what is the meaning of
"new england is mine, and
it owes me a living"

youtube.com/watch?v=eO-eAldJmA8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h9aydqNXtOw
youtube.com/watch?v=8BJvVV-fnls
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Never understood this line either, it's weird since he kind of trails off halfway through it

That's a Smiths reference

elaborate please

muh white privilege

"England is mine, it owes me a living" is a Smiths lyric

dan is a big smiths fan

It a smiths reference
youtube.com/watch?v=h9aydqNXtOw

You can never fully understand anything Dan makes without listening to The Smiths first 2bh.

what is the meaning behind this lyric?

ask me why and i'll spit in ur eye

lmao
i forgot to write
inb4 ask me why and i'll spit in ur eye

i always interpreted it as a shot at the middle/upper classes of england who felt a sense of entitlement do to the circumstances of their birth. ie england owes them a living because they were born there

It also ties in with the line before about life being about taking and not giving, the upper classes not providing anything to society

Hello commie.

i'm just trying to interpret morrisey's lyrics, who was famously anti-establishment and anti-monarchy, so this interpretation would fit with his character

fuck off nazi

Haha

>implying everyone who hates commies is a nazi

he doesn't understand irony

ENGLAND IS MINE

This guy gets it.

I always suspected it may have something to do with the Myra Hindley quote "society owes me a living," especially as Morrissey covered the Moors Murderers on that album in at least one other song

Just a reference to The Smiths song Still Ill where Morrisey sings (wails) "England is mine, it owes me a living".
Even without that though it makes sense
youtube.com/watch?v=8BJvVV-fnls

to not be at least in favor of a universal free minimum wage in a society that's slowly but surely abolishing labor work is not very smart

working class in 50 years is going to be nonexistent

I always thought it was referring to the real Giles Corey execution

>It is unusual for people to refuse to plead, and extremely rare to find reports of persons who have been able to endure this painful form of death in silence. Since Corey refused to plead, he died in full possession of his estate, which would otherwise have been forfeited to the government.[14] It passed on to his two sons-in-law, in accordance to his will.