strawpoll.me/13790952/r
youtube.com/watch?v=O2EeYlOhY-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=aI1ItXX3QV0
youtube.com/watch?v=9VHA0H8peZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=QIedr_9_9hA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Power Metal!

unironically like blacklodge

Who the fuck likes Blacklodge ironically?

svartskog.blogspot.com

just found this blog randomly and it has tons of seriously kvlt shit for free, check it out

Recc me some dissoshit techdeath like Ulcerate and Mitochondrion

How many fucking black metal covers has the "knight on the horse" thing?

too bad it got tainted by C*ttle Decap

How

their bassist said that was his favorite black metal records IIRC

I never understood the appeal of cattle decuckpitation its basically 1 minute deathcore

It's literally "deathgrind" that appeals to metalcore kids
Gesundrian isn't as good as Doom Cult anyway

baby's first deathcore and faux-slams

whatcha blasting /metal/? Rate it too.

pic related: 8.5/10

yes

lol?

pic related is awesome. 9/10

Chelsea Wolfe's Pain Is Beauty - it's solid

just listened to south of heaven for the first time in literally over a decade
no idea what I was in for
as soon as that intro riff came on, instantly remembered how to play it and sang along to every damn track
apparently I been motorized all that shit
nostalgia is awesome!

your blog is total shit
quit self advertising

>grooves in odd time signatures

I know folk black, but does folk death exist? Any recs?

Holy shit I forgot this band existed. I really liked their first album. thanks, user.

Wintersun kind of

It's pretty good. I'd give it like a 7.5/10

early Opeth?

yeah its a great album. one of my faves from Anaal Nathrak.

still haven't made my mind up on their newest album yet.

Early Amorphis?

Eluveitie, at least their first three albums

It definitely has some killer songs on it, but it does seem like a big departure from stuff on ItCotBW. Most notably the themes of the songs are a lot simpler it feels. I definitely think Depravity Favors the Bold, Hold Your Children Close and Pray for Oblivion, We Will Fucking Kill You, and Extavaganza! were solid though.

Blod draum has some weird folk shitting

Departure as in the last few albums have been kinda getting away from it thematically more, not just the new one.

I also have one of these

why is every metal """"""news"""""" site so terrible. Its either like metalhammer or metalsucks were they only cover the bands that pay them, or its like Death Metal Underground where "everything sucks, no fun allowed, every band I dislike is -core"

what's op's album?

new Boris
two songs in, it's nice so far

There was a time I liked dudeweedao metal and followed the sludgelord and I think it was a good news source, amatour but at least he commented a lot of new releases in a sane way

Ensiferum maybe?

>I share a general with people that don't know Blacklodge
the absolute state of this general

Blacklodge - Solarkult, you absolute tourist

i'm not sure what to make of this

I didn't start this strawpoll but I've been keeping it going since I was curious. After about 24 hours these are the standings of the state of nu-/metal/.
>black metal lapping competition, securing its spot as majority genre with more than double the votes of the 2nd place contenders
>death metal has slightly pulled ahead of the previous three way tie between death-doom-heavy, but any of them are liable to overtake the other two for 2nd place again
>prog, power, thrash have small, devoted bases
>the absolute state of melodeath and folk

strawpoll.me/13790952/r

Fuggin black metal tourists, you are everywhere, I swear If I had a coin for every "I don't like metal but I like bm" I have heard I'd be a rich fuck

this sucks

>classic heavy metal ahead of prog

absolutely disgusting

fuck off progeshitter

if you like bm but dont like metal, then you actually dont like bm either. only meme bands

exactly, and a lot of clowns spam muh ambientgaze forest rock for that exact reason

it's been absolutely minimal at best lately. most of the bm being posted was being contributed to the tourist filter chart

black metal is my favourite subgenre of metal, but tbqh i mostly like the first wave stuff. maybe ill start identifying as a speed metal fan instead to separate myself from the clowns

Who is first wave aside from Bathory?

from venom to blasphemy imho

early sodom and destruction, hell hammer, celtic frost, bulldozer. that kind of stuff. im not going to get into an argument over what is and what isnt black metal, but i think we can agree on blackened speed metal being an appropriate label to put on it.

*blocks your path*

sodom and slayer

I always asked myself wtf was happening in europe at that time that spawned such early evil bands

i like to call haunting the chapel a black metal EP, triggers a lot of people

it's black metal. most of the old, greasy metalheads that lived through the period that I've talked to consider it black metal (but that doesn't also make them not thrash or speed, genre naming isn't mutually exclusive). the gist is that the norwegians didn't invent black metal ex nihilo, only codified modern conventions, so it sounds more convincing to modern internet sensibilities to call them first wave

Show No Mercy is first wave black metal

>all those black metal tourists

why is there a first wave bm and not an "official" first wave dm lol

first wave death would be kreator and early death

hey guys, look what i found
youtube.com/watch?v=O2EeYlOhY-Q
good ol' heavy

Because first wave death is just OSDM.

But It's not the same type of thing, "first wave bm" is a totally different genre from the rest of bm, while even Possessed was not too different from what later dm sounded like. I guess it's kreator and the other germans as well. Funny they invented bm and dm

yeah, the fact that thrash and black are in no way mutually exclusive is something i always i bring up whenever some genre autist wants to debate what is and what isnt black metal. i just wanted to point out that haunting the chapel is the "blackest" of all slayer releases. love the atmosphere and guitar tone on that EP

this. it really doesnt bring anything to the table to talk about first wave dm. it would also be very confusing as several of the bands that would be included under a first wave dm label also falls under the first wave bm label

(dmu is the only place i've seen that really examines metal in any historic-cultural context)

Because death metal didn't really go through waves much like black metal did. The genre was spawned in 1985 by Possessed, and by 1989 many of the formative albums that would propel the genre forward (Altars Of Madness, Realm Of Chaos, Severed Survival) had came out. With black metal there was far more of a disconnect. I subscribe to the theory that Venom started the genre with their debut Welcome To Hell, some don't consider it black metal and see it as just a sloppy speed metal album, I see it as more than that. From then on black metal as a genre would go through weird developments. Hellhammer released a few demos in 1983 which presented a taste of what was to come in the genre, Triumph Of Death is a demo that's equal parts punk and metal with throaty grunts that add the blackened edge to the music (alongside the very punch production values). By 1984 Apokalyptic Raids came out and you had the basis for whatmany of the more bestial bands in the genre would attempt to do. Bathory's self titled in 1983 was Venom what Venom was to Motorhead, and albums like The Return and UTSOTBM pushed the envelope even further. You could argue that black metal reach its pure conception with 1985's The Return which sounds like a thrashier version of what bands like Gorgoroth would do in the 90's. What really separates black metal from death metal in this style is the lack of a real concrete point of conception. As I said earlier, it's very cut and dry that 1985 was when death metal first spawned and 89 was when the genre became its own. Black metal took over a decade to become its own real thing and it's harder to pinpoint a black metal equivalent to 1989. 1992 might be a good year to ballpark when black metal truly became its own separate entity from genres like speed and thrash (Darkthrone's debut black metal album, Burzum debut, Immortal debut, Marduk debut) but even then albums like Worship Him and Ritual came out the year prior.

DAM THE EMBRACERS OF NEUTRALITY

To just conclude everything I said in a more concise manor, death metal became its own thing with far less trouble than black metal did. You had albums like Strappado, Ritually Abused, Scream Bloody Gore, and Rotten Church which came between 1985 and 1989 that all had death metal elements but still had a very thrash edge to them. You can look at an album like Realm Of Chaos by Bolt Thrower and see that as a pure death metal affair, it shed behind all the primordial thrash influences found in earlier death metal acts to become its own entity, same with albums like Consuming Impulse and Severed Survival. Even though black metal had been around a lot longer than death metal at this point, it never really came to its own like death metal did, even Bathory still had a hint of thrash in their sound on Blood Fire Death. Then when you consider all the bands that just tweaked with the formula while not quite getting there like Tormentor, Sarcofago (and most Brazilian thrash at the time), Root, Sabbat, Evil Blood, Mayhem on Deathcrush, Sodom, Blasphemy, and so on,it's easy to see why black metal's 1st wave was far more substantial than death metal's in retrospect.

That fuzzy transitory period between first wave and Norwegian bm actualizing itself is so comfy.

youtube.com/watch?v=aI1ItXX3QV0

PAY TO BE BORN

PAY TO DIE

I love Electric Wizard and Sleep. Where do I go next?
>inb4 nu-male meme shit

*googles stoner doom*
*set for a month*

This looks like some Job For A Cowboy shit.

what's spawned more clones, Blaspherit or Immocantation?

Blaspherit, since they have an entire genre dedicated to them.

Blaspherit due to the fact that clones have been popping up for far longer. Caverncore only ever really took off after Portal started doing it and even then it only became prevalent this decade when the OSDM revival went into full swing. There are more Dismentombed clones than there are Immocantation ones. Meanwhile war metal has had a steady stream of releases since its inception. Bands like Revenge, Black Witchery, and Proclamation spread it to a wider audience and there's no shortage of bands trying to follow in their footsteps.

interesting stuff, thanks

it is

Thanks guys, very helpful

>nearly 5 million views
Where the fuck do these bands even come from? I swear to god it's like overnight that some generic band with a female vocalist suddenly shows up on youtube with a couple million of views despite the fact that no one ever talks about them.
youtube.com/watch?v=9VHA0H8peZ0

literally go on stoner meadow of doom you sucker

SHUT
IT
DOWN

what the fuck is this trite

I'm still pissed that whoever made this never put on The Satanist by Behemoth. Anyone who was around when it came out remembers how badly everyone shilled that album, it was basically the death metal equivalent to Sunbather.

cursory search shows they're on the same label as Dragonforce, Van Canto, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius and other such cheese. that's probably why

Lmao these guys have more views than 80% of the bands /metal/ constantly talks about
youtube.com/watch?v=QIedr_9_9hA

is that supposed to be a bad thing at all or something

This is like really really bad
True. I always asked myself what people found in behemoth, especially since they became le ebin fedora laveyan philososhitters with token vocals (the satanist)

>Vocalist does generic mid-range screams
>Not bad but nothing special
>BUT
>She has no dick
>Check the comments
>Best vocalist ever

EVERY
SINGLE
FUCKING
TIME

disagree, that album is more blackened death

Bestial Devastation =/= Left Hand Path, and you have to be a retard not to consider LHP OSDM.

First wave dm exists, separate from what we usually call OSDM, it's just that it exists in this weird superposition of death, thrash and even black.

well isn't first wave bm kinda in that same position as well

No, it's far less brutal and less diluted. Its ties to Vemon and Bathory are stronger and more defined.

As this guy said, , death metal didn't really come in distinct waves like black metal did. Sure, you could say that Sepultura, Slaughter, Poison, Necrovore, etc were "first wave death", but since it didn't take long from the genres earliest pioneers to rise from brutal thrash metal, to death metal be fully realized (max around 3-4 years) it doesn't make sense to class it as a "wave".