If I can't roll my r's am I fucked in speaking Spanish or will people just assume I'm a fucking gringo and go easy on...

If I can't roll my r's am I fucked in speaking Spanish or will people just assume I'm a fucking gringo and go easy on me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_H11F7WDI
youtube.com/watch?v=Qdqjid0NxhE
youtube.com/watch?v=K-7G4g6OSrU
youtube.com/watch?v=oZ3jeAU3VDk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they're different sounds, you're not speaking the language if you don't do the correct sounds

Nah son, speak the language the best you can and those beaners will appreciate the effort.

but you can roll your r's

When you say butter, take the sound you make when you use the double T's and carry that into the R sound at the end of the word, like buTTeRrrrrrr.

Costa Ricans don't roll their R's in some instances. Tell them one of your parents is Costa Rican.

Curve your tongue to the roof of your mouth, right before or directly on the edge of the shelf behind your teeth, and exhale. Do it without voice first, once you got it sounding like a machine gun, try words with 'rr'. Once you got the hang of that, the 'r' is literally just a tap, so it sounds like a soft 'd'.

>I can't roll my r's
kys yourself, Ching Chong Chang.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

how the fuck are you saying butter? Must be a different accent because we don't say it like that

I don't think I can. I had problems with l's as well when I was younger so I was basically shit to begin with

I know, it's terrible

try saying "Throw" many times quickly
you will probably roll your R by mistake eventually and realize how its done

look at this American hit single from the 90s

the singer (without realizing it) rolls her Rs when singing the lyric "i think that i'm throwing, but i'm thrown" at 1:39

I have no problems at all pronouncing the English R (it is a very easy sound to make), but have to make an effort to avoid rolling it in the few words that have TH R like Through or Throw.

please make a vocaroo saying:

"El perro de San Roque no tiene rabo, porque Ramón Ramírez se lo ha cortado"

Dunno.

But you'll give yourself away immediately because the way Americans sound when they speak Spanish is very distinctive. Particularly, when it comes to the way you pronounce vowels and 'r' letter.

the throw thing isn't really work and ends up with me just making a lot of hard t's in order to get the word out.

I feel like I'm pretty good when it comes to most pronunciation but it's just the dumb "rr". I've had moments where people thought I grew up in a spanish speaking household but it's hard to keep up the pronunciation for a long period and I get kind of tongue tied at times.

But this CHI is right I saw a video of some centroamericans (honduras, guatemala or something like that) and they pronounced their R like the average burger. The same goes for some Paraguayos (or they all have the tendency idk). And let's not go to the whole puelto jhico, dominican republic, cuba thing because they just took the R out of the equation.

The argie is right tho. If you can say throw you got it. You just need to practice it.

All I getting out is a "thurr" sound? Not sure how this is going to work? Does an authentic rolled r sound like a "th"?

Not the "th", the R when you say "thRow" is the pronunciation you say you can't achieve.

no
the spanish Z sounds like TH

what the TH does is put your tongue in the right position for pronouncing the Spanish R. It has to be close to the front teeth.
The English R is pronounced much further back in the mouth, having to go from the front teeth "TH" to the back of the mouth "English R" quickly in words like Throw or Through makes English speakers accidently roll their Rs sometimes.

Wait, I pronounce throw as basically "thurr-oh". Maybe if I was southern it might of helped?

I touch the bottom of my front teeth when I make the "th" sound in order to get the sound right. You place it behind your front teeth? How do get the air out?
I'm so sorry, I'm so bad at this and confused.

you will develop the ability over time with practice. it's not genetic or anything. there are some gringos that can roll their r's really well

I don't really think I can without some kind of speech therapy. I had some problems with a lisp growing up and the rest of my family didn't have that. Most of family can roll their tongues as well so I think it may be a bit of nature over nurture in this occasion.

Don't worry about sounding like a native, you'll always have a burger accent, as long as people understand you you're golden
Here we love it when foreigners learn the language, the only thing is that you'll be bantered once you're fluent by friends
Also:
>erre con erre cigarro, erre con erre barril, rápido corren los carros cargados de azúcar del ferrocarril
It's important

so you put a small vowel between the TH and the R? try going straight from TH to R.

-this is the standard English pronounciation of Throw

youtube.com/watch?v=Qdqjid0NxhE

-This is the music video I posted earlier, the American singer unintentionally/unconsciously rolls her Rs twice in the words Throwing and Thrown at 1:39

and this is an English teacher teaching the correct pronounciation of Thr to Koreans, he also unintentionally rolls his Rs a few times

at 5:35 he says "he threw the baseball, through the window, at thRee (he rolled it there unintentionally) thirty

youtube.com/watch?v=K-7G4g6OSrU

from some website I just found

The “throw” technique: When you say the beginning of the word “throw”, your tongue is in the right position to roll your R. Stop yourself after you make the “th” sound and just after you bring your tongue back to form the “r” sound. Relax your tongue and then blow really hard so air passes between your tongue and teeth. Don’t let the air go to your cheeks and puff them up. Keep the air going over your tongue. Make sure you go through these steps quickly! You create a trill by passing air between your teeth and tongue.

The “Dracula” technique: Try saying Dracula…in the classic Dracula accent. You know, like “I am Dracula! I vant to drink your blood!” The d and r pronounced in this accent are close to trilling motions. If you keep your teeth together while pronouncing the “dr” in Dracula, you’re one step closer to rolling your r’s. Next, relax your teeth so they aren’t clenched together, and try blowing air as you make the “dr” sound. There should be a rudimentary trill sound. If not, relax your tongue and try again.

>be me
>learning spanish
>sound like a total retard
>sound like a total retard when i speak english too tho
what did i mean by this?

wait, am I supposed to be gargling because I all got was a kind of vibrating gargle at the back of my throat.
Is the back of the tongue supposed to vibrate or the front part?

the front, but if you got an uvular thrill (like the r of German and French which is on the back of the throat) that is an improvement in comparison to the English R.

I don't think I'll be able to do a front part trill. I try transitioning and ends up with me almost choking because of blocked air.

Would native speakers still shit on me for doing a uvular trill than an authentic trill?

mate you are literally never going to sound unamerican to spanish speakers. literally just learn the language and try as best you can to mimic the accent, but know that almost everyone will appreciate the effort. memeing on Sup Forums is not representative of the world.

lastly, if someone is an asshole to you because of your accent, realize they'd be an asshole even if you did not have an accent.

nah, they would just shit on me for hopefully something I could control which is better.

no, youre retarded.

i just decided to learn french instead since most florida highschools require graduates to speak a foreign language

Why not German? Easy language.

I'm asking Sup Forums for advice. You think I don't realize that?

this video is great for the french R. IMO it is much easier than the Spanish/Italian/Russian one

youtube.com/watch?v=oZ3jeAU3VDk

nigga when you say "budder" you're doing a flap, just do the flap in a repeating fashion and you have a trill (rolled),

you will be understood but people will always know you are not a native
we will be glad, we are not used to people actually putting an effort in the language anyway