/daily/ - Disappointing Bread

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

kaiwhiston.bandcamp.com/album/fissure-price
sketismusic.bandcamp.com/album/hartyga-project-feat-andrey-bardin-fugue-for-steppe-and-organ-skmr-133
somewhereoffjazzstreet.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

stop all daily threads NOW

hampus' loaf looks like some sort of cocoon

Listening to infinity, the wall of sound is so flippinggggg good!

The are some keyboards somewhat familiar into the mix and the composition is also pretty good.

Soul Driven sounds like heaven
Ants is an absolute banger!

Current rating: 85/100 would recommend to eveyone, etc.

townsend is the absolute worst, i would rather eat hampus' dry bread cocoon than listen to him

this album is great

how would you know if you haven't listened to him

wdhmbt

kaiwhiston.bandcamp.com/album/fissure-price
Recommending this for anyone who likes SD Laika

Also nyarlatho is cut from the final 4 in song tourney, will post my thoughts later
----------
@trip up, Rodriguez, Letov

RESTRICTIONS: minimum of 2 minutes, no more than 7. Song can be any genre, but not jazz.

Is SD short for "space dog", "small dick" or "some dumb"?

if you dont have a production fetish you havent missed much, half of his career is just trying to recreate Dirty Boy

Some late onions on this week's listenalong.

Some Dumb Small Dick Space Dog

Fucking savage. Laika BTFO.

sketismusic.bandcamp.com/album/hartyga-project-feat-andrey-bardin-fugue-for-steppe-and-organ-skmr-133

Konguray

Does anyone still doubt her upcoming album is going to be the bees knees? I'm talking about a 10 out of 10 here.

thgumbnail looks like a xavier renegade angel screenshot

I don't know who that is.

But I heard the New Taylor Swift song and it was super bad, like "I have no idea for a song" bad.

FRANKIE KNUCKLES is the fuckin MAN

today i wore a dna shirt and got THREE compliments life as a poseur sure is good boys

what's a listenalong?

been talking with the girl who makes the terrible terrible terrible comics. might have a surprise for you guys in a few weeks.

hey kids here is my current chart of shit I wanna check out, what should i listen to next on here??

Flood

ignore the void on the right side, and if any of my ratings are wrong please tell me why

The Brave Little Abacus - Just Got Back From Discomfort — We’re Alright
>midwest emo, experimental rock

Mixed but generally pretty good feelings on this one. I’ll say right now that I’m not a huge fan of midwest emo’s penchant for strained, wordy vocals and loose DIY instrumentation, but I can at least say that this album puts a considerable amount of effort into having a fair amount of unique features. Chiptune? Sure. Ambient drone? Alright. Ska? Math rock?. Again, I’m not the biggest fan of the genre so maybe these influences are mainstays in midwest emo, but from my perspective they do a good job of breaking away from the “default” arrangement that it spends most of its time working with.

Overall though, this was pretty decent. The production and performances are good, the song structures are interesting (esp the way tracks lead into one another), and it does a fair job incorperating the smorgasbord of influences I mentioned earlier without completely losing track of where the album’s core sound is. The vocals and lyrics can be a bit grating sometimes which is how I feel about a lot of emo, and I didn’t watch much Malcom in the Middle when I was a kid so the dialogue samples didn’t really make me feel much, but I can’t really fault the album for that; they’re a nice touch.

next up is Sinking Of The Titanic

good friend rodriguez:
>Matana Roberts - Pov Piti
"haha she like Meredith Monk- whoa shit"
The initial instrumental is very GY!BE-like before the sax delivers some simple phrases, with a gosepl chorus. I especially love Roberts' spoken delivery, a powerful multi-faced monologue of the struggles of her people, reminded me of Laurie Anderson. After a brief climax, breakdown, and respite, a haunting violin leads the group (just how big is it??) back to reality, where the conditions described by Roberts are clear to see. and that piano at the end really edged me i gotta hear this later

Trip up:
>Keith Jarratt - Part II C (from the Koln concert)
nigga I love me some jazz piano
this is some credits music if I ever heard some
i forgot this was a live album
he is feeding my soul
Why does he include that much fucking applause in the recording.

Letov:
>Mingus - The Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive Ass Slippers
hell what an opener
Mingus' more controlled orchestration, as opposed to focus on improv (see: that guy that whined about Mingus and the counterpoints from s) is my kind of thing. If only I had been able to see his ensemble perform live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
In 4th place:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nyarlathot
>Lee Morgan - A Night in Tunisia
Everytime I see "Tunisia" I imagine one of those animations where it looks like a moving mosaic or wall painting. A little less so here, because I was thinking of Art Blakey's Night In Tunisia when listening to this. All three solos were enjoyable, but this track was the most traditional out of all the others, and lacked the bite the others had.

==============
Restrictions for next round here:

still ain't got a laptop, still ain't got no college friends either. but at least these tunes are bumpin!!
>Frankie Knuckles Presents His Greatest Hits From Trax
While this may not have been the same 'spiritual' experience I had with Live at the Ministry of Sound, this is still a project filled to the brim with the absolute best Frankie Knuckles has to offer. This is a side of house that's just a joy to listen to: lots of soul, cosmic grooves, bouncy beats, and just loads of fun. One day I just wanna have a Frankie Knux dance party with my friends
4.0-

what next boyos

fuck
pop tatari

do expressway yo-yo dieting next

Cool, lots of stuff here I like. Those Boris albums, I like Dungen, Luciano Cilio, Feldman, All Things Must Pass. I want to listen to new Ariel Pink but I don't want to be the only schmuck to review it before it's even released.

hell yea will do
i think i listened to dormant mirrors / drum like three times since i've gotten to school

it's bretty gnarly
UHF is a bit more accessible I think, but it still retains that otherworldly feel that DM/D has. Other people don't seem to like it as much as I do but I'm looking forward to what you think regardless.

I've been putting off listening to it as well man, but I don't know why. What's your favorite album of his?

not going to join some kind of extra-curricular group yet?

What college you at my man

the vocals are very subjective, but i love em. glad you still enjoyed it despite all of that.
DJ Paypal - Flowers

Pom Pom. I like songs here and there too. People like his early original albums, but I haven't heard them yet.

if you like pom pom you probably won't like his early stuff as much as it, but they're definitely still worth a listen. i say this as someone who also likes PP the most as well

syracuse bruv

uh oh nvm i'm infinite distance from u

i moved in boys

computer's all set up and my dorm is comfy

The Snuggalos - Hocus Opus (2015)
>psychedelic pop, lo-fi indie

Triangle, you've got some good releases on your label, damn. This is one of the simplest, most fun releases I've heard in a while, unassuming and cute on the surface but with a huge garagey, noisy element lurking underneath the surface that serves as this album's interesting, gripping core. The production and the occasional soundscaping is great, despite the lo-fi nature of the tape, and the songs are written with finesse and a shocking amount of depth. Cuter, poppier songs make little impression, but the majority of this is damn great.

3.0+

Verse - Aggression (2008)
>hardcore punk

One of the least engaging, most flaccid hardcore punk albums around. It's nice and epic, sure, yet completely hollow underneath the surface, completely unmemorable through and through. Not much else to say about it, really.

Goddamn you are a smart boy thanks for telling me this. What a great time Flood is, a slow start sort of but after Flood I is pretty close to flawless. I'm sad I hadn't listened to this earlier bc its pretty singular. Flood II is beautiful, Flood III is crushingly heavy (which is pretty hard to achieve IMO), and Flood IV is so minimal and relaxing. Overall, its an album i'm sure will climb up my rankings in future times

9/10 babeee

best of luck in maturity hell.
flood I is underrated.

Flood is overrated but I ain't mad

Oh boy

Why the huge void? And have you heard any Boris, specially Feedbacker (which is the superior album)?

Correct onions, hopefully you agree with me too.

about to start my biggest chart ever and never finish it

what should i do first

Drop it.

yoooouuuu'll love aladdin sane

hmm

ok kay

(it's a song lyric tho idk if you'll actually love it)

fug
i loved hunky dory though

then I think you'll find Aladdin Sane to be enjoyable but very flat and underwhelming

somewhereoffjazzstreet.bandcamp.com/

its underrated but like, it s not that special. Yeah cool concept but 14 minutes?
I can see that yeah, some people hold it in a VERY high regard, but i think it is just a really really good album for what it tries to be
I listened to it like 2+ yrs back and loved it but haven't revisited it since, i feel like i'll like it more than flood still. I think im just a boris stan waiting to happen. ALSO the void is because Paint is an asshole and if i try to remove the void it punishes me by taking away my lower rows

PS: if anyone likes that kayo dot album on my chart tell me why, i dont understand the praise it gets

was that cover made in one of those photobucket+wikipedia threads? cause it sure looks like that

pls get rid of GFOTY, its not worth it my man

Nice!

I sorta see Flood I as a way to get yourself in the right chilled out mindset for the rest of the album. Sure it's not super engaging the entire time and it might go on a tiny bit long, but i think it enhances the other tracks in some way or another

no

too many people treat it as it's own thing. if it's the first part of a four part series, it shouldn't be so readily judged on its own without thinking of how it links to the rest of the album.
dont.

Okay i get where youre coming from, you're a good man (except he should really get rid of GFOTY)

new to /daily/ I definitely plan on lurking but I have to ask what is the personal charts for? is it just for a record of what you're listening to and rating it?

maybe! I'll ask them if I ever see them

DONT.

yeah. it helps share thoughts with people.
welcome!

speaking of which, halfway done this one.

Yeah basically. Making a chart lets you organize a backlog and work through a large group of albums, while also letting others know what you thought of the ones you've already heard and suggest what you could listen to next.

Also charts sometimes have themes (droning someone else's taste, exploring music from a certain genre/country, etc)

and welcome!! enjoy yr stay

Thanks.

I'll do listen along for now.

Why the hate on my girl GFOTY?

neat.

I don't hate HER, I hate the RELEASE. I'm the NUMBER 1 PC MUSIC FAN, but that release is DOG POO

>I'm the NUMBER 1 PC MUSIC FAN
sorry but that can't be possible because i am here

sory pal maybe next year :) but for now i am the biggest fan here

user tranch williams is known for his lies and fibs across the land.

gah all these stuped little kids think they know better than me :(, huh? u like Hannah Diamond i guess u like them the most now sry

hannah's decent

better than GFOTY desu

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
nah

Quixotism earns itself a 7 because.....its pretty good
Some good ideas going behind it and I very much love the grooves that Oren cooks up, but when it lags it LAGS. Overall tho a pretty good time with v fun moments

It's been a while so I'm bringing this back. Looks super boring though, so I'm expecting a ton of one sentence "reviews."

WE'RE FINALLY HERE
STARTING THE FIRST STEAMROOM IN A FEW

huh
you're still not done with him? :/\/\/\/

OH SHIT CAN I DO IT WIT U

he has a lot of albums dude. 216 of them counting side projects and some rereleases with bonus tracks.
that's not even counting the stuff he's produced or remastered releases.
SURE
on minute four of the first one right now. can start over if you want to sync up. it's pretty nice so i wouldn't mind.

I kinda meant it in a "how didn't you get tired of it yet" way too :{}
Waiting for simple songs haha

友川かずき - 光るクレヨン (Gleaming Crayon) (2016)
>singer/songwriter, contemporary folk

I get the hype behind the vocals, totally. Tomokawa's control over his voice is incredibly impressive, he's over-the-top without ever becoming cheesy or overbearing. The instrumentals are a lot more low-key, creating much less of a real impression than the vocals. They're still very good, they just leave a bit to be desired since the vocals are so spectacular. Still one of the most forward-thinking singer/songwriter albums in a while, though.

start at xx:06 pls ill guve u a kiss

we're about two years away from simple in o'rourke time™, and the steamroom albums are pretty numerous. will hear it well within the next two charts.
also it's o'rourke. he's good for every mood. he is the ideal male body. no way i can get tired of that.
dramatic while not cheesy vocals are my kink.
will do.

God i love him so much, how can he never do any wrong. I love everything about him

I went to regular Sup Forums for the first time in awhile, and I was reminded why I stopped going there. People on there actually think xxxtentacion's new album is good and not a complete joke.

any remaining interest in Sup Forums I had ended when I saw people unironically praising Lil Peep

mmm this is a very nice drone. i appreciate it dominating my headspace

About 90% of the people in an x thread today were talking about how 17 is at least decent. A lot of people were saying how they hated x before, but his new album changed their minds on him. Somehow his music got even shittier and people are liking him now???

His new album is nothing like his singles
I would say don't even bother with it but it's only 20 minutes long. Knock yourself out.

big warm
at least the 20 minute album is coming back into style.

Good times man, very relaxing listen thanks for sharin the waves with me

did i download the wrong version of this? i'm seeing that the one on rym only has two tracks