What is the point of music critics? Why do their opinions matter so much?

What is the point of music critics? Why do their opinions matter so much?

Fucking delete this

Thanks for your input

i rely on them to get a sense of music that i'm not diehard into, and is out there on the periphery of my tastes. like i don't listen to a ton of grindcore these days, so it's helpful to have critics form some kind of consensus about bands or albums that have done something interesting or impressive.

but while you asked a question about the role of music critics, i get the sense your real question is just "why the fuck is this board obsessed with Melon and a couple other goobers."

because this board is mostly teenage boys highly susceptible to the cult of personality around public figures. ANY public figures. even sentient album-reviewing cantaloupes.

You know what that album is sick fuck

This image was the only thing I had related to critics, I'm not endorsing the album or anything. Nothing wrong with mentioning it

They don't matter more than anyone's, but I enjoy hearing opinion's other than mine especially when that person put more effort into expressing their opinion beyond just saying they liked it or hated it.

It's cool to have a genuine opinion on stuff you've listened to. I'm not hating at all. Fuck y'all if this thread is based on hate. He's making a living doing what he's good at and loves. You'll make it eventually if you keep doing shit you like. No opposition.

He gave it a strong 8.

Back in the day people needed purchasing advice.

Now it's just a relic of a bygone era.

>Nothing wrong with mentioning it
Please tell me you're not this retarded

What's your favorite track off of pseudoscorpion?

they give you unintended recs, thats all i really use melonhead for.

I am though. What's wrong with just mentioning it?

Obviously the closer, so powerful

My favorite track is Beaner Baby Buttfuck Pt.2, but Pammy's Pink Pussy Punch or Gimpy Gail Gets on Her Gate is a close second.

because he is a funny guy and sometimes I want to fuck him

His red flannel really turns me on

oh yeah and his blow job mouth....

My favorite track is the one where we can hear a man in a gruff voice saying, "Im going to make you bleed, little boy" and we hear what sounds like a blender come on as a little boy screams and says in Spanish a prayer to Jesus and also begs for mercy.

This. It's trivially easy to listen to music on your own these days and you can often get through a decent chunk of the album in the time it would have taken to consult reviews, there's no real purpose to music reviewers being a thing other than that it was a thing before and it's hard to unmake things in human society. People just kinda accept it even though it no longer makes sense.

You mention it. You get reported. You get banned. The mods ban anyone who brings this shit up.

I know, but I don't post enough to care. I mean why yell mods and insult posters in the first place

Their opinions should only matter if they're not discussing exclusively emotional descriptors and personal preferences. If you believe Fantano is a noteworthy and knowledgeable music critic, you're perhaps beyond saving.

damn you can bullshit and have opinions about music you dont even listen to.

There is no point. As you have probably found out, the only metric of worth with music is how popular it is.
Sure, the artists might value their own music differently, but sentimental value is worthless.

What about those that actively seek out "obscure" music

>Why do their opinions matter so much?
they don't?

They are the 'venture capitalists' of music. They may waste their time listening to hours of worthless music to come across one or two songs that have potential to be worth something, but were not distributed through the popular channels and was left as an unknown track.
Their gambles rarely pay off.

pretty embarrasing making a living piggy backing off artists work. not a life i'd be proud of on my death bed.

Music critics and any sort of media critics are more like tour guides. There to just tell you about information you didn't know so your own observations are better contextualized.

Critics are supposed to take criteria and use it to analyse things. Famous critics have have had a lot of influence on culture. Fantano isn't a critic, he's a vlogger who talks about whether or not he likes music.