Funeral Albums

rateyourmusic.com/genre/Funeral Doom Metal

Other than these bands, what album makes people think about funerals?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w0WuidNGnIY
rateyourmusic.com/list/Belphybear/drone-folk_funeral-folk/
rateyourmusic.com/list/badliver/the_graveside_service_rymers_ultimately_funeral_songs_/
rateyourmusic.com/list/_Haemorrhage_/songs_that_i_want_played_at_my_funeral__my_favourite_depressive_songs_/
rateyourmusic.com/list/DarkIsMyDay/funeral_songs/
youtube.com/watch?v=bsXDR3uqy5E
rateyourmusic.com/list/sylvaincourtoux/sombre_is_beautiful___the_darkest_album_ever_made__a_list_in_progress_which_demand_suggestions_/
rateyourmusic.com/genre/New Orleans Brass Band/
rateyourmusic.com/genre/New Orleans R&B/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you could play any coil album at a spooky cyberpunk funeral

>tfw The Funeral Party

The Ape of Naples

This
youtube.com/watch?v=w0WuidNGnIY

You did not read the OP.

>Other than these bands

Joy Division - Closer

Sopor Aeternus - Dead Lovers' Sarabande

Came to post this.
Dead Lover's Sarabande and Bara no seidou are as funeralcore as it gets.

What are others?

rateyourmusic.com/list/Belphybear/drone-folk_funeral-folk/

rateyourmusic.com/list/badliver/the_graveside_service_rymers_ultimately_funeral_songs_/

rateyourmusic.com/list/_Haemorrhage_/songs_that_i_want_played_at_my_funeral__my_favourite_depressive_songs_/

man I love malice mizer even if it's kinda flowery

They still play better than Moi dix Mois. Bara no Seidou had each song but two composed by Mana. So, you expect at least some quality from a band with him. But every Moi dix Mois album I heard has been shittier than Malice Mizer's worst songs. A shame because Bara no Seidou is easily their best. Not as poppy as the songs with Gackt, not as dated as the songs with Tetsu. Even their singles from that time were shaping up to make an album as strong, or at least par with Bara no Seidou, but they split before the potential follow up album could happen. What did we get since? Fucking Moi dix Mois.

rateyourmusic.com/list/DarkIsMyDay/funeral_songs/

I love Tetsu-era MM though.
But yeah when it comes to post-Mizer, between Mana and Közi, I tend to prefer Közi's work more.
His 2 solo albums and singles were top notch, and he demonstrated that he's as vital as Mana is for the Malice Mizer sound.
What Mana did with M10M was too predictable, and in the end he saturated his gimmicks, you can only stuff so much harpsichords and organs and spooky gawfeek sound effects in so much different songs. At one point it all started to sound predictable.
Közi did the opposite, and did something that wasn't like Malice Mizer, but didn't went the pop route either (like Gackt or Klaha did). In the end, his music, as eclectic as it was, still has the Malice Mizer sound in it, which is amazing. And in many cases, I get more of a MM feel with Közi's music than with Moi dix Mois'.
Közi also did a soundtrack for a novel book, it's all instrumental except for the last track, which has a female vocal (who is also the author of the book).
Pretty atmospheric and Közi-ish, it reminds me a lot of his tracks on Bara no seidou.
youtube.com/watch?v=bsXDR3uqy5E

rateyourmusic.com/list/sylvaincourtoux/sombre_is_beautiful___the_darkest_album_ever_made__a_list_in_progress_which_demand_suggestions_/

rateyourmusic.com/genre/New Orleans Brass Band/

>The bands also perform in jazz funerals, one of the sacred traditions of New Orleans.

Radiohead - Motion Picture Soundtrack
Blind Willie Johnson - Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground

>what album makes people think about funerals?

I wish Eve of Destiny had lasted more than a single EP and random songs found in compilations.

And that EP was/is hard as fuck to come by because the record label scammed everyone who pre-ordered the album. I think only a fraction of people got it.
I sort of prefer Közi's solo, but EoD was good too. Haruhiko Ash is a funny guy.

Were XA-VAT, ZIZ, Dalle, and Vamquet good bands? I have not heard anything from Kozi since Loki 'n' Roll and thought that Catharsis was better overall.

Out of those, I only heard XA-VAT, ZIZ, and a bit of Dalle.
XA-VAT doesn't sound a lot like Közi's compositions (I think it was mostly music by the vocalist, who was in goatbed and cali gari), but it sounds like 80s new wave/synth pop, which is also kind of közi's thing.
ZIZ does sound more like Közi, and he is the leader and vocalist of this band. In a way, I think ZIZ is a continuation of his solo project, except it's now a full band and the other members also write music. Közi's songs are unmistakebly him, some other music composed by the other guys is hit and miss IMO. ZIZ did their own versions of Közi songs like Night Creature (a jazzy version).

>Loki 'n' Roll and thought that Catharsis was better overall.
Catharsis is definitely easier to get into, it's what people expected from him, and he delivered. Loki I feel it was more him doing whatever he wanted to do, and I love it for that.
A lot of people didn't like the busy, noisy layers of guitar distortion and voice filters, and at first I didn't either, but it's the kind of music that gets better (much better) the more you listen to it, at least to me.
Curious Nuance is probably my favorite Közi song, maybe of all time.

What is Yu~ki up to? He is the only guy from the band that has not done other things before or after Malice Mizer.

rateyourmusic.com/genre/New Orleans R&B/

Before Malice Mizer, Yu~ki was in one or two other bands, small indie bands though, never came across any of their demos (if they released any).
Post-Malice Mizer, he only worked with Közi, writing the lyrics for the song "Memento" (which was a song dedicated to Kami).
And non-music related, but he was also selling some fashion accesories, I think his brand was called Mother Earth or something like that. He did mostly necklaces with stones and some metal crafting, I think he sold his stuff through Mana's Midi Nette store at some point.
Also, he's been showing up on Mana's dis inferno events along with Közi to perform as Malice Mizer, they've been doing this for a few years now, just the three remaining members though, Közi was on vocals.
They want to do a 25th anniversary reunion this year, and Mana has tweeted about wanting to contact Klaha, seems the guy has really disappeared from everyone's radar.