Does algebra make sense to you?

Does algebra make sense to you?

Nope

Yes

kinda

x = no

Tbh you'd have to be retarded for it to not make sense, it's based on very basic shit.

yes. Anyone who wants a decent job has to have at least some basic understanding of algebra. Obviously not EVERY job needs this but anyone who deals with numbers on a daily basis will likely encounter basic algebra. The goal of every company is to minimize costs and maximize profits. If you want to be involved in one of the many aspects of that then you need to understand algebra to properly adjust.

I like proofs and ring theory

Does my penis make sense to you?

ur mom

Was thinking more in terms of further mathematics involving algebra. A few of the major states are even thinking about banning it from their curricula, so there must be a lot of "retarded" people, as you say.

That's terrifying

I heard that they are "banning" it to put in more advance mathematics.

Well it means that ,yes there is a lot of really retarded people in the US

yes

I'm not saying I agree it should be, but I do think there's a lot of obscurity in higher algebra.

You heard wrong. They're claiming it's not relevant to most students and only confusing them.

The rest of the world depends on the US, so I wouldn't knock it too much.

When you say further or advanced mathematics in regards to Algebra are you talking about highschool Algebra? Or college level mathematics?

That's a pretty broad question. I can't say that I fully understand rings and fields and a few other topics from abstract algebra. If you mean high school level algebra though I would say I have a pretty good understanding.

By making algebra optional, they're really hurting the potential of their students' careers. As I said earlier you need to have some basic understanding of it to really get anywhere in life. Not only is it useful in your career, it's useful for budgeting your personal bank account. Someone who can't predict their income and expenditures per month along with the fact that some things aren't monthly is going to be fucked in life. They'll be living paycheck to paycheck with bad credit wondering how they could do it better. I keep a spreadsheet that allocates money and predicts savings. It's not even hard.

The basic people are staying at the same skill level while the higher up people are getting better. Thus you have the widening income gap. If you want a decent life then take life skills and combine them with computer technology

Yes, I'm more concerned about algebra than most people on this board. But I think certain people need to quit being condescending to others over the small understanding they may have with it. Most people (with the exception of the mentally retarded) are smarter at something than most others, so it kind of evens out. And besides that, I think algebra is full of ambiguity.

I'm not OP, but college level isn't necessary for a majority of people. Middle school level is critical for basic life skills. High school is good for more complicated stuff where you're not given all the information and have to make estimates to predict future events.

If there's one thing I've learned regarding school math and real life math, it's that you're not given all the information and what you are given isn't necessarily rock solid. How people gather it is important. Also statistics can be arbitrary with clever wording.

The definite is only as good as its philosophy.

Most things in life are filled with ambiguity and uncertainty. Every week I find myself staring at something with my boss. At the end of it all it's a game of horse shoes and hand grenades. Sadly hand grenades are necessary but you need to know where to throw them and try to be accurate.

What is ambiguous about Algebra?

>Most things in life are filled with ambiguity and uncertainty.
True, and as another user basically said, real life math problems are not organized like they are in a textbook or on a classroom chalkboard. Applying algebra in the real word would be real ambiguous, but I suppose most things in general are.

a^2=b^2+c^2-2bc*cos(A)

X = -b +- root b^2-2ac/2a

Cos(A) = b^2+c^2-a^2/2bc

You gotta know the initial speed and angle of that hand grenade user lol. Don't be the idiot who throws it into nowhere useful. It's a simple but decent analogy I think. then there's sniper fire and trick shots.

Yes. However, the problem with Algebra like most mathematics is that it is far too abstract. There really should be courses taken before a full subject of math such as Algebra or Calculus. The course should teach kids how to use it practically. After we apply methods from the math subject to real life. Then we can move on to the abstract number crunching and number moving aspect of math that everyone hates. But alas, there is no practically courses for high level math. When I was in High School we did have a practical math course but it was not even near pre-Algebra level.

Abstract numbers and shorthand symbols, as an example.

>I think algebra is full of ambiguity
Really it's quite the opposite, it's pure logic

What like pi?

Highschool is not high level math. You can't have a course on how to apply mathematics that you haven't learned yet. You can however have real world examples while you are learning the math (the dreaded word problem)

Sure
2x + 3x= 5x
But what is X?
X is insert number here
In this case it's one. But that's seems too complicated for something so easy.

Maybe he means complex numbers?

One would have to first become extremely experienced. Constant exposure to mathematics is probably the secret, but even then, it's a field that's constantly expanding.

Why the sarcasm, user? Perhaps you've never looked into physics.

probably going to sound nerd, but once you get the gist of it, its fun and rewarding to solve some problems. i try to think of it as an alternative to crosswords

X can be literally any number in your example.

Not really, but accounting does make cents to me.

Not world problems. I've used math multiple times in real life. And I've never needed a paper or even a pencil. Once my old Algebra 2 teacher taught us the practicality of one equation for bridges and architecture. I forgot the equation (funny lol) but I remember how useful something so abstract was.

Say you sell toys for $10 but cost you $3 to make, how long until your business clears $100.? That's why algebra is helpful

Your right.
I meant = 5
not 5x

Where do you learn besides a classroom? It seems to me that the only video tutorials on it concern only the basics.

>Why the sarcasm, user? Perhaps you've never looked into physics
Nah only what I had to plus quantum mechanics but mainly just chemistry specifically biochemistry

Yes. The secret of algebra is "do things consistently to both sides".

You're confusing Algebra with Engineering/physics/science equations.

Yeah but I don't see those words.
I see $10 cost ( Visual)
My $3 (Visual)
and the end result. $100.
I then solve it as a problem.
I just tune out the word problem. Because it doesn't help at all, for me at least.

Sarcasm again. And so in those studies, I take it you've never encountered ambiguities in the math involved, correct?

But I'm pretty sure it was an Algebra equation. I'm not sure if Quadratics or Polynomials.
> Damn, it's been too long.

it is pure logic but when you throw real life and uncertainty into the mix, your equations are only as good as the data and models you make. Not every variable can be accounted for and not every relationship is adequately expressed. Y=48 as a starting variable is somewhat ambiguous. What methods did we use to get that number? At what time did we measure and did it change from that time? Will the rate of change be different from last time?

i would recommend you to use "baldor" but its in spanish. If i were you, i would go to a book store and ask for recommendations. you could also ask on /math/ for some recommendations for how to learn by yourself

What are you getting at?

That's what's great about real life application. In my old Physics class I remember we used to get "approximate" answers all the time. And I loved that it wasn't bold, like 5 or 10. But 5.21313 or 5.2

He's saying algebra is ambiguous in the real world.

Thanks

bump

What are you stuck on? I need to know what you mean by algebra.

mx=b. B= our current inventory, 71. M= we use 13 of these per unit. How many units (x) can we produce this month?

B was measured 3 days ago so it's likely lower than we'd like. Also consider 2% are likely to have a defect. We contacted our supplier and they said they'd do better next shipment with a superior design. We have quarantined that inventory to make it run dry while slowly ramping up orders for the new design. 2 inventories at varying rates. The new cycle counter sucks at her job and forgets a box. Etc.

(M) is 13 theoretically. In reality it's 13.72 because we lose some and others get broken. This is a rough average we've calculated over the past 5 years. However due to new practices we think it should improve but we haven't had enough data to estimate the efficiency gains. Bob the new guy breaks a lot of these items so it counteracts our new practices some.

The simplest algebra equation just became a lot more complicated. The hard logic became speculation with supply chain and material usage.

Don't even get me started on calculating dimensions and tolerances for stuff. +/- 0.1 inches but it tends to skew towards one end over the other. How did we decide on 0.1 inches?

Of course. It’s not calculus, it’s pretty easy to understand.

I have a feeling you've lost Mr "pure logic" with this.

Paul's online math notes and Khan academy are pretty good. Also use 3blue1brown as a supplement when you.get to linear algebra

Yes. I'm a mathematician and I study geometric group theory.

Algebra is used in calculus, so I don't see much of a difference.

I'll take regression analysis for $100, Alex

Nope never even learned how to multiply because i was in a shit private 'christian' school that just wanted money. i didn't catch on to math so they just moved on. god forbid algebra. my nephew is 8 and knows his multiplication tables.

May I ask a linear algebra question?

Khan academy is good. I'll look into the others. Thanks.

so you just never learned? The fuck

Sure. But it make it quick. I'm getting into bed.

algebra is learned in 8th grade or freshman year...
underage b&

What's stopping you from learning now? No longer useful to you?

He's talking about all algebra, from sixth grade to quantum mechanics. You sound a bit underage.

The sign in a-b is wrong.

Oh nevermind then, it's a pretty long winded question. Thanks though.

Why? Provide a proof.

Just expand the right hand side. Or set a=b. Left hand side is non-zero, right hand side is zero. Bitch.

most Americans take algebra 1 in 8th grade or freshman year. thats what i was talking about. quantum mechanics and pre algebra are on completely different levels, if you don’t understand quantum mechanics, you can still understand lower level algebra

That user probably wasn't a mathematician.

So...no proof.

honestly, i did a lot of duster and drinking as a teen, it's kinda hard to focus enough to learn. maybe i could if i tried hard but with calculators on every phone i don't see the point in trying. i've made it this far in life without it. i had A's (or 100's) on all my english papers so i seem smart, as long as i don't tell people, they wouldn't know my IQ is shit.

Just one you lack the intelligence to understand.

The point is algebra encompasses a wide range of complexity, so 8th grade algebra isn't the first part that comes to my mind.

well its when you take a class literally called “Algebra I”, so thats what comes to my mind.

Try Desmos and fiddle around with some of the functions in your free. Also learn the basics of propositional logic.

I'm pretty sure your "proof" wouldn't pass in the classroom, regardless of what your faggot cheerleader right here thinks.

if you can write english papers you can learn basic math

Lmao that's harsh man

What about advanced algebra? Why do you only think of the basics?

does this make sense or what

Math ivy league Ph.D. here, don't give a shit what you're "pretty sure" of.

because the basics are the foundation. without the basics, how could someone learn the advanced shit?
and the most people have taken it. who’s taken an advanced algebra class without taking algebra I? no one. who’s taken algebra I but not an advanced algebra class? many people.

Yes, but I suppose you've never moved past this part.

Literally the easiest math. The fact that it's hard for a majority of people is proof people dont know shit about economics. Hell even economic majors only use basic algebra at best. Calc taken to its limits is really just algebra.

>because the basics are the foundation. without the basics, how could someone learn the advanced shit?
You're a deep thinker.

Not true. Most people can only add, subtract, multiply, and divide at best. It's pathetic.

im not wrong though

Actually in the 60s they started trying to teach set theory and basic algebraic structures to children before /concurrently with basic arithmetic. They dubbed it "new math."

A majority of people are retarded obviously. Just go on any science post on facebook or youtube.

ok, tell me, is it the 1960s right now or is it 2017?

You need limits for calc, as well as analytic geometry.