Want to take a music appreciation course at uni

>want to take a music appreciation course at uni
>professor says students will be limited to those who send him the proper ranking of the following artists: The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, The Velvet Underground
>mfw been working at this for days and still don't know if I have it right

the course description says this class turns plebs into patricians. I don't want to be a pleb anymore. This course will mean so much to me if I get it but I don't know if I will.

It's a trick question, they're all equally shit

It's a trick question and he just wants you to say that music is subjective

Just put the beach boys and nothing else. If that doesn't get you into the class then the guy doesn't know music.

1. Velvet underground
2. Beach boys
3. The Beatles
4. Bob Dylan
5. The rolling stones

either.... beatles, dylan, rolling stones, velvet underground, beach boys

dylan, beatles, velvet underground, rolling stones, beach boys.

either way the order will be [beatles-dylan] [rolling bones-velvet fags] [beach boys]

depends how conservative you wna be.

Bah, any philistine with an ounce of knowledge on music knows that it's Beatles > Dylan > Beach Boys > Velvets > Stones

your teacher is a pleb
he put velvet underground in there, so he obviously wants that to be no. 1
beatles are obviously last for a contrarian piece of crap like that

trick question motherfucker, you have to put in Captain Beefheart

they're all #1 except the rolling stones are #5

Beatles
Beach Boys
Velvet
Dylan
Rolling Stones

I told him that and he responded in an email:

>user,

>Why should I let you into my class if every assignment I'll get from you will be, "Sorry, but music is subjective. I don't have to critically analyze anything. Thinking is hard" ?

I don't think I'm getting in the class...

Prof is a nut job. avoid the class at all costs.

Subjectivity doesn't negate analysis. If you don't know this then you're right: you're not getting in.

Does he mean how much you personally like them, their music's intricacy, or the influence of the band?

For a serious answer, OP, listen to the albums and come up with your own thoughts.

Most likely the rating doesn't even matter, what matters is that you put thought and effort into analyzing the music. There's probably no "proper ranking", he just wants the students to come up with their own thoughts.

My personal ranking:

1. TVU until John Cale leaves
2. Dylan
3. Beach Boys
4. Rolling Stones
5. TVU post Cale
6. Beatles

this. The way one reacts to music is subjective: the music itself isn't. You can say a song objectively has a certain chord progression, follows certain lyrical themes, is part of a certain scene, etc.

Jake Paul > Those gay fags

beach boys have like 1 good album though. there only other famous stuff is their pop trash before 1965 or 4 or wtever

why is beach boys at 3 though?? they have 1 good album which had limited influence and their other trash was bettered by stones and beatles

Just put the Doors > all of them and if he doesn't let you in then he's the pleb a d your better off not going to the course

Hello John Cale

If I was judging I'd just say as long as you put Rolling Stones in the bottom, you pass. The rest is subjective as fuck, but if you consider Rolling Stones even close to the others, you just deserve to die.

Did someone forget that Surf's Up > Pet Sounds again?

I feel like people order their lists not in terms of whos best but in order of who makes them cringe least.

if you cant think for yourself and need Sup Forums to do it for you then i think this plane was doomed to crash from the start

The collectivism of internet culture broke the opressive notion of the individual's need to only move ahead based on his own knowledge. Our brains are connected so we can imagine and configure the new dimension we'll live in the future.

Bullshit, memes don't work that way

t. nu-male

objectively correct answer

>Beach Boys
>Bob Dylan

that's it. Everything else is just pleb bait

now that is a lainpost

1. Velvets
2. Dylan
3. Stones
4. Beatles
5. Beach Boys

>Beach Boys
>Velvets
>Beatles
>Dylan
>Stones

don't mind me, just the objectively correct ranking coming through

You think you know how memes work, but the memes know how you work, and, how to work on you.

My professor gave as an assignment for making a case to include a specific artist to the listening list.

I did Can, and apparently he went along with it. People don't seem to like them.

lol ur actually coming from trying to argue that stones is manly and edgy? do you beat your mom listening to it's only rock n roll?

Just walk into his office and punch him straight in the dick without saying a word, then leave.

>Taking an arts course of any kind

DONT DO IT

I took this class last year, I got the answer sheet with me rn, here ya go OP:

The Velvet Underground >= The Beach Boys > The Rolling Stones > The Beatles >>>> Bob Dylan

Lmao, VU's best album is the post-Cale self-titled so this is already blatantly wrong

1.Beach Boys
POWER GAP
Everything else on that shit list

>stay uncultured
Yesss