick n Pull.

I swear the body will go on it before the mechanical/transimssion.

My buddy had a 96' A6, it got hailed on and it was a write off. not even worth the trouble OP