Why don't you listen to Meshuggah?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zg2076b5Lqc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Cool cover.

Good album, all the instruments were recorded "live" on this one

I do. I do drum covers of this shit

Very nice, respect.
I play drums too but usually playing Funk and Vildhjarta, weird combo for my neighbors I'm sure

Thanks guy. I did a pretty good job at Nostrum but it nearly gave me carpal tunnel. YouTube won't let me upload it for copyright

I'm trying to get into jazz myself but I'm in a doom metal band that takes up too much of my energy

I've also got one of these, hard to play on the old lute.
Them boys in Meshuggah sure know how to finger

My ex likes them otherwise no issues with them

I highly recommend fucking around improving over 70s funk and 80's hip hop, that's the most fun I've ever had playing I think

How far out is their shit anyways? I'm not a guitar guy but I've always wondered how their composition compares to more normie shit, if that makes any sense

Like Tower of Power shit? Jazz is fun but it will take some time to develop good chops

Hmm, well, generally speaking you need a 7 or 8 string, can be done with a heavily modified 6 string if that helps.
My lowest string on the 8 is at F, which is only a whole note lower than standard 8. A lot of where their sound/tone comes is from the bass, also at F, playing in time with the guitars and an octave lower.
They aren't the lowest tuning band, but it's pretty obvious you don't need to be tuned in Drop -234Zz to sound heavy

And hell yeah, that's what helped me across playing all genres. I wouldn't take back my 4 years in high school jazz band for anything
Pic related is the kit I ran in high school, still have it minus cracking and replacing cymbals with whatever throughout the years. I'm a Paiste Alpha guy, but have found a love in Saluda

Meshuggah is amazing

I fucked that up, I meant standard E, but the lowest string is already an octave below the F you could naturally produce in standard E tuning on a 6 string.

I have a mishmash because I'm poor. Recently got a Sabian AAX even though I hate the sound clips, but it's really good live. Have a hunk of metal 22" Earth ride from the 80s too. Eats sticks to hell

I would have given anything to learn drums properly in high school or maybe college. I bet that was some fun shit, playing on a kit with an orchestra with a bunch of crazy motherfuckers

AAx Xplosion I mean

Like I said I know nothing about guitars. I finally realized with this album that their guttural, amazing tone comes from the vibration of the strings, it feels much more physical than other bands that I usually listen to. Meshuggah has been my favorite band for years and will probably be my favorite for years to come

To be honest, a lot of the wind instruments fucking hated me because when something fun came around I would fucking let loose and give her hell lol. We had jazz band in the morning before school, marching band or pep band right before lunch. Pep band was the nice mix of classic rock/pop/whatever.
Learning how to understand rhythm was crucial to me in hindsight, but once I moved to guitar I was very sad I didn't have more interest in note/chord structure.
The good thing is, we're chatting on the internet and we can learn anything we want to on the internet

Have you worked through any books at all? I have several but I don't have the patience to work through them. If I wanted to up my skills for a really good set of string players I would have more motivation

The only books to cross my path were the fundamental books in 5th and 6th grade, from there on we were just handed progressively harder sheet music and practiced the shit out of it for the concerts.
I'm not a fan of books, I find that focusing on technique too much can be a bad thing, but none at all and it's hard to progress. There's a balance, watch youtube videos of the old pros talking about playing, like Chris Adler. He's a good teacher of how he plays

Yeah totally get what you mean. I watched a lot of Danny Carey videos back in the day. That dude from Styx is a decent teacher too

That's exactly what I'm talking about, that's the best shit in my opinion

I do, but nothing past Obzen.

I'm not alone here am I? I don't find the new stuff half as engaging

ObZen was definitely more brutal, especially Combustion. I like Koloss well enough. TVSOR hit that much harder after Koloss. Clockworks blew my fucking mind the first time

Who else are you into? Haake is probably my most influential, followed by Carey. I played a lot of APC too. Lots of shit really, things I can't even remember anymore. I'm too lazy to explore new bands

fair enough. I just find destroy erase improve to be the most interesting musically. Love those jazz fusion sections, wish those would make a return.

In order of influence, Chris Adler from LoG, Joey from Slipknot, because Iowa came out in 2nd or 3rd grade and I lost my shit, thirdly is ANYTHING Blues & Funk. Grandpa was in a popular blues band so that's my true roots.
As of the last ten years, got really into Vildhjharta, After the Burial, Tool, Born of Osiris, and a shiny gem from my youth is a band called Viatrophy, one album only came from them.
Needless, to say, broad influence in metal and blues has led me to playing shit like Sianvar, A lot Like Birds, Stolas, Dance Gavin Dance.
While the vocal content might notbe for everyone, their instrumental work is phenomenal

Yeah. Between now and then music has had to change a lot. I really like the 90s style of rock too, when you could tell the artists lived and breathed their work, when it was real expression. DEI must have shown that

What do you think of Catch 33?

How about I

>Sianvar, A lot Like Birds, Stolas, Dance Gavin Dance
Imma look this up

I is good for what it is. I wish it lasted longer. Most of the sections are great, especially after that pause close to the the middle

If you do Sianvar, watch Omniphobia
If you do Stolas, Bellwether
A lot Like Birds is good all around, but their first to albums are more complicated than the third.
Dance Gavin Dance has gone down hill since they let TIllian start singing, so anything from Downtown Battle Mountain (the first) might be best to try

a friend of mine lent it to me, not a huge fan honestly. the premise itself is cool but I find it a bit monotonous to listen to, just like newer meshuggah albums.

>Sianvar, watch Omniphobia
They sound like AAL meets Sky Eats Airplane but I can't put my finger on the vocal style. It's unique. It's good

And actually that song title reminded me of Arithmophobia from AAL. Fuckin a their newest album is great, I wasn't a fan until The Madness Of Many

That's fair. Catch 33 really is monotonous. Must be preference, I like digesting a certain sound and getting hypnotized

I'm glad that you found something new that is appealing, that makes me feel better. Have had a shitty last few days

I have a feeling if I saw them live I would feel the same way. I've heard it's a totally hypnotic experience of just heavy percussion, which sounds awesome. It's just on record I prefer to hear a bit more variety, short attention span I guess.

Sorry to hear it man. Vent if you will

PS A Lot Like Birds is great, listening to Trace The Lines, musicality is top notch. I'm also wondering if you heard of Rishloo or Fair to Midland

And the singer is actually from Hail the Sun, if that helps.
Sianvar is a mesh of talented folks across the genre they nest in. Drummer from A lot like birds, guitar from Dance Gavin Dance, Bass is from A lot like Birds

Have not heard of that, but I'll write it down for later for sure.
Eh, same old shit. I'm 24, been single for 4 years and it's starting to bug me again.
I have a career rather than a job, play music, keep to myself, and I think I'm a genuine nice guy.
Can't catch a fucking break once I actually start "texting" someone, they all get bored I guess

but I do OP.

I won tickets to see them at a concert. To this day, it was easily the best concert I've ever been to, period. Best night of my life.

Excellent!

I get you man. I just made out with a younger beautiful girl for the first time since I broke up with my ex in January. We kissed in the parking lot because she asked me to walk her back to her car. She said to put my number in her phone but she hasn't texted in days. Being a nice guy isn't always appropriate I think. I'm not going to go TRP and say it's never a good idea because sometimes it's necessary, but boldness is important too. Girls' feelings and securities are much more flexible than guys are led to believe, you can push boundaries without worrying

I'm liking all the shit you showed me so far dude, good shit

I've never seen them or Tool in concert but I want to change that

>concert venue has a sprung dance floor for the mosh pit
>while the Meshuggah crew were setting up, they were playing Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" on repeat
>getting impatient, my friend and I start a stomping chant "MESH-UGG-AH, MESH-UGG-AH"
>whole crowd gets into it, stomping was loud due to the floor
>eventually band comes out playing Obsidian as they make their stage presence known
>suddenly Demiurge out of nowhere
>be smack dab in the middle of the mosh pit
>my face

I'm just too nice, I've accepted that. I'm the insecure one in a relationship and need a girl to be the emotional foundation, so I feel that she's not going to run. I know the problem, just not how to fix it.
If i had to add a few more to check out, Emarosa and Vanna might be good to check out.
Emarosa will always have a special place in my heart

I'm honestly afraid to be in the mosh at one of their shows
Props to you and your bud

youtube.com/watch?v=zg2076b5Lqc
Good shit. I love his screaming

Are you in a band? Playing live can get you fired up and can give you a huge surge of confidence if it goes well

the mosh was pretty exhausting, but it was so dense, that it was difficult to fall over. Even when someone did fall down, they were almost immediately on their feet again. Usually everyone wants to have a good time, as long as you keep an eye out for those fuckers who just want to swing wildly with their elbows up.

My friend had never been to a metal concert like that before, but he's a pretty big guy and was easily able to fend for himself in the mosh. Somehow he managed to lose his glasses twice, and both times I was able to find them. They were kinda bent, but not beyond repair.

No playing live, just more for myself these days. Mid 20's is hard, everyone is starting careers and families and we lose time for friends it seems

Yeah. It's bullshit. I'm your age and the last thing I want to do is sellout just to live comfortably. Here's to finding a band one day that gives us enough interest to keep the melancholy away