Question:

Question:
>You know how we are taught two objects fall at the same speed regardless of mass/weight
>Assuming they are unaffected by air resistance
>So like if you dropped a doughnut and a bowling ball on the moon they would hit at the same time
>The reason for this is inertia or whatever things with more mass are harder to start moving or something
>And you know how we are also taught gravity affects everything
>So like any two objects are attracted to each other and its stronger the more mass you have and the closer you are to something
>And like when you jump up you extremely gently in a (currently) unobservable way push the earth down
>And then when you reach your maximum jump height you start moving back towards the earth because of gravity
>But also earth in a tiny (currently) unobservable way starts moving towards you because all mass attracts each other

>So here is the question

>If you had 2 identical planets both with 0 atmosphere and the size of earth lets say (same mass and size)
>If you then took a moon like ours and suspended it 100,000 miles away from one planet and froze both the planet and the moon still
>And then took the other identical planet and put that somewhere in space and put a sunflower seed 100,000 miles away and froze them both in space

>And at the same time you released both planets the moon and the sunflower seed
>Wouldn't the moon hit it's planet before the sunflower seed hit it's
>Because the planet with the moon would start moving faster towards the moon then the other planet would be moving toward the sunflower seed

>So then doesn't that mean that if we dropped two objects on earth both with a different mass from the same height one after the other and recorded their time to impact with the ground, with incredibly accurate super clocks that we haven't invented yet that can observe even the most tiny difference in time

Wouldn't one hit the ground faster then the other? If so then objects with more mass DO fall faster right?

Can't find any fault in that logic.

Yes; also there is terminal velocity.

>>Wouldn't the moon hit it's planet before the sunflower seed hit it's
No, why would it?

because the mass of the moon would attract its planet much more then the mass of the sunflower seed would attract its respective planet

In other words the moon would start moving toward the planet AND the planet would start moving toward the moon so they would collide in a shorter amount of time because both objects would be moving at a good speed towards each other

This would also happen to the sunflower seed but its mass is so low it's planet would barley start moving toward the seed and the seed would have to make the majority of the journey where the moon would have its journey much shorter because the planet would cover a good amount of distance on it's own

You're probably correct, but the difference would be soooo small.. Like 0.0000000000000000000000000001 of a second maybe

When they dropped a hammer and a feather on the moon during the Apollo missions, the masses of the objects compared with each other is almost equal when compared with the mass of the moon.

Doing the experiment where one has significantly more mass than the other will effect the barycenter of the planet/object which affects the timing.

I like the thinking actually happening on Sup Forums, but no need for the greentext and 'likes'.

Terminal velocity wouldn't happen in a vacuum though, I don't know how well I outlined the no air resistance part of this

>the mass of the moon would attract its planet much more then the mass of the sunflower seed would attract its respective planet
The moon also has greater inertia due to the mass.

>In other words the moon would start moving toward the planet AND the planet would start moving toward the moon
That is always the case anyway, even for the sunflower seed.

Furthermore, the respective weights in the other body's gravitational field is also the same:
The planet's weight in the gravitational field of the sunflower seed is the same as the sunflower seeds weight in the gravitational field of the planet.

You had a lot going on in your post so its easy to miss a few of the important points of the question. If you simplify the way its written there may be less confusion.

You are right, terminal velocity doesn't really matter (though technically they fall through the outer atmosphere of the star hitting stray electrons and other solar wind).

I like how you think. I'm not a theoretical physicist by any means, but it makes sense. Perhaps propose it to Brian Wecht on the European tour.

Are you trying to suggest that the gravity of the moon makes the planet and moon collide faster than the planet and sunflower seed due to the gravity of the moon?

I'm having trouble following your rather lackluster ability to express your thoughts.

Wish i was gonna be there for that sex party

Seattle show was 10/10

Is a sunflower seed capable of pulling a planet?

Of course it does. Just not very much

I got a signed copy of Under the Covers sitting on a Cd shelf somewhere. Not much considering every pre-order was signed but still

I'm sorry for the lackluster expression of thoughts, but you got the question square on the nose their friend

This is assuming there is knowledge of how gravity would function if planetary bodies could be stationary

how about a sunflower seed pulling a grain of salt?

How about a bowling ball pulling a grain of salt?

I ordered a set of 2 of the new (signed) ones, for me and a bud. #worth

You have a great day

The same quantity of force is being applied to both objects, but their mass is different, the more massive an object, the more force is required to accelerate it from a position of rest

So the objects move at the same speed toward the planet

but what about the planet moving toward the object?

Did you even read the fucking thread? Do you physics bro?

tldr but im guessing you ask about the fact everything has its own gravity so for example earth pulls a flying anvil towards it but that anvil also tries to pull earth , stronger than a feather would
ya anvil will hit earth faster than feather but difference is so tiny its skipped in calculations

Do birds pull the earth when they fly?

I don't know if you would really see to much difference between two normal (paperclip to Buick sized) objects dropped. The Earth is the largest part mass of the equation gM1M2/r^2 that interference from normal expected activity would cancel out any movement from the Earth moving toward the object. The additional acceleration would come from the proportional weight of the test object to the system as a whole and be very minimal but would exist. Much like how much do my farts influence the Milky Way's movement toward Andromeda, the answer is not goddam much enough to worry about.

First things first OP things on earth do not fall at the same rate, the accelerate at the same rate. What's different between two objects are their terminal velocity thanks to drag.

Weight and mass are not the same thing by the way, weight is a force.

Finally, assuming you completely silly scenerio filled.with shit that can't ever happen yet you still want the answer to, we don't fucking know. Cause, it's impossible. Its not like having a near unlimited about of electricity or finding a way to travel in space more efficiently, it's straight up impossible cause we don't have two masses in the same universe without having gravity.

You need the mass of both planets, the moon, and the seed. That will give you the force of gravity acting in both systems. With that you can find how quickly the objects in each system are accelerating towards one another, and then find which ones are accelerating towards each other faster (therefore covering the same distance in a faster time)

The higher the mass, the stronger the force, the faster the acceleration. I hope there aren't many spelling mistakes and this answered your question.

Technically yes, the force of gravity is acting on EVERYTHING. But the earth is so fucking massive it isn't noticeable.

what if that was a satanic bird made of black holes

Okay, i didn't really follow all of that. But lemme tell you something about the "feather and the weight" hitting the moon at the same time.

That isn't PRECISELY true.

It's basically true because the mass of the weight and the feather are so close. The way it works, you wouldn't really notice that more massive objects fall faster until you started getting really really big in the difference. A few ounces(in earth gravity) difference, the difference in velocity would be almost immeasurable.

To give you an idea, i just googled the acceleration of gravity on the sun. It's common knowledge that on earth the acceleration is 9.81 meters/sec^2. On the photosphere of the sun, it's 273.7 meters/sec^2.

That's way faster yes, but considering that the sun is millions of times more massive than the earth, an increase by a factor of 25 is really fucking tiny.

So it requires HUGE masses to notice that a difference in mass causes a change in the rate of acceleration. The heavy weight does fall SLIGHTLY faster than the feather on the moon. But it's so slight, i doubt we could measure the difference.

Yes of course they do, the problem you're running into in your question, as has been mentioned several times so far in this thread is that you are neglecting to consider the effects of inertia on two objects of wildly different mass under the same gravitational force (the planet).

>my farts influence the Milky Way's movement toward Andromeda
This may be the best thing I've ever seen posted here.

its easier to say everything is falling with the same speed instead of explaining theres 0.000000000000001% difference between heavy and light shit

The difference in mass between the moon and a sunflower seed is exponential while the mass between a feather and bowling ball is inconsequential. There is actually a video on YouTube showing them dropping a feather and a bowling ball in a room with no atmosphere and they hit the ground at the exact same time. Too lazy to link but you could find it super easy

No, birds flying on the other side of the planet are pulling it and countering the attraction of whatever object you drop.

NOOB!

(lol thanks)

but what about the speed of the planet moving toward the moon vs the speed of the planet moving toward the sunflower

wouldn't Planet A move faster toward the moon then Planet B would move toward the seed because the mass of the moon is greater thus pulling its planet toward it faster

So in the end the moon would hit before the sunflower would?

my dick is so hard right now you guys

The barycenter of the planet/moon system is more to the midpoint between them than the barycenter of the planet/seed system, which is basically just the center of the planet.

moon gonna hit faster but no one throws moons at earth
the difference between a battleship and seed is too small to mention about

So which collision happens first

Planet/moon
or
Planet/seed

There is no speculation about this. Have none of you taken a high school physics class?

The real force of gravity is calculated using the mass of both objects. You guys are talking like gravity is constant, it's not. A bowling ball is attracted to the Earth more than a feather, while they do fall the same speed, it's only because the distances are too short and the masses too small to measure a distance.

See pic related. This equation is how you measure the force of gravity. The moon would hit it's planet much sooner because the force of gravity would be much higher.

btw dont you wonder why gravity force gets weaker to power 2 with distance not 3 while space is 3 dimensional

Short answer: yes, you're correct
Long answer: The equation used to determine the acceleration of an object in a gravitational field assumes that the mass of the object that's dropped is negligible compared to the mass of the thing generating the gravitational field. In your extreme example, the moon's mass is NOT negligible compared to the planet's mass. Thus, you'd have to consider the moon's gravitational force on the planet. This turns a simple algebraic equation into a differential equation (I think, don't remember exactly what the equation is) because of the acceleration of the planet.
However, teaching this in school would be a tangent that's really not necessary for most students, and really doesn't apply to most situations (ex. Other errors in measuring the drop times of a bowling ball and a sunflower seed would far exceed the difference in time they'd take to fall)

Another point: at the distance you're imagining the sunflower seed and the moon being dropped from, gravitational attraction would change noticeably as the objects fell. This would also complicate the equation.

NOW YOURE AWARE OF THE FACT YOUR ANUS IS GRAVITATIONALLY CONNECTED WITH ALL NIGGER DICKS ON THIS PLANET

Kek.

I dunno about you, but my anus is more than just gravitationally connected to nigger dicks ;3

Planet/Moon. The moon pulls the planet far harder than the sunflower seed pulls its respective planet. Relativity is cool, cool, huh?

terminal velocity is the speed of light.

no
you're mixing up speed and time
they both fall with the same speed, and as they are landing on the same earth, they will drop the exact same time (premature contact because of shape left out of the equation).
earth will move to them for an amount that equals both masses added.

in your two planets and two masses example the heavy object will arive at its earth earlier, but not because it is falling faster, but because it attracts its earth more so the way gets shorter.
given the same distance you'll notice no difference.

You...You can't troll people in a thread about physics by pretending to be retarded at physics. Jesus. Put some effort in, will ya?

Learn how to FUCKING GREENTEXT YOU SONOFABITCH GOD DAMMIT