So I am no longer a poor fucker after years and want to upgrade my computer that has the current specs:

So I am no longer a poor fucker after years and want to upgrade my computer that has the current specs:

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
RAM - 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 530MHz (7-7-7-20)
Graphics - 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)
motherboard - Dell Studio Xps 8000 Motherboard 0X231R
PSU - AC 230V
HDD - Seagate ST1000DM005 HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA)
SSD - 238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series ATA Device (SSD)
Soundcard - Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
Screen 1 - DELL SP2309W (2048x1152@60Hz)
Screen 2 - SAMSUNG (1360x768@60Hz)
Optical Drives (Disk Drive) - PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AAS ATA Device

Basically updating all of it within reason, budget of £1800. I also am interested in a gaming chair and a new tower w/ water-cooling perhaps.

Anyone got any good deals recently on any parts?

Other urls found in this thread:

scan.co.uk/
ebuyer.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=mSD40aoNRIc
logicalincrements.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get an M.2 SSD and put your OS on it

scan.co.uk/
ebuyer.com/

Used both of these before for parts and all sorts. If deals is your thing im not sure.

I would upgrade to an
AMD 1800x CPU.
1080ti GPU.
Also get a motherboard that works with the CPU plenty to choose from.
An CPU cooler.
If you have money left over get yourself an memory upgrade

Whats the difference between an M.2 SSD and the one that I have?

Better speed than a SATA SDD. About double i guess. But I don't think it is absolutely necessary tho. A "normal" SDD should do just fine for gaming.

I don't have any recommendations for good deals. I usually just shop around newegg but you can probably find a better deal if you are thorough with your searches. I recently built a liquid cooling setup. I would recommend EKWB. I have been very pleased with the water blocks I bought from them and the rest of the loop. Zero problems and they were pretty helpful with the questions I had when I was shopping online. Their online store was well stocked and they had everything I needed other than a drain valve that I ended up buying off newegg.

latest intel i5 6 core and a 10** series card is ideal now, assuming you can find a board worth using for it. alternatively, there is the AMD r5 1600, but that thing is hamstrung by its reliance on fast RAM for its internal bus speed, however if the new intel 6 core isnt a viable purchase for you for whatever reason the 1600 is the next best thing, or even the 1700 if you fancy 8 cores instead of 6.

GPU wise id stay away from AMD, their current best offerings are massively inflated due to cryptofags buying every fucking one they can get hold of, though if you can get hold of them for sane prices the vega 56 sits between the 1070 and the 1080, and the 64 is a touch over the 1080.

Yeah it's not necessary but improved my startup time over normal SSD by a few seconds. If you're not a stickler it doesn't matter. Also m.2 uses much, much less power than traditional SSD

ignore m.2, NVMe is the thing you really want, thats what separates shit SSDs using the m.2 form factor from the good stuff. think 2 GB/s good.

>1800x
>instead of the marginally less well binned and much more affordable 1700 which is essentially the same thing
>or instead of a motherfucking threadripper

Also, any recommendations for monitors?

I'll to look into all this. My SSD has lasted 5 years somehow though

that chip is really fast dude watch this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=mSD40aoNRIc
new cpus are only like 10% faster than your i7

just update your GPU to what you can afford from this website:
logicalincrements.com/
don't fall for the "gaming" branding, a regular i5 on a business mobo will be EXACTLY as fast as a "gaming mobo" plus it'll usually have an easy warranty process since it's off the shelf parts.

Check out logicalincrements.com for various builds at different budget levels. Definitely consider an SSD, they're snappy compared to a hard drive

korean 4k IPS display, or OLED if you can afford them

ryzen and coffee lake made prev gen i series much less valuable tbh

only if you stream while gaming or are doing heavy workloads, then the cores are nice.
most games are happy with 4 fast cores/8gb of ram.

SSD's are more reliable than HDD's especially if you leave a lot of free space for wear leveling.

I'm just trying to get OP to buy something usable for the price. I always bought high end stuff to play games and this time around I got a 4930k hex-core. I really don't feel like i've gotten my money out of it.

user clearly isnt building a rig to be happy though, anons clearly building a rig to last some time. for that, 6 cores is being established as the new norm, that will have an effect on performance. also, games tend to use 4 cores now, so having extra reduces the load on the 4 cores that might introduce stuttering effects, as is clearly shown by the frame latency distribution graphs done comparing low thread count chips to high thread count ones.

this streaming/high workloads are the only use for cores meme needs to die.

yeah, top end stuff is usually bad value, which is why im recommending 6 core i5s and r5s, as the 4 core chips are now becomming recognised as entry level hardware and optimisation will shift towards 6 cores.

holy shit the new i5's are 6 core. lmao. fucking wow.

yep, its about fucking time too. theyre also really good 6 cores, 7700k single threaded performance on 6 cores, which imo makes it a better offering than the 1600 if hyperthreading means nothing to you.

What region are you in? You can find better deals based on locations.

UK

Got a BenQ because it had good reviews, but after a couple of years it developed screenburn despite being LCD.

ask /g

This! Recently upgraded to a M.2 NVMe (Toshiba XG3), easily worth it!

OP here. Been trying with the help of this thread to break it down into stages:

1) Select as good a graphics card as I want to go. Should I run two Graphics cards?
2) Pick a CPU that won't bottle neck my graphics card(s)
3) M.2 SSD
4) MOBO that can accommodate it all
5) See if my PSU can run it all (its 850W, forgot to mention in OP)
6) Case to fit

If I have spare cash:

7) Water Cooling using EKWB after all else is done
8) Get 2 or 3 4k monitors
9) New Chair