What would happen if a small black hole (the size of a baseball) fly into the earth?

What would happen if a small black hole (the size of a baseball) fly into the earth?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8nHBGFKLHZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9JRLCBb7qK8
npr.org/sections/newsandviews/2008/07/is_black_hole_a_racist_term.html
nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/H-12-182.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

NIggers would call it racist.

/thread

End of the world.

Also. Checked.

lets find out

youtube.com/watch?v=8nHBGFKLHZQ

>What would happen if a small black hole fly into the earth?
We wouldn't have to be subjected to your horrendous grammar.

It would probably destroy Earth soon enough

Well, I'm not an astrophysicist, but the way I understand black holes, they can't really fly into anything. The gravitational force is such that things only fly into it.

Stars would fall or some shit. Maybe somebody would tell me what I'm doing wrong at the gym. Only been asking for four years.

it would become a large black hole

If we were to experience a black hole then the sun would turn black and all across the world would hear Soundgarden.

>We wouldn't have to be
Speaking of horrendous grammar, has anyone warned you against using passive voice? It often results in horrendous grammar.

Something akin to snakes on a plane?

Depending on speed, probably pass through earth, absorbing anything within it's schwarzschild radius.

tl,dr :mother of all earthquakes and radiation

if it collided with earth for some reason, its gravitational force would start sucking in everything it can, expanding its event horizon and eventually annihilating the whole planet

following that, there's a good chance the moon would also get caught in the process

other planets would probably remain fine until the black hole moves close enough to them to catch them

its not fucking possible to be that small

explosion x1000000000 Hiroshima

create a black hole the size of a baseball and swing that mf out of my planet

Something that small would not last long due to Hawking radiation.

There is a theory that the Tunguska Blast was a micro black hole colliding with the Earth.

Black holes have mass, and while that mass is extreme, the gravitational pull is still confined. A pin head sized black hole would be harmless to the Earth

Nothing, it would dissipate before it could do much harm. Although it might cause a huge amount of some kind of radiation that would fuck something up.

it is
anything of any size can become a black hole if it gets massive/dense enough

i'm pretty sure black holes are "objects" with an immense amount of ultra-mass, therefore you could theoretically touch them (it's not just an empty space). so i'd assume if it collided with something it would break the fuck out of it, whatever it is. if it hit the earth it'd probably create a massive fucking crater our just outright break the earth as if it was a ball of glass.

Why can't teh Tunguska Blast just be a semi-normal, otherwise boring space rock or comet?

no

isnt the Hawking radiation a super fucking slow process?
I'm fairly sure a ball-sized black hole colliding with earth would suck in faster than radiating out, thus getting bigger progressively in a chain reaction?

Depends on its mass. Micro black holes are thought to collide with the Earth from time to time, causing seismic events which can be measured with our instruments. Given its small size, it would either shoot through the Earth leaving a baseball-sized void behind (which pressure would fill almost instantly) or it would be drawn to the centre of the Earth and begin devouring matter, eventually consuming the Earth over the next few billion years.

kek, yes, look it up

there's a name for that size/density critical limit, i just can't recall it, anyone can tell?

Nice argument, faggot.

Kurzgesagt has a great video on this

you're dense enough

You mean a sphere of annihilation?

The Chandrasekhar Limit.

yeah its here

you retard theres no need of arguments against santa claus and unicorns

its 2017, you need arguments for even the most retarded obvious things now

Yeah, and the earth is flat amirite?

black holes are a tangible object like a star, just that their gravitation is so high you can't see them due to light being sucked in as well. they leave an astronomical impression on spacetime wherever they exist, but they most certainly do move about. there are dual systems that orbit eachother as well

The black hoe would get fucked if it comes any near me tats sure

kek, sure user, sure
also the government is actively putting chemicals in tap water to turn people gay
youtube.com/watch?v=9JRLCBb7qK8

>that youtube link
Fucking hell, mate. People don't take this seriously, do they?

that is correct
though i would be surprised that any of them has any high velocity trajectory other than following the grand motion of its galaxy

I hope not m8, but I'm sure there's a few....

theyre heavy like fuck so its hard to stop or accelerate them

>(the size of a baseball)
that's a very large black hole though..

it's a theory, but there are more substantial theories which suggest supermassive blackholes are capable of sucking up all matter (including other black holes) and energy in the universe

well it's been proven that water treatment facilities only manage to clear 70% of the pollutants, mostly plastic gets through, when injested by males it generally ends up working the same way as estrogen, feminizing the male population. then there's the fact that all those drugs people are pissing/shitting out end up being recycled by the water systems...
it's bretty bad

npr.org/sections/newsandviews/2008/07/is_black_hole_a_racist_term.html

Spoonman

mfw
fuck people are dumb

You probably mean the schwarzschild radius

Mass of black hole with a schwarzschild radius of a baseball is 1.59X10^26 KG, so only a few orders of magnitude more massive than the earth

We die

if the earth would become a black hole it would be as big as a marble if i remeber correctly
so i think it´s safe to say we would be fucked

black holes' life spans scale with their size

a black hole the size of a baseball would last a few seconds tops

Probably wouldn't be the mass that would kill us tho, since it's a small black hole it's gonna be real fucking hot, like 4.87X10^20 K hot.

but I don't want to be fucking black
I wanna ride this white thing out as long as I can
ya know.. credit scores and privilege and all

the time warp aspect of it would also be interesting to witness

A blackhole with a radius of a basketball is more mass than the earth by a lot, but less than something like Jupiter or Saturn. It'd wreck the shit out of the earth as mass gets converted right to energy as it's falling into the black hole, making big boom.

you have it backwards, retard.

>implying baseball sized black holes are small
they're bigger than the blackholes which are capable of swallowing stars...

Well considering the size of a black hole is hard to get, so let's start with the size of a neutron star just under the Chandrasekhar limit which is roughly the size of a black hole at its smallest size so a baseball sized one of it were created under the universes laws would essentially "evaporate" instantly because it does not contain the mass to sustain its form. I hope this helps you.

Wtf are you on about, the baseball black hole is less massive than Jupiter it ain't eating any stars, it's not even a viable black hole. It's so hot it would evaporate basically instantly xd

bet there would be a lot of rap music too

basketball? He said baseball nitwit.
you got get excited by the black part didn't ya

Actually NASA already shown that they can move extremely fast.
nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/H-12-182.html

>baseball sized black hole
>less mass than jupiter
do people this stupid actually exist?
it'll grow exponentially on its way to earth, and if it starts on earth (impossible to start at that size but ay whatever) it'll quickly devour earth while continuing to devour the rest of the solar system

we don't call them black holes anymore
they're called Low Income Housing now

intradesting

Calling me retarded while not knowing the mass of Jupiter. Mass of Jupiter is 1.898X10^27 kg, our black hole is 1.59X10^26 kg. Besides as I've already stated the black hole would evaporate instantly anyway.

How do you know a black hole the size of a baseball is "small"? Actually, noone knows how big black wholes are, all we know is their masses and Schwarzschild radii.

yeah we don't know for the "hole" itself, its center, where the mass is
but commonly, the black hole's size is determined by its event horizon

Not sucked in. They curve spacetime so the light is still traveling in a straight line on a curve that is infinite. Imagine a trampoline surface. Draw a straight line with an arrow pointing at the centre with a ruler. This is your light. Now put super heavy object on trampoline and this light is never getting to the edge, the event horizon.

>we can quantify the mass of something we can only see and have barely probed, not like the gravitational equations and cause and effect it has can't be caused by some other forces
you realize supermassive blackholes start off as even smaller than that of a baseball... right?

that's exactly what he said you fucking retard

instructions unclear
you do know that mass (the curve) isnt infinite at the event horizon, right? photons and other stuff can go through, it's the point of no return, where theoretically information is stored

they don't tho, they start off as stars many times larger than the sun, small black holes don't work because As a a black hole gets smaller it gets hotter and as it gets hotter it loses more energy into space, effectively losing mass to the space around it.

Sucked is the wrong term bell end. Suction is to do with pressure. Totally different principle. Although I suspect your mum could unify these two principals by simultaneously being fat enough to bend spacetime and suck off all the blacks in her neighbourhood. Shit, you just discovered a thing. I'm calling Nobel now.

A black hole large enough to sustain itself for any meaningful amount of time is still REALLY small. A baseball sized object (which creates the black hole.. I assume that's what Op meant) would be quite a large black hole actually. Orders of magnitude more massive than the sun. So it wouldn't collide with us, we would go and hit it.

This

space is in freefall as fast if not faster than light can travel through space.
"sucked" is appropriate, dipshit.

this watch?v=8nHBGFKLHZQ

>they start off as stars many times larger than the sun
indeed, and then they condense whatever part of the super novae material was left over to a point as small as the tip of a cut diamond space can not sustain such mass in such a small point which in turn creates the blackhole, eventually as the blackhole sucks more spacetime, matter and energy, it grows in size.

We would all die

A black hole´s size is defined by it´s Schwarzschild Radius, which in turn is dependent of the mass of the object. The objects size is always zero, regardless of its mass - baseball or sun. The Hawking radiation is also dependent on the mass of the object. The more mass, the more time it takes to evaporate. A baseball massed object would evaporate in a few seconds

>space is in freefall as fast if not faster than light can travel through space
inb4 some rtard will try to refute that

Spacetime is stretched so far that light cannot escape. There is no suction involved. There is no giant vacuum at the bottom of a black hole. It literally is four dimensions stretched to infinity.

Semantics. One you are in you are not coming back out.

smallest current known black whole is 3.8 solar masses, so it has a radius of 11200 m which is a fuck load bigger than a baseball.

I was pretty off. The hole would evaporate almost immediately

you guys are debating "litteral/physical" suction vs "apparence/effect" of suction
for all intents and purposes a black hole is sucking in stuff - even tho, yes, there is no "suction"

>ITT: pretentious faglords with no physics degrees thinking that they understand what black holes are or do.

Even Einstein couldn't figure it all out, i highly doubt the retards on this website can.

I was wrong again!
A baseball sized (5 inches) black hole would need the mass of Uranus or Neptune and that fucker would be very stable...

>blackhole
>fly
>"into" earth

do you even physics?

>implying and projecting

so what would happen if one black hole got sucked into the other black hole, who would win?

Oh, so you've seen a black hole then? You've experimented on one? Which spaceship did you use to fly all the way there? Or do you mean, you saw Interstellar once and now you're a physics expert?

wouldnt they merge?

the form an even larger black hole, this is how our universe dies, an eventually is reborn (white hole aka big bang)