Would you say that turn-based RPGs are niche and could never appeal to a large audience?

Would you say that turn-based RPGs are niche and could never appeal to a large audience?

Fallout 1 and 2. /thread

bard's tale IV exceeded its kickstarter goal, so I would say no.

Don't forget Wasteland 2

Good point user. Though I can't call that one a smashing success, it is still a great game.

Wasteland 2 was a fantastic game. would XCOM be in this category?

fuck you faggot

It's just that every time I tell somebody I'm making an isometric turn-based RPG, everybody tells me I'm wasting my time. I believe in my vision, but I'm starting to believe them. Thinking of scrapping my battle system and going for action instead.

Are turn based games ever going to be as popular as real time? No, absolutely not. But it's been proven many times that there is mainstream appeal in the genre.

maybe it is a niche market, and i happen to be in it.

But me personally, I prefer turnbased myself.

i would love a turn based Judge Dredd game.

Funny you say that. It's basically that.

kickstart that shit! i'm in.

Stick of Truth?

This is not a niche market. Turn based RPG's are still going strong.

You could be like me... I'm making a MUD. It's a text based RPG MMO.

I wonder if a hybrid is possible. I've been trying to come up with a way to make it turn-based with some kind of system where you can create combos similar to the way you create combos in Super Smash Bros. Instead of going through a menu and selecting a single choice per turn, you can select your attack type, and the amount of damage you inflict will be based on skill instead of every time being the same. The problem with what I have so far is that it's based on a time limit, which is super lame.

We're going to have to do that within the year to make this game even a remote possibility. Just imagine if Judge Dredd was set in the distant future with heavy emphasis on cyberpunk tech. The game >Observer_ is our muse as far as aesthetics.

sounds very similar to another contender on the market, and that's Shadowrun returns, and the dlcs that follow. Follow through with your kickstarter, there's definitely a market for it. A limited market, so stay within your achievable goals.

The new southpark game is comming out.
Southpark the fractured butthole.
And a lot of people are gonna play this Turn based RPG.

So your wrong.

Yes of course. I feel like that game rides heavily on the fact that it's South Park though. That's why I bought it anyway. Not necessarily for the gameplay.

How could I be wrong if I didn't make a point in the first place? That was an interrogative sentence not a declarative one. Don't be so sensitive. I'm not attacking your precious genre. I'm trying to make one.

I'm basically trying to make Shadowrun. I'm not gonna lie. It's basically what I'm doing. The art style and music are gonna be better though. Same with the battle system. Also less talking. RPGs have too much talking in general. FF8 is probably the most stifled by this shit.

The problem is the phase. Current players need a faster one to be appealed, and turn base, although tactical, it can be too slow. Even myself is a Old School player, some more action oriented, like Xenoblade and Tales of ended being more appealing in the long term. Xenoblade is pretty damn funny, tactical and action oriented, but still have the good old school feeling of JRPGs.

What if you took that model and injected a little Battletoads/Double Dragon into it? I'm trying to make this shit action packed and visually intense, and the turn-based element destroys all of that potential energy in the current demo we have. Frustrating.

You asking a question in a way with the intension to look if people agree with you.

Should all pedo's be castrated?
I'm pretty mutch declaring i hate pedos.
And interro something if anons agree.

But you already new this and can't stand i'm right.
Or your a really autistic faggot.

Btw never thought of you atacking my '' precious gerne'
I don't even game loser.

im down for that. is it pc and mobile friendly?

okay

You can take some old game like Tales of Symphonia or the newest Xillia for references. The problem I see is the imput and overall player control. A heavy faster rumble like Battletoads sounds fun, but you need a solid IA backing your Principal Character to perform strong, chain combos. Some games like Xenoblade resort in a combo gauge for long inputs, but, maybe is to much. A good RPG goes around characters, story and mechanics. Look at FFXIII, they tried a Push a single button esque style and practically nobody likes it. Xenoblade use the same approach, but give a far more tactical twist, where your characters "auto attack" but you freely input a skill (with a cooldown for reuse it) and every skill have some sort of associated effect related to player position to the enemy or input order. Is pretty fast (a boss battle can last mostly for 3-8 minutes) but tactic af

Im pretty sure Pokémon is or at least was a turned based rpg and that was really popular.

turn based and real time should be options in the menu

INTERESTING

Yep!

I'd have to build a web server and port over commands. It's all text and you have to use your brain to fill out the scenes.

It's like WOW minus all the graphics. I'm continually expanding the environment so it will be bigger than WOW one day