Why do so many of you look down upon popular music...

why do so many of you look down upon popular music? you know it takes a lot of effort to make billions of people listen to your music?

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0027241
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>you know it takes a lot of effort to make billions of people listen to your music?
you say this as if this doesn't make it still shit

brainwashing isn't effort

>why do so many of you look down upon popular music?
Watered down passive sounds taken from the underground and is the equivalent of musical fast food. But there's a distinct difference between music made for money and good music that became popular
>you know it takes a lot of effort to make billions of people listen to your music?
No it doesn't

Giving radiostations and streaming sites payola payments isnt hard work

>fast food
>bad

>No it doesn't
if it's so easy to get a top 10 hit, then why don't you do it? get your money dude

>pay someone to make you the latest kind of fashionable drum beat (e.g. trap) with a vengeance tr808 sample pack
>pay 5 guys to compose synth parts with sylenth1 and omnisphere
>pay 20 guys to write lyrics about shaking asses
>sing that shit through a shitload of autotune
>pay nicki minaj so she sings the part about how she like shaking dat ass for you nigga
>pay 4 guys to mix the song
>send it for mastering
>meanwhile pay a filming crew and models to do a generic clip with load of asses shaking and you holding champagne bottles
>give that shit to the label so they take the distribution (aka payola) in charge
>become famous
wow such talent i love the top 50 now

There's a surprising amount of taylor swift threads on Sup Forums. Not sure what to make of that

Well said

Hit the nail on the head a bit there

It's all manufactured crap meant to be as generically pleasing as possible so that they can make money. It's capitalism masquerading as art.

>wanting to get into a soulless industry of corporate dicksucking and You-Know-Who's

this

>There's a surprising amount of taylor swift threads on Sup Forums. Not sure what to make of that
This board is truly dead as a platform for discussing music, so it may be her marketing team for all we know.

Because there are 1000's of musicians in this world and the record companies only want a certain amount of people in the charts.

because i'm not being bankrolled by the music industry. most hits are manufactured as fuck with actual artists getting actually popular being an extremely rare occurrence

Do you mean music that is popular, Pop music or actual popular music?

Don't bother, OP. It takes a certain musical intelligence that Sup Forumstants lack in order to appreciate the finer songwriting and production aspects of popular music. The clever transitions, the sleek rhythms and timbres, the complaisant arrangements. When you finally get around to delving into the symbolism and double entendres throughout the lyrics, you're already hooked. Normies may like it for the wrong reasons, but just the same, aspies hate it for the wrong reasons.

If you're signed to a label that promotes your shitty music well, it'll be huge no matter the quality

Every "alternative" band you've heard on the radio isn't on some obscure label. They're all on major ones that can buy space on streaming sites and ads up the ass. Its been that way for decades

I don't like the way it sounds

I've really tried listening to pop music like kanye west/kendrick lamar/sia/etc but it's just so boring to me and doesn't affect me emotionally.
I'll admit I'm a contrarian to the core but I just can't muster any enthusiasm to it.

>the finer songwriting and production aspects of popular music
First of all, OP should've differentiated between top 40 acts and "popular" music, which encompasses a good number of genres. As for the finer songwriting, are we talking about Steely Dan, Kraftwerk, Electric Light Orchestra or the Moody Blues or Katy Perry and Taylor Swift for example?
>When you finally get around to delving into the symbolism and double entendres throughout the lyrics
Again, you didn't differentiate anything. Bob Dylan and Nicki Minaj can be classified as popular music.
>Normies may like it for the wrong reasons, but just the same, aspies hate it for the wrong reasons.
It's almost as if producers and writers are playing on the ears of humans and composing something that would sound familiar and pleasant. And guess what - that's one of the reasons it works.
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0027241

LOWEST
COMMON
DENOMINATOR

Recycle what is trendy amongst real musicians
Give it to a producer that has mastered the art of the Lowest Common Denominator music
Pay people to suck dicks and grease hands in the music industry

Done.

The marketing at work is a work of true art.
Knowing how to make music that appeals to the lowest common denominator of a group of at least half the population while still sounding "fresh" is nothing short of being art.

But just because the guys shilling the music are artfully shilling it and artfully bullshitting people into listening to it does not mean that the music itself is any good or particularly artistic.

The problem is that the people that the music industry likes the most because they can make the most money with them want to do music as a career. People that do truly artistic music want to make an artistic breakthrough with something their heart truly is attached to.

The problem for the later group is that you can only make a career out of doing your true artistic expression only works if it happens to coincide with the taste of an enormously large group, which is not true for most artists. Sure, they can make enaugh money to live of it if they are really really good, but unless they luck out hard their music is not going to be a commodity valuable enaugh that the music industry is going to profit from shilling it and then selling it on a profit.

Thus, while a sizable minority of what you might call "popular music", either in the sense of actual pop or "popular enaugh to run on the radio everywhere" might be actual good music, the overwhelming majority of it is simply hot garbage meant to siphon money out of the pockets of those that don't care enaugh to find or experience actual art.

Lots of effort from marketing teams.

no it doesn't. it takes money

i don't, i just turn on the radio for that but NO ONE FUCKING HERE WANTS TO TALK ABOUT POP MUSIC. IT'S JUST WANNABE GANGSTER/JUNKIE SHIT,

>1000s
More like probably over a billion

>Sup Forums
>listening to gangsta rap
Don't make me laugh, it's too early in the morning for such kneeslappers.

Almost all of the music discusses on Sup Forums everyday is popular music. All Sup Forumscore is popular music.

because it's just not good for actual music fans. Have you ever listened to a top 40 song 20 times in a day, analyzing the subtleties and musicianship? no you haven't, it's just short term entertainment. But it's ok for parties or background noise, however that doesn't make it good in any way.

I think OP is referring to Top 40 stuff.

It's just that he hasn't responded to a single comment. Can't say I'm surprised. This board has to get run into the ground somehow and what could be better than aggravating people?

More than half of the threads on Sup Forums are about fucking pop music. Kys please

this