What are some musical equivalents to the "seinfeld is unfunny" phenomenon?

What are some musical equivalents to the "seinfeld is unfunny" phenomenon?

Aka something that at the time it was made was very innovative and good, but now that its ideas have been copied so often people just being introduced to it now consider it bland or overdone.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9P68Q17m1Go
youtube.com/watch?v=ZmvTi0EJlMg
youtube.com/watch?v=i5OeoVkTDLM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Almost all 90s hip hop

early emo or whatever you want to call it

Shoegaze died with Loveless.

early rock/blues is the biggest one

I think Seinfeld is very funny but I don't watch many modern comedies because they're mostly really bad. I like It's always sunny in philadelphia though. What is this meme "seinfeld is unfunny"?

The Velvet Underground & Nico's ideas have been explored to the extent where the tracks on that album feel primitive and uncreative in comparison.

A lot of common practice period western art music has been feeling like this to me as well. Like, if you look at just those three eras (Baroque, Classical, Romantic) you can hear that they all do one particular thing really well while being lacking in other aspects. Come the 20th century all of the good aspects of each era really get put together and thus they start to feel kinda obsolete in comparison.

It's called the Seinfeld effect. It deals with so many modern comedies doing what Seinfeld introduced that to people looking back to Seinfeld for the first time, it doesn't have the same impact.

IMO, people who experience this should probably pay close attention to the writing to see how Seinfeld is still great

Black Sabbath and early metal. It' so simple in comparison to how the genre has grown.

HL2 desu

Ramones

Pet Sounds.

It was very ahead of its time and one of the best albums ever made IMO, but every time I try to show it to someone even if they're really into music, it doesn't click for them.

venom

>it doesn't click for them
>Sunshine pop doesn't "click"
Please don't.

Try listening to old Vangelis (not film scores) now that we've gone through cloud rap beats and vaporwave and all this other post-ironic crib from the 80's shit.

Honestly, I would argue that a lot of the anti-Beatles sentiment on this board is due to this effect

hi

Spiral is still breddy good

I've got the opposite opinion, metal these days is all fucking awful and completely identical, screaming gutteral shit is garbage and all the singers these days lack individuality. Beyond just that everyone seems to have forgotten how to make a catchy guitar riff.

(not true btw)

for me the ultimate example is Brian Eno's minimalistic shit. Why was this ever impressive or praised by anyone?

Phil Spector's Wall of Sound.
It's so ubiquitous for those techniques and techniques derived from his original ideas to be used in music that I think a lot of people would struggle to understand what the big deal is even if it's pointed out in the music

WAS one of the best albums ever made being the key

MGMT maybe? What they were doing felt kinda unique when "Time to Pretend" first dropped as a single, but that brand of indie/synthpop has been beaten into the ground over the past 10 years or so.

>is on Sup Forums
>doesn't believe a normie wouldnt like something in mu core

The Wall of Sound also straight up just doesn't work these days with how hi-fidelity our modern speakers and headphones are compared to what those songs were actually being played on back in the day.

It was made to get the most out of shitty tinny radio and record player speakers from the 60's.

Happend to MASH first.

>that fucking episode where everyone has nightmares
how the fuck did they get away with that much blood on the most popular primetime show at the time?

It was back in the day when amps were relatively low gain too so you had to really bite into the instrument to make it sound heavy. A similar thing has happened to the modern heavy drum sound with studio processing all the life out of it.

Most of his work is. The City, Direct, and Soil Festivities are all still excellent

The Beatles, really. Most of their stuff doesn't really sound all that groundbreaking. One that has caught my attention, though - Dark Side of the Moon had an incredible punch when it came out because of how good it sounded when it came out (seriously, the recording in it is insane), nowadays it doesn't sound that spetacular because our recording abilities have gone much further.

you are wrong. seinfeld is still fucking hilarious unless youre a child that needs a bunch of yelling and randomness to laugh.

What shows (besides Always Sunny and Curb) are similar to Seinfeld?

Dark Side of the Moon is definitely this to me.
There's not much I can fault it on, but I also can't find a lot I find spectacular about it either

agree on Dark Side. Some good songs bookended by a bunch of bland instrumentals that sound like padding.

>>

No, you just need a laugh track to tell you instead.

I kind of feel this way with those early 2000s Indie bands, like Arctic Monkeys and the like. At the time I remember that being a very interesting thing that hadn't really reached the mainstream before, but we've been stuck with rehashes of that sort of thing to the present day.

Whenever I hear really shitty generic pop-indie it always sounds like they just took funeral as the blue print and then tried to write music for middle schoolers.

CYE >>>>> Seinfeld

t bh

This

The obvious example is the Beatles. None of their albums are really that fun to listen to.

That said, Seinfeld is still fucking hilarious

>Aka something that at the time it was made was very innovative and good, but now that its ideas have been copied so often people just being introduced to it now consider it bland or overdone.

Giorgio Moroder
Howlin Wolf
Fleetwood Mac
Tom Petty
The Edge
Tori Amos
Moby

U2 is the ultimate answer

I don't know much about music, but I do know that Curb Your Enthusiasm totally ripped off Seinfeld. I can't believe Jerry hasn't sued that bald headed faggot

Madlib/J Dilla. These guys were pioneers. Unfortunately, the "lo-fi hip hop" movement has killed everything they built.

I assume Stereolab - Dots & Loops, because I finally checked it out recently and it just sounded like a generic indie rock album to me so I assume it must be from a time when that sound wasn't generic yet

moby is more a case of being way past its peak

waaah waaah something new ruined something old
get over yourself

Moby fucked himself a bit by loaning out so much of his work to adverts and the like

Rem definitely

the only way to overcome this is to listen to murmur over and over until it clicks

Peter Gabriel's 80s albums.

>The Velvet Underground & Nico's ideas have been explored to the extent where the tracks on that album feel primitive and uncreative in comparison.
I can't believe there are plebeians who actually think this.

"illmatic is overrated"

90's Rock, mainly Grunge.

Pixies

80s hip hop would make heads laugh their fucking dicks off just by listening to it if there wasn't respect

Anyone else feel something similar to the Seinfeld effect but with Monty Python?

>implying Sup Forumscore isn't normie
Holy shit dude, go out

Not really. People just have no perspective on them. Just too fucking big.

Depends on your definition of normie. I've met people who were kinda normie but had listened to quite a bit of Sup Forumscore and liked more than a handful of albums I showed them, while others were turned off by fucking Radiohead. Is Sup Forumscore normie? Yeah, compared to some peeps here. Is it normie compared to the general population? That's more of a case by case basis.

They truly are overrated in terms of their dynamics. People literally act like they were the first band to play things at varying intensity.

desu I don't think very many post rocks did what GYBE was doing, except maybe superficially

They still revolutionized rock music and weren't appreciated much in their time even though dozens and dozens of bands have taken something from them. Their new work though is so offensively bad that anyone who defends it just doesn't get the band.

It's as true as it gets. TVU&N influenced an entire genre of music and its smaller subgenres. So many different artists approached the different styles on this album and optimized it, explored it more, etc. TVU&N is no different from Chuck Berry at this point since there's non-existent depth in the actual compositions for them to be timeless like the works of The Beatles, Beefheart, Stravinsky, etc.

huh? show me a song that has done the same idea as "I'm Waiting for The Man" but done better/more creatively. Same with "Heroin", "Sunday Morning", "There She Goes Again", "Venus in Furs" etc

>non-existent depth
>not timeless like the works of The Beatles

what in the fuck are u saying. "Heroin" and "Sunday Morning" have more emotion and compositional depth than any Beatless song

Guitar based "rock"

Oh Jesus Christ, please kill yourself

The reason why The Beatles aged poorly is because it was copied by billions of people who just did the same thing over and over

The reason The Velvet Underground still sounds fresh and could be the AOTY even today is because the people they influenced did not go on to make the music they made, they were inspired to follow in the idealistic footsteps of The Velvets and make whatever the fuck they wanted

The Easybeats were inspired by The Beatles, Throbbing Gristle was inspired by The Velvets

Does a Larry David version of the "Bait" graphic exist?

But to answer OP: Slap bass. First it was all innovative and funky. Now that it is featured in every Top 40 corporate concoction, East Coast gangsta trap, and Icelandic children's edutainment singalong, the novelty is long gone.

Still not completely exhausted, and few are truly trying to anyway.

heroin absolutely though they do at least have some songs on par with something like sunday morning post rubber soul

agreed, as some one who started listening to hip hop around 95, most of 80s hip hop has a hard time holding my attention. i fear that the same will happen to what i listen to now. i remember listening to my dad's vinyls as a kid and being blown away by certain albums and being underwhelmed by ones many consider classics. i worry the brilliance of madvilliany or the commentary of tpab is going to be lost on the next generation.

>brilliance of madvilliany or the commentary of tpab is going to be lost on the next generation.
Literally why though, if it's not brilliant in their era or the commentary is not relevant to their era, surely that is a good thing and shows they've progressed, why can't you be grateful you can enjoy things in the only period of time where they will matter? It doesn't diminish its value now if it becomes less valuable later.

Trip Hop/Downtempo as a whole.

Even Paul's Boutique? I'd say the production on that one is still timeless.

These are correct
You can't even listen to pre-91 shoegaze and not go "well it could've been loveless"

old music is very hard to judge on its own merits outside of the wider context and against subsequent innovations, and that goes double for hip hop
however i do think something on the level of madvillainy or TPAB is developed enough to be timeless

#notall, i'm just making broad strokes. i'm not saying artists back then were incapable of making something significant beyond the moment, just talking about the overall zeitgeist compared to how far the genre has gone since.

The reason Paul's Boutique and It Takes a Nation can still stand up is because what they did was soon after basically made illegal so they are able to be perpetually fresh

in addition to just being generally brilliant
still, if some young guy starting now rapped in that style it would be seen as a joke.

>I'm Waiting for The Man
Stooges did it a couple years later with a much more abrasive and heavy tone with vocals that don't suck while not being as boringly repetitive.
>Heroin
Post-rock and rock with minimalist build structures in general did a lot more with more interesting dynamics, harmonic progressions, electronic effects, rhythms, and instrumentation.
>Sunday Morning
Most forms of indie pop and dream pop added more interesting rhythmic elements and timbral manipulations while the best has circumvented generic pop structures.
>There She Goes Again
Jangle Pop went beyond using just four chords while also being more dynamic and actually having multiple guitars and bass play wildly different parts.
>Venus In Furs
Noise Rock as soon as Les Rallizes Denudes was already creating even more textured music than was at the same time more melodically interesting with far more overtone work being done as well.
Heroin is basically the same two measures with slight variations the whole song. Sunday Morning is generic pop music I, iv, V, vi but with a vii in there as well all played in a straightforward direction. It doesn't get more boring than that.

This album comes to mind.

i worry the music will be lost on the next generation. i enjoyed talking to my father about his favorite albums. many were lost on me and i bet it was kind of disappointing to hear your son doesn't feel the same way about a piece of music

This is utterly bullshit. TVU&N has signs of literally everything to come out of alt rock/indie rock/post-punk and their subgenres. The Beatles have aged well because their progressions are far more interesting than many that came after them while also not being as wanky as guys like Floyd or Radiohead.

Industrial music in general was mainly influenced by psychedelic music and post-WW2 composers, not TVU. Do your research. Funnily enough, a lot of the music that did influence Industrial bands were...unsurprisingly, influenced by The Beatles!

>buhhhh simplicity or repetition in music = bad, the only good music is overwrought and ""complex"" with 22+ chords buhhhhhh
I guess all krautrock is just pure shit

Honestly if you can show me a song like Heroin that's the same but better, I'll suck your ugly dick. And don't show me some GYBE shit and try to convince me it's better because "it has a plethora of succulent textural-temporal dynamics" or some other pseud self-jack crap. You sound insufferably pretentious as it is

>Most forms of indie pop added more interesting rhythmic elements and timbral manipulations
Did you cum from writing this smut?

>I guess all krautrock is just pure shit
Never said this. Krautrock offers a ton of variation and complex songwriting over its repetition. TVU offers almost none of either of those.

GYBE is the premier example of doing that style of builds so well. As their tracks go on, the music increases in complexity along with the instrumentation getting more layered, and the dynamic range is much wider as well, so the build to the repetition isn't one dimensional like on Heroin. Along with other things they usually add like samples/field recordings, GYBE has displayed a level of creativity in this style that TVU has objectively failed to do so.

>Did you cum from writing this smut?
TVU and indiefags, everyone.

>GYBE: *adds 7/11 sample*
objectively fucking genius

>music must be complex to be good
Are you sure you actually enjoy music?

Just kill yourself, retard.

Not complex, but it needs to have a level of depth to it. More simply made music often engages the listener through being brash, abrasive, aggressive, energetic. While more complex music doesn't necessarily offer those ,often being softer, it offers a wide range of melodic or harmonic or instrumentation or timbral complexity of some sort for the listener to engage with. TVU offers none of this at all whatsoever at the highest level. The only thing they came close to offering was atmosphere, and that compared to contemporary groups is offered in limited supply due to how much the band limited themselves in the various realms of songwriting (structure in particular.)

>more simply made music often engages the listener through being brash, abrasive, ag-
no it doesn't
youtube.com/watch?v=9P68Q17m1Go

you're literally just typing nonsense at this point
>TVU offers none of this at all whatsoever at the highest level
you're just objectively wrong please stop typing forever

>posts Aphex as an example
You're delusional if you think anything on SAWII is simple, it's far more sophisticated than your Velvet Undershit. I literally mentioned manipulation of instrumentation and timbre which SAWII goes all out on. What the fuck is wrong with you?

I have never talked to someone who was into music that dislikes this album. All of my friends who like music are in love with it and came to see Brian live with me

You should get friends with better taste

>brash, abrasive, aggressive, energetic
Is Lichen any of that? No, your "argument" is total shit. Lichen is simple, you just don't want to admit it because in your mind "simple = bad". "Oh but the timbral dynamics!" stfu. You just ignore all VU dynamics which Cale brought a lot of. Regardless, who give a fuck but pretentious twats? It's about how it makes you feel--and VU made a lot of people feel. Again, it sounds like you don't actually enjoy music

Here's more bad music:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZmvTi0EJlMg

youtube.com/watch?v=i5OeoVkTDLM

btfo

>Lichen is simple
No it's not. It's constantly introducing/removing a lot of sounds within its instrumentation as the track goes on while also using a ton of electronic effects to increasing/decrease the presence of background noise, full stereo movement, etc.. Harmonically it's constantly adding new overtones as it goes on. Just because it doesn't harmonically progression in a manner the average person is more used to doesn't make it simple. God you're fucking retarded.

>Low
>Pavement
Both trash as well. They make loud noisy walls of sound, too, but they lack the aggression of certain bands that do that style and the depth in overtones/layers/technique that other bands of that style do. Indie garbage is the worst music ever made. Simple music with no depth all for the sake of muh sad boy atmosphere.

This is the opposite of the Seinfeld is unfunny meme
It'd be like if every other sitcom ever after Seinfeld just became a worse Seinfeld

If you think any album on Sup Forumscore is normie, then you are completely out of touch with reality.

Kanye is on the chart and everybody knows about him