How often are Celtic languages spoken in their cunts? Like are Irish, Scottish, Welsh...

How often are Celtic languages spoken in their cunts? Like are Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish and Breton spoken regularly between some people or are they all just practically dead languages?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Germany
youtube.com/watch?v=ri1Vw3w1_10
ox.ac.uk/news/2015-03-19-who-do-you-think-you-really-are-genetic-map-british-isles
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Welsh still have many speakers. The rest is dead.

Irish scottish and welsh are barely spoken.

Cornish is dead. Nobody gives a shit about it.

Iirc bretom still has speakers

Cornish was so dead they literally had to reanimate the language.

>How often
Extremely rarely, Outside of the gaeltacht only gaelscoileanna really use it.

its kept around due to a sentimental/cultural attachment to the language rather than it being useful.

Some people speak Welsh (mostly in the North if they want to piss you off)
"Scottish" isn't a language
Cornish is dead
Irish I know less about but I believe they're attempting to revive it.

You forgot about Czech.

V české kotlině existuje neobyčejně hluboce zakořeněný mýtus o slovanském původu českého národa. Ve skutečnosti má takový průměrný Čech nejblíže ke Keltům. Pak následuje příměs germánská a slovanská. Z toho vyplývá, že našim bratrským národem jsou spíš Angličané, Skoti, Welšané, Irové či Rakušané než Rusáci. Celá velkolepá teorie Panslavismu je lživá. Slouží jen jako ruská záminka pro ovládání a zotročení "bratrských národů"

welsh speakers only use it when english people are around

this

Nah, actual Breton is completely dead. What passes as Breton now is a fabricated language designed in the early XXth century. It's a sad farce. No better than speaking esperanto or klingon.

>Met a Welshman
>"Alright butt"

Never again

Why do Celtic kids not learn their native languages?

Because not everyone suffers from incurable autism like the Finns.

Celtic is a meme ethnicities.

Literally Anglos that want try to be different from the English.

Kinda like how Macedonians is a meme ethncity. They're just Bulgrians

>wanting to preserve your people's culture and heritage
>autism
jävla sosse

It's the other way around, Anglo is a meme ethnicity. They're mostly genetically Celtic.

Finnar vill inte bevara deras kultur, de vill skriva om 800 år av deras historia. Lite som om Skåningar skulle få för sig att börja snacka Danska för muh historia.

That's now how ethicity works...

With that logic most Arabs are not Arabs. They're Copts, Arameans, and Berbers

No one gives a shit about gene autism outside Sup Forums m8

Exactly. And if they had any sense in them they'd reject the shitty Arabian culture and return to their native ones

wrong

Lol OK I'm wrong. Point out in the real world an example of relevant ppl caring about which haplogroup strain or linguistic group or whatever it is you're sperging about that they belong to

>Point out in the real world an example of relevant ppl caring about which haplogroup strain or linguistic group or whatever it is you're sperging about that they belong to

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Germany

They're mentalists.

>existuje

Don't bother with haplogroup warriors. Just look at the incessant spam of Finnish ethno internet crusaders in any thread mentioning Finland, Sweden or haplogroups. They never ever stop. Not even when proved wrong. Just get the fuck out before it's too late.

We don't live in Nazi Germany m8.

There are a few native Scots-Gaelic speaking communities in the Canadian Maritimes.

BRITONS ARE FUCKING CELTS YOU RETARD AND SHOULD SPEAK CELTIC STOP TRYING TO WIPE OUT CELTIC LANGUAGES YOU GODDAMN LEFTIST KEK

I'm not even qualified to give an opinion on that stuff it's just the height of autistic delusion(or spending too much time on image boards) to think your average man is going to give up his language and his identity and start speaking proto-Brythonic because of a DNA chart.

I speak Welsh with my mum. Occasionally her side of the family when I see them.

That's it.

Why stop at celtic and not just speak fucking PIE? Oh, you don't know? That's because this type of mentality is completely based on emotions and is thus completely arbitrary.

ok imagine this
>Sweden is taken over by muslims
>Arabic becomes the primary language
>my descendants speak Arabic with only a few thousand who still know Swedish
>centuries later Swedes are given the opportunity to learn Swedish again
>"hurr durr no I'd rather speak Arabic cuz it's my language even though it's not"

Genetic testing for origins in the New Worlds is big business, companies like 23&Me or AncestryDNA make millions on people willing to pay hundreds of dollars to learn their genetic origins.

PIE is extinct and cannot be revived, unlike the Celtic languages

Celt languages died out for valid reasons. It's sad in the sense of lost diversity, but it's how things are.
Cornwall has had billions poured into its devolution over the years and it still won't take. Languages just don't work that way. The cost-benefit for people is too high.

ah yes that worked out great didn't it

>valid reasons
What would you consider an invalid reason for a language to die?

Perhaps not perfectly revived, but that didn't stop an entire fucking nation reviving a practically dead desert language (Hebrew).

Again, it's completely arbitrary. Why Celtic and not proto-Celtic? We know roughly what they look like. Why is one type of linguistic evolution deemed natural and worthy of preservation and one isn't? There's no inherent value in languages so the reason can't be anything other than "because I say so". Which isn't an argument.

Perhaps we Swedes should start learning old east Norse? After all, Swedish is full of both and grammar and words that aren't "ours". Not only that, but we do know what old Norse sounds like and how it was written. What's the difference between adapting a new language versus it evolving through external pressures into one that is mutually intelligible with what it started off as?

And as I mentioned earlier: should Scania start speaking Danish? That's what they spoke before Swedish was forced on them. Swedish isn't then, by your logic, "their" language. Same thing with all the other countless languages that Swedes' killed off. Where do you draw the line?

which raises the question I first asked, why do Celtic kids not want to learn their native language? If I were in their position I'd be stoked to learn Cornish/Welsh/Gaelic etc.

Language of your ancestors =/= your native language

Languages are a vital part of people's culture and identity. I suppose a simpleton like you wouldn't understand or appreciate it, but I am a linguist and historian and thus value the preservation of languages

>why do Celtic kids not want to learn their native language?

It's hard to get the majority of children stoked about any kind of learning, let alone learning another language. This is especially hard if your native language is as dominant as English is.

>I suppose a simpleton like you wouldn't understand or appreciate it

Mandatory Paul video about Celtic languages:
youtube.com/watch?v=ri1Vw3w1_10

Irish kids don't want to learn Irish for the most part because they're kids and it's forced on all of us

Secondly it's taught shockingly badly

We know PIE quite well, though. In fact it's one of the most reliably reconstructed languages.

Maybe we should just abandon Swedish too? Remove all Swedish text, replace it all with English. Teach only English to our children.

Might as well give up all Swedish traditions while we're at it. Midsommar? lame. Lucia? Who needs that?

braise gommunism :DDD and globalism :DDDD

>le enlightened redditors are this retarded
sweden was a mistake

Welsh is coming back, it is compulsory learning in Welsh schools now

What does your nationalist parties, movements and organisations think about reviving/using your language?

Then it's up to Irish adults to teach their children. Speak Irish Gaelic at home and they'll have no choice but to pick it up

Well 95% of our political parties are nationalist parties, Sinn Féin is the only party that probably believes it can be revived fully and would attempt any measures as such

welsh is spoken all over every day...
Try going West of Cardiff or Swansea and you can't not hear it.

I don't know if you know this but it's young people who speak Irish if at all. Neither of my parents do but all my siblings and I do

It's like the English speak French or German when there's no Welsh around.

>What would you consider an invalid reason for a language to die?
I guess that's a good question. I don't know if I can give a firm answer to that.
For me, it mostly depends on coercion. If a language were specifically targeted with the intent of wiping it out (as I believe to some extent happened in Ireland) I would see that as invalid.
But I don't see soft coercion as invalid, which is how most of the (insular) Celt languages died out. It's like with the competition in the various dialects and accents of English. Eventually it was just more practical and attractive to speak and write in the prestige dialect because it opened more opportunities, allowed you to communicate with much more people. You could say that's coercion too but in the end it's the choice our ancestors made, if that makes sense.

How is he wrong?

He'll say anything that supports his narrative, don't bother. He can't even answer the simplest of question: why. We should just simply revive dead/dying/minority languages, but mind you only the ones he deem worthy, because reasons.

The fact that you can't tell the difference between reviving dead languages or replacing entire languages with supposed ancestral languages is quite telling.

But here's the thing, you don't get to make any further - and I'll be generous here - arguments until you've answered my previous questions.

Be serious or go home.

It's been compulsory since around 1996

My understanding is:
>Wales
Still spoken, still used on street signs, only a few hill people that still use it as a primary language though
>Scotland
Dead
>Ireland
Taught in schools but dead.
>Cornwall
Lol this isn't a thing.

What part of "culture" and "identity" don't you understand? If everyone had the same language and culture the world would be a boring, souless place. I thought you leftists liked diversity but here I am defending it

Reviving dying languages is MUCH easier said than done. Irish is a very difficult language to learn, for most people the cost of reviving it obscenely exceeds the benefit

The problem is that you're bringing up a hypothetical with a negative (or emotionally negative) connotation. Yes, in that situation, people would probably want to cast off Arabic, but it's a hypothetical that isn't analogous to English history.

Welsh is the only one

I've already made my questions clear. I want to know why and I want to know how any particular ancestral language is picked in way that isn't completely arbitrary. I also want to know why it's only, at seemingly, only applicable to a national level and not a regional one as I outlined in my question regarding Scanians speaking Danish or Gutes (Gotland) speaking Gutnish.

>If everyone had the same language and culture the world would be a boring, souless place.
No one is arguing that.

>I thought you leftists liked diversity but here I am defending it
I'm not a leftist.

>There's no inherent value in languages so the reason can't be anything other than "because I say so". Which isn't an argument.
this part here betrays him as a retard

>Be serious or go home.
your posts don't warrant a serious reply mate
they do warrant mockery which you get

Welsh was not given "soft Coercian" to kill it off....

It was targeted as part of a broader effort by the British government to eradicate national identities, that they considered "non-British"... guess which identity was considered suitably "British"?.....

Thankfully us god tier Roman/Angle/Viking rapebabies on the east coast dominated their shitty low test celtic dna pool with her high test semen and glorious germanic language.

Hail Caesar

Irish isn't really that difficult, people here just get spooked by the horrendous teaching practices.

>but it's a hypothetical that isn't analogous to English history

>be ancient Briton
>be Celtic
>conquered by the Romans, but that's okay because Latin is only a secondary language to our native Celtic ones
>Romans leave
>Anglos, Saxons and other scum invade our island
>conquer us, enslave us and force us to speak Anglo-Saxon
>Celtic languages and culture is dwindling
>fast forward to modern day
>"hurr durr no I'd rather speak English cuz it's my language even though it's not"
>"now excuse me while I go suck English cock"

Then your understanding is wrong....
Welsh edcation can not provide the places to meet demand, English language education has too many places.
It's quicker and easier to order a coffee in Costa in Welsh, than it is in English now. ( I'm in West Wales however )

No one brit has 100% celtic ancestry

Languages don't have an inherent value. That doesn't mean that we can't put a subjective value on it and it doesn't mean that they're not interesting or worthy of existing. But we should recognize that it's on a purely subjective basis that any such work or policies are done.

My understanding of why Celtic dying/died:

>Irish
Famines and Irish not (is it a thing?).
>Scottish Gaelic
Was never the main language in Scotland, early Gael kings speak Scottish Gaelic, but it's a elite thing.
>Welsh
Industrial age and the Welsh not. Still, it's comming back.
>Cornish
Cornwall never has its own country.
>Manx
Too small, too irrelevant.
>Breton
Once vibrant, but now dead because of French policy.

Nazis didn't know about haplogroups

If Scanians want to speak Danish that's fine by me, all power to them. And Gutnish should be preserved, just like the Celtic languages.

Irish language took a massive hit from a mixture of the anti-Irish policy of the occupier and creation of economic incentives to be english speaking

Has yet to recover

It won't thanks to your pro EU policy of the importation of Nigerians

LOL

Yet it's now the English who lack any indentity and struggle with ethnics taking over their cities...

meanwhile, Wales and Scotland ask for migrants, but our identity and culture effectively ensure that they either adapt or fuck off to England.

Identity and Culture act as a buffer and as a means to ensure integration by foreigners...

The English lack this... now they try to reclaim some kind of William Blake version of themselves that never existed... and only have past ideas of superiority left, so they go to far and act like the fucking EDL.

>I'm celtic roleplaying

What did he mean by this?

But that's the thing, you don't understand English history and you have to cast it in this cartoonishly bad light to make your point fit.
The Anglo-Saxons were invited to Britain in the first place as foederati to help protect against the Picts after the Roman withdrawal, and people on the mainland stopped identifying as "Celts" (which is already kind of an anachronistic meme to begin with) before there was even a single undivided English king. The only exceptions are Wales and Cornwall and I've told you how well revival there has turned out.
This then all precedes a thousand unbroken years of English history that you would ask modern English people to throw away. It will never happen, I'm sorry.

it's the focus on "inherent" value and the insistence that it's all "subjective" that shows you he's a redditor retard who thinks because he looked up a few wikipedia articles on logical fallacies and is an atheist that that's how the world actually work

I mean he's just trying to abstract away all identity as "subjective" and thinks that means it's completely arbitrary and holds no value

identity and language are valuable because it matters to those people and that's the only justification it will ever need

>this part here betrays him as a retard
Would you argue that Esperanto has an inherent value?

Welsh people aren't English, wtf are you on about?

Same DNA, you seem to think that celts still exist don't you?

You should read my post again because there is nowhere that I mentioned the Welsh as being English.

Still no where near as bad as the French and their hatred for regional languages. Britain is quite free these days.

There's no Esperanto people. Esperanto hasn't been spoken for thousands of years

This is the thing, besides some similarities between Irish and Scottish oweing themselves in no small part to Irish immigrants. Celtic identity is a meme, everyone is now a national identity after thousands of years

As with celtics.....

This, they even force Polynesians and Caledonians to speak French.

the question misses the point
see here , if Esperanto had a people whose identity and culture included Esperanto it would have much more value

but of course even esperanto has people who really like the language and that it matters to and to those people the language is very valuable although I don't think it matches any natural language

Celts still exist Nigel, no matter how you English opressors try to deny it

We exist but nobody seriously would identify as a "celt"

But reviving dead language is not embracing your identity, is making up an arbitrary and subjective new one by disregarding your own people's history after they stopped using it, and it's no wonder this kind of stunt always came from intellectuals and not from the people

You are Celts wether you identify as it or not

If I stop identifying as Nordic I don't suddenly cease to be Nordic

>The only exceptions are Wales and Cornwall and I've told you how well revival there has turned out.

The Cornish need to stop larping as muh pure celts anyway. We can let the Welsh off, as here...

>There was no single 'Celtic' genetic group. In fact the Celtic parts of the UK (Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and Cornwall) are among the most different from each other genetically. For example, the Cornish are much more similar genetically to other English groups than they are to the Welsh or the Scots.
>The majority of eastern, central and southern England is made up of a single, relatively homogeneous, genetic group with a significant DNA contribution from Anglo-Saxon migrations (10-40% of total ancestry). This settles a historical controversy in showing that the Anglo-Saxons intermarried with, rather than replaced, the existing populations.
>Many of the genetic clusters show similar locations to the tribal groupings and kingdoms around end of the 6th century, after the settlement of the Anglo-Saxons, suggesting these tribes and kingdoms may have maintained a regional identity for many centuries.
>The population in Orkney emerged as the most genetically distinct, with 25% of DNA coming from Norwegian ancestors. This shows clearly that the Norse Viking invasion (9th century) did not simply replace the indigenous Orkney population.
>The Welsh appear more similar to the earliest settlers of Britain after the last ice age than do other people in the UK.
>There are separate genetic groups in Cornwall and Devon, with a division almost exactly along the modern county boundary.

ox.ac.uk/news/2015-03-19-who-do-you-think-you-really-are-genetic-map-british-isles

>dead language
the only dead Celtic language is Cornish m8 and the bigger issue is Irish and Welsh
>arbitrary and subjective
arbitrary is wrong, subjective is irrelevant
>disregarding your own people's history after they stopped using it
this is just nonsense
>it's no wonder this kind of stunt always came from intellectuals and not from the people
language comebacks wouldn't work if it didn't matter to the people

Ironically Welsh is the most spoken language of all of them. The others want or have independence but refuse to speak their own language