Major in History

>major in History
>get told since the beginning that History majors get a broad skill set and can get many jobs
>Graduate with a 3.3 GPA
>Apply for a lot of jobs
>Only Best Buy calls me back
>Every Best Buy near my house rejected me after the interview
>Apply for even more jobs
>No callbacks

Is my entire life fucking ruined? Just tell me.

yea

>get told since the beginning that History majors get a broad skill set and can get many jobs

bwahahahahhaha who told you that?

Well now that I think about it you could get many jobs like the ones that don't require any education at all.

Hope that helps.

You're probably going to have to teach english over seas for a few years, learn a foreign language, save up some money, and apply to a grad program for some kind of professional degree.

>bwahahahahhaha who told you that?

Someone who thought it was still the early 2000's

I have a history degree. Im currently in Law School though since I knew history wouldn't give me shit.

The only thing a history degree will get you is a job teaching history, and if you want to get a good teaching job you need a Ph.D

I'm in the same boat, useless degree, white man so no one gets points for hiring me

I've relegated myself to permanent NEET status and will sponge off my one remaining parent until he goes to the great beyond at which time I'll probably an hero myself.

Sorry to be a downer.

And thats why not even Best Buy will hire you.
You majored, so wasted 2+ years..on history...good fucking job, now youre gonna be an old boring book keeper for the rest of your life lmao but hey, at least you threw a bunch of money at people to give you a piece of paper that says HURR LOOK AT PAPER, SAYS SMART, GIVE JOB
FUCKING DUMBASS
I never went to college and make 80-90k+ residuals selling commercial insurance
I worked my way up the sales latter and Besy Buy won't hire a collegiate historian, wewdydooooo

You fucked up m8.
I was a history major until the military meme became manifest to me, left ROTC and switched to business.
How could you not see that history would only be good for the military, museums, education or prelaw?

More like early 1800s, fucking hell

You should find a similar avenue to use your history degree.

Become a sommelier and educate people on the history of wine. Cheese mongers, etc...

Sorry about your lisp, but it's called STEM, not STHEM.

You really should have majored in STEM, senpai.

I've applied for teaching jobs. None called me back.

That's what is fucking with me. Nobody but BEST BUY ever called back.

>history major
You have fucked up bad, my friend

Why are you such an entitled little fuck?
Whats your work experience?

oh my god

Teach. English. Overseas.

A CELTA or Trinity cert will only cost you $2500. Do it. Go have some fun, make a little money, chase some strange women.

You don't understand. HUNDREDS of employers ignored me. I have 3years of internships as student teachers and museum assistants.

When my great grand pappy came to this country with a few dimes in his pockets, he didn't give up so easy like you, pussy.
When Trump is president, you might get rolled up with the other riff raff.

I'm guessing you're a male?

>3years of internships as student teachers
Subbing for a days does equate to shit
>museum assistants
you took cash and cards from folks coming in
great

Thats a shit resume
No wonder

Change your major

Just get into politics.

You were lied to.

Everybody's got a fucking degree now. Big fucking deal.

What matters in real life is connections. Even for history. You ever get to know your profs? Anyone got anything going that they need someone to do some work on? A grant or something?

Connections with people is everything man, everything.

It's been half a year, I have no money, I have no friends, and (thanks to this thread) I know I have no future.

>museum assistants

I majored in history and I am literally working at my dream job.

Go work in a bank

Hopefully you aren't in debt OP. If you took out loans to get a history degree I feel sorry for you. You would've been better off not going to college at all. And seriously, who told you that a history degree is a good degree to get? Your history professor?

I never got a degree and I work for a small company, I can tell you that we don't even give a shit about degrees, reality is that we hire based on how you interview and present yourself, if you go to college you need to study something that's highly specialized so that the degree actually fucking means something.

>3.3 GPA
don't tell me that you're proud of this

AHAHAHA HOLY SHIT! It should literally be illegal to offer humanities degrees.

>tfw history major
>tfw security guard

I'd actually love to work in a museum. Too bad the pay is probably shit though.

Hey, I told you what to do I'm a stemfag and didn't get a job for almost a year in my field though. I didn't even apply to this job because it found me (so be surprised).

For real, do stuff for free. Can you sponge off the parents for a while? Do unpaid internships and get a good reputation etc. People always hand out the good placements to people they know and trust by preference, or they can point you to people they know. Linkedin too - connect with everyone you ever knew or met or worked with who has a profile on there. Work those personal links.

Op go be a teacher

I'll bite, What's your job?

99 problems and history major aint one hit me

Meanwhile engineers with a 2.7 get into Boeing and weapons designs

They sent me so many emails telling me to not listen to anyone saying it would not lead to a job. I wanted to switch majors to STEM on my first year but I had so many people tell me about the opportunities I'd miss out on. Now my life is fucking ruined.

>>major in History

yes, your life is ruined. bad choices.

If you're really serious about history, move abroad someplace nice and learn a foreign language while teaching English, then go to a cheap foreign grad school.

Didn't you do anything else while you were studying history that would set you up for a career? How long was your BA thesis? History isn't that time-consuming tbqh senpai

Well duh. In this job market you can't just send out resumes and expect results. Who taught you that shit?

Networking dude.

>Graduate with a 3.3 GPA
That's your problem. No respectable White man graduates with less than a 3.7 GPA.

Do you have any real skills? You know like making pivot tables in Excel or phone etiquette?

You can still be a hippy teacher at Hollywood Arts School, Sikowitz.

Go back to school for another degree. Teach history at high school level. Or apply to law school.

Bachelor in History MIGHT be able to be an FBI Agent. Check that out, if you are willing to train like an Ironman so you can kill it on physical they'd probably appreciate your skills. CIA Agent = same thing.

History can be, Archivist, Librarian, with added degree. History can do Education added degree. Law added degree. Grad school might be your future. Maybe an art museum would take you now.

I could teach someone enough programming to go from 0 knowledge to code monkey. Email CV to [email protected]

You need to set up informational interviews to get jobs that give you more than 10k a year these days nobody advertises those jobs ever anymore. After you do the informational interview they'll either hire you eventually or not.

What programing languages would you teach?

How do you charge for your services?

Would you consider teaching a no college NEET?

>Email CV to [email protected]
totally legit

user, this is what you do.

you take out the biggest loan the bank will let you, and create your own school.

simple really

If you were serious, thanks but no thanks. I'm skilled in C/C++/Java/Python and yes that's on my resume and yes I've applied for some programming jobs.

Have you tried working class jobs such as factory lines? You don't want to leave too large a gap of unemployment in your resume.

Yep, never called me back.

Nobody needs to send out emails like that in high demand areas.

You're still young, relax. This is a lesson. Learning is fun.

I like /pol and I'd like to do my part for y'all... I would consider anyone ITT...

Theoretically I could teach the basics of PHP, Node, or Rails.

I'm not a genius programmer by any means but I recently graduated from a coding bootcamp and I'm very satisfied with my junior dev job right now, been there for three months now and honestly my career can only go up from here.

Seriously just email that address I made and we can talk about whether we could work something out.

Have you tried out of town?

Does your state/city have an employment services for you to send your resume to the state/city and find you a job?

Nigga you got a degree in google search. Everything your ass paid for I and everyone else in the world can find on a search engine in seconds. You're more fucked than an underage whore at a Hollywood party son.

Get experience via internship (paid or not, you don't have the leisure to care). It's really the best way to kickstart almost any career.

Why did you major in history and not say archeology or anthropology, which are both sciences. As far as I know a degree in strictly history is a teaching degree? You could consider getting a grad degree and teaching at the college level, even community colleges usually require a doctorate, so you should be in demand if you choose to do so, although it will still be teaching. Best of luck.

have patience, kouhai. A job will come when you least expect it.

If you can do some other shit to help connect. There was a guy in TrumpGen who volunteered for the campaign. He got job offers out of that.

also
>mfw History major

my cousins best friend just killed himself after getting his masters, no job to be found.
sorry, the job market is flooded with graduates.
you are a dime a dozen.
(oh, hung himself on his 5 year old daughter's swing btw, awesome right?)

there's a lot of shit groups inside of boeing. dumb managers hiring dumb college grads = whole department get shut down soon. i've seen it happen.

t. former boeing engineer

>archiving
>teaching
>librarian
You're not applying for jobs that pander to your skillset, you idiot.

t. History Major who is now an archivist

Become a History teacher or get Master's in something more employable. Either way you're going to have to do some more school dude.

>not going to school for medicine or law

the only two degrees you should spend money for. everything is is literally a meme, even the tech industry.

>go to tech school
>end up working for geek squad

Its one big meme

Good. He's scared to get his hands dirty and find a job. Fuck that faggot

My uni tried to advertise getting a history degree on campus in the form of small standees with photos of successful history majors, none of which were successful due to being history majors.

Fucking pussy could have got a job at mcdonalds.

Head to factory. Earn enough to return for grad program or learn trade skill. You wasted your time unless you do some sort of advanced program that preferably is not history.

Just learn how to invest. It's going to be a grind, but the corporate slave life isn't for you. Don't despair, there's a million ways to make a million dollars. You just need absolute discipline, and to learn finance, accounting, and economics.

my thoughts exactly

this is the most appropriate image relating to the ops post

I laughed way too fucking hard

Get your parents to subsidize your ass and do nothing but code websites and shit, that is actually a legit use of your time, make a portfolio, some GoDaddy site, make some Java app inside of it.

But then again if you spent 4 hours in a social science degree and left it an insufferable cunt, I cannot help you. Just join the armed forces and you can get military veteran sympathy and get Masters paid off by GI Bill. Or you die.

You sound kind of hard to get along with and would bomb any interview.

This thread is scaring me. I was thinking about going to technical college for an associate's degree in networking. But it seems no matter what kind of degree one get it's not a guarantee to get a job.

I did a combined history and classical studies. Am I double fucked?

No shit nigger, it's all about how good you are at what you do.

You have a far higher chance of getting a job with a degree than without. Just don't expect to only find a job in your field.

Nah. See

Are you fucking high? As a history buff meself, even I know getting a history degree is essentially about as useful as getting a charicature done at the pier

My nigga! Librarian at my college here.

If your career could potentially be somebody else's hobby, rethink your decision.

>Major in biochemistry because everyone told me biology is important and hard science/STEM means a good job.
>Study ass off
>Graduate with a 3.9< and lots of research experience and hospital volunteering
>Look at options
>Doctor route means like another decade of absolute Hell for a field that is constantly paying less and less, and everyone wants defunded.
>Pharmacy route is completely and utterly saturated unless I want to live in West Virginia
>Research route means a decade of tedium in a lab for a chance at a good job
>Any way you slice it, my bachelor's is completely useless except as a stepping stone to more school

Can I just redo my entire life.

Nonsense. A caricature at the pier shows that you have some decent qualities. Humor, spontaneity.

A history degree is worthless.

well fuck, guess i'm not going to be a chemical engineer.

thanks for the advice

I know that classical studies are an almost guarenteed job in Holland, because of the demand of teachers in those subjects and the lack of people studying it. If that's the same in Canada, you should be alright.

Take the job in West Virginia fool. Anywhere you can earn a living wage.

Wherever you can get a start. Kids these days won't settle for real life.

I always cringe a little bit when people say a history degree is worthless. It's pretty easy to get a job if you're smart about it since there's so few of us. My graduating class for my major this last semester was 4. 4 whole people got history degrees this semester. Meanwhile, archivists and librarians are retiring in the hundreds every year because they're so old. It's a niche job for sure, but it's in reasonably high demand.

>t. Stemfags who can't find jobs in their field and thus need to make others feel worthless to give themselves a sense of worth
Wew lad

History major is useless and companies aren't really interested in you unless you have 3.7+ GPA. 3.3 is resume-throwaway tier.

OP, I'm confused, do you have your teaching cert? The best money I ever made was as a long term sub; most states require an actual license to be able to sub in a long term (1+ week) role.

If you do, find a desperate school in a moderately large city. Too small and they won't pay worth shit, too large and they use a temp service. Find a private school if you can. I made $250-275/day teaching in suburbs in fucking Iowa which is damn close to 50,000, though to be honest I enjoy my time and my summers off so I don't make nearly as much.

You need to be creative. You need to look for options that are not conventional. Why you are wasting your time applying to Best Buy if you have any kind of educational cert is beyond me.

>I'm greentexting this because its important for everyone else to understand: BestBuy, any corporation job, will not hire someone who may leave at the end of the year for a teaching career. They want a long-term wage slave. You are a risk.

3.3 GPA is shit, you were fucked from the start

All of you whining nerd faggots need to learn finance, accounting and economics. It's all online for free, outlets like mit open course ware and a few ivy league school websites offer free full courses and testing material.

Learn how to invest, how to start a business, how to crush the old fucks. We are NEVER going to achieve anything as a generation unless we cut the throats of the old fucks hoarding all the money. I don't care what field you're in, we're all getting fucked by these parasites.

why not got to WV. not much to do but atleast youd live like a goddamn billionaire with that cheap cost of living

Haha jokes on you.

I went Social Work. I have a career all lined up, even a city or county job soon. All in the bag.

And I'm absolutely redpilled.

I got a history degree and make 6 figures. Get more diverse skills your degree shouldn't define you.

i want to know why you applied to fucking best buy lmao

i dont think its the degree that's at fault here. lol

>I have a career all lined up, even a city or county job soon
So you're actually unemployed and trying to ply us with hopes and dreams? Bravo.

research