I have to give a 15 minute presentation next week to my company (180 people)

I have to give a 15 minute presentation next week to my company (180 people)

I'm nervous as fuck, I suck at public speaking

Any tips?

don't dress up like slave leia
also eat a lot of Chipolte the night before

-Actually understand your topic. The best way to fuck up any sort of presentation is not knowing what you're talking about.
-Decide if you want to prewrite your speech or not. Considering it sounds like you aren't great at adlipping, I would start out by making a set of que cards, establish your talking points, and then elaborate on them.

Is it a power point presentation OP, or will you be in front of a stand alone?

Don't use a script. Have notes with general topic headings and a list of any key points you want to make underneath. It's much easier to follow, so you won't get lost, and you won't sound like a boring retard just reading from a sheet.

Practice.

Funny thing I've noticed is that people are nervous because they think they're being judged by a hostile audience. Unless the situation is purposely that all, or nearly all, of your audience is actually on your side.

>unix admin

This.

Also read Dale Carnegie or what ever his name is. I can't remember but thought his books were great.

>comma usage was off
But hopefully you got the gist.

I used to write a while so each out read it a few times say it out loud a few times the night before and once or twice in the morning.
Also what setting will you be in?

Practice while filming yourself, watch it back and adjust your body language. Do it over and over as much as you can and condense everything so you are getting your points out as eloquently as you can in as few words as you can. Watching George Carlin for a few pointers on public speaking might help.

>Any tips?

Rehearse. A lot.

These. I lecture occasionally but it's not my main job. 15 minutes is a good length for a first lecture; you will be able to remember what you want to say. I write the lecture out, so I've seen on paper everything I want to say. I may not try to learn it word for word. That's where notes with section headings, and/or bullet pionts come in handy.

Do you get to use Powerpoint? Your section headings can go on that.

Physiology: breathe slowly beforehand. Move around, don't stand on one spot, but be relaxed in your movements, it's feedback for your nervous system that you are safe. Make eye contact with each member of the audience at some point. It's reassuring for them and you.

-Start loud, if first sentence is good everything after that is easy.

-Realize that most of people does not care about it.

-If you make something stupid, just continue, people really do not care.

-Look at this as that it is training, you can fail and you still win, because you improved your social skills with that experience.

-If you practice in bathroom, it helps.

Best regards from Serbia.

Start off with a racial joke. Say something like, “I see there are some African Americans in the audience. I will speak slowly.”

That always sets a good tome and everyone relaxes.

>Any tips?

Yeah,
> Propanalol or other beta blockers can help dull the adrenal responses. They're safe and commonly used to treat blood pressure. Get some.

> Don't try to be funny (unless you are funny)

> Talk semi-loud, from your chest.

> Know the presentation forward and backward

Piece of cake!

Unix admin beard here.

cont.

If you have a screen or whiteboard or whatever, look at it briefly but turn to face the audience when you speak.

Get used to whatever technology you are using beforehand. That should be a help, not a source of panic.

Don't try to be funny. It's 15 minutes, you don't have to keep their attention with party tricks, they won't get bored going 15 minutes without a joke.

Oh, and concentrate on speaking more slowly than you think you should. Nervous people tend to speak too quickly.

cont.

Speak to the back of the room, like you are speaking to someone right in front of you. You know the feeling of filling the space in front of you in a conversation with a friend. OK, even if not consciously, you know it unconsciously because that's just what we do. Have that same feeling about occupying the space between you and the back of the room. It's not too hard with practice, it's a neat psychological trick that makes you feel more secure. Practice in an empty room a few times.

Powerpoint, but I want to make it unique somehowPrezi?

Try to forget about the fact that you're not really capable and you shouldn't be there.

Look perfect because they're going to be judging you by your clothes, hair, face and body.

Don't say or do anything even slightly embarrassing or for years most of them will only know you as that guy who did that thing. The best you can hope for is to be that awkward loser who did that lame presentation.

Whatever you do, don't be nervous in any way or you're fucked.

On a stage :o

ty serbdaddy

This is what I'm most afraid of. I speak very quickly when I'm nervous

A few people presented today and their voices were shaky af. How can I avoid this?

>I speak very quickly when I'm nervous
So do I, but if you know this beforehand, you can slow your speech down and sound normal.

>their voices were shaky af. How can I avoid this?

That's nerves, which should go away after the first 2-3 minutes. Confidence in delivering your first 2-3 minutes should help with that. I heard a great line once: "If you can't BE brave, ACT brave." Put on some fake bravery/cockiness to get you through the beginning and you should calm down for the rest when you see that it's not so bad after all.

All the things I and other anons said above. Breathe slowly beforehand, practice your material, practice filling the space, keep your body moving in a relaxed manner (not constantly, but don't be frozen to the spot.) Project to the back of the room, your voice will be stronger. Breathe with your abdomen, not your upper chest.

Thanks anons

How about 2-3 shots before eh? lol

Don't be nervous.

You're welcome.

jerk, everyone you're giving a speech to, off before the speech they wouldn't care if you fucked up

Nah, you'll do fine. Just think of the last public speaker you saw. Was it a big deal to you as an audience member? Did you parse every word looking for nervousness or mistakes? No. It's not a big deal. Speak slowly, use bullet points and talk like a normal person. Don't point out that you're nervous (you don't want people focusing on that). 15 minutes isn't that long. You'll feel great when it's over.

Ah no, because then you'd just be nervous and drunk, on work time.

All the stuff above requires practice. It only works if you do it. Practice every day, you'll be OK.

when i started teaching i was nervous for the classes of 20+

either genuinly do not give a fuck or do it hungover, youll be too busy thinking how shit you feel instead of worrying about the presentation. i did this in university too

however public speaking is a skill you can learn so after a while it feels normal doing this shit

no matter what mistake you make they'll forget about it after 20 minutes, don't worry so much

continued

speak slowly and dont fuck up your words. youll naturally speak faster when nervous so keep it under control so you can think clearly about whatever it is youre presenting.

2 shots before going on stage boya. gl

ok. lets do this lads. thanks for the help