Why do left leaning hip hop fans hypocritically ignore the rampant misogyny and sexism in rap music today?

why do left leaning hip hop fans hypocritically ignore the rampant misogyny and sexism in rap music today?

i would call myself a liberal, so don't me a poltard or whatever, but every single day i see people who are supposedly social activists or are supposedly progressive but completely ignore the misogynist themes so present in rap music. why is this? why do the people making this music get a pass for that behavior?

Other urls found in this thread:

issuu.com/adboyntonii/docs/syllabus_final
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bigotry of low standards

Yep this

they dont ignore it they're just not going as hard on them. Quavo got called out for homophobia, as did tyler for his lyrics. Rick Ross also got called out for what he said about hiring female rappers.

I know its not as harsh as when other musicians do it but rappers are being held accountable

Alot of left leaning people still find it too mysognistic and offensive glorifying violence. Others can realise that life is subjective and observable and brush over the need for a safe space. Mostly they listen to radio approved indie.

because it is culture of niggers and they don't even know any better. As a starbucks frequent visitor and proud mac owner I with superior morals and intelligence will lead niggers to deserved prosperity.

It's a problem and folks are working on it. I see more and more attention paid to this, so I assume you probably don't read much

issuu.com/adboyntonii/docs/syllabus_final is a really great example recently

Also, misogyny is a problem pretty much everywhere, have you tried looking more carefully at yourself, your friends, and other genres of music that you listen to? Why do you ignore the rampant misogyny and sexism in rock music?

I agree with you, Eric Andre.

yeah john lennon beat his wife, but I only listen to prog rock, post rock and noise rock

Name one rock song of the last 5 years that has mysoginist elements

>Also, misogyny is a problem pretty much everywhere, have you tried looking more carefully at yourself, your friends, and other genres of music that you listen to?
>well its okay to ignore the blatant sexism and homophobia in the modern age which is financially and supported by fans because there's a possibility of you being sexist and homophobia.
Who gives a shit if I'm sexist or homophobic, im not being paid or rewarded for it. Also name a genre that's as openly and encouraging to homophobia or sexism as hip hop.

>Why do you ignore the rampant misogyny and sexism in rock music?
Rock music hasn't been sexist in like 20 years, im not going to pretend it doesn't happen but its not as open with it as it once was and people have lost their careers over what they've done. Indie in particular is the most socially aware and while thats annoying since it spills in their music you cant say that they're sexist or misogynist.

it's interesting how when it's music made by white people, you see problems as an exception and not your responsibility, but when it's made by black people, you see the entire community as responsible for speaking out and fixing it.

rap is just the music I listen to, I don't have to agree withe everything every rapper says. And for me as a white person to pinpoint misogyny within the black community/music wold be misguided.

>Also name a genre that's as openly and encouraging to homophobia or sexism as hip hop.
dancehall, reggae, soca, etc

It's for the sake of enjoyment. It's like suspension of disbelief. Most people will put up with music that does a few things they don't like if it also does a bunch of things they do like. Listening to a piece of music and even enjoying it isn't the same as vouching for everything it has to say

because it's made by black people and they are immune to criticism

Didn't he literally just say that rock/indie communities already DO police themselves on these things? I know reading is hard but try to keep up.

You're wrong. Hip-hop is actually under a lot more scrutiny nowdays, and comare hip-hop 20 years ago to hip-hop today, it's A LOT more tame.

this has nothing to do with race but thanks for dragging it down to this dimwitted level, also you've answered none of my points

>it's interesting how when it's music made by white people, you see problems as an exception and not your responsibility
well first off i cant control how everyone thinks or acts, but i can for sure say that when another genre is homophobic or sexist they lose their career very quickly, this isn't the case for hiphop where there are open misogynists and homophobic going unattended yet are financially supported.
>but when it's made by black people, you see the entire community as responsible for speaking out and fixing it.
the Hip hop community is responsible for the fame and popularity of the artists within the community so it would make sense for them to have some sort of standards or decency when it comes to certain things.

This has nothing to do with black or white people, just that hip hop artists have this pass to be homophobic and sexist and no one is dealing with it as much as it could be compared to other genres

because the music is made by black people.

you would have to be retarded to think that stuff is just as prominent in rock music. I love rap, but the misogyny is off the charts.

> for me as a white person to pinpoint misogyny within the black community/music wold be misguided.

Can you elaborate?

>And for me as a white person to pinpoint misogyny within the black community/music wold be misguided.
Why would that be?

>And for me as a white person to pinpoint misogyny within the black community/music wold be misguided.

what do you mean? just because someone is black or makes hip hop music doesn't mean they cannot be called out on their homophobia/sexism/misogyny by a different race. there isn't a special kind of misogny black people commit, its just misogyny. across the board.

something something systematic opression
something something racism
something something da white man

It would be better to tackle misogyny as a whole and let black people deal with it within their communities. Coming in from outside makes it harder to understand what factors affect misogyny in those communities. Adding to that, sexism in the US exists because of western imperialism, and to pinpoint black people as if they are inherently sexist would be wrong.

Youre mind is a subjective phenomenon of youret brain, which exists in physical space...

if you say you don't like sexist music, and you include rap in that, so be it. But singling it out among society as a whole is stupid.

The issue at hand isn't making a point of singling out rap music, it's the fact that sexism and homophobia within the rap community is largely ignored by the very people that are quick to call it out everywhere else it occurs, whether it actually does or not.

>Coming in from outside makes it harder to understand what factors affect misogyny in those communities.
do you really want to know the root cause for it or do you want it to be gone? is it necessary to know the root cause?
>Adding to that, sexism in the US exists because of western imperialism
almost all societies, western or not excluding sparta and some exceptions have been patriarchal and somewhat sexist or at least supportive of gender roles. Why would sexism in the US be strictly a western thing?
>and to pinpoint black people as if they are inherently sexist would be wrong.
no one said they're inherently anything, just that they are being sexist and homophobic and that there's no accountability

How would we be attacking it as a whole if we leave the black community to sort it out themselves? Wouldn't attacking it as a whole include the criticism of all cultures, including black american ones?

If they're outside hip hop culture, then leftists feel like it's not *their* place to criticize, say, the use of the word "bitch" in rap tracks.

But like said, there is progress being made.

well personally i care more about things like legislation that affect people rather than soundbites of what celebrity said what

If leftists fuck up hip hop with their shitty feminist shit it'll be the end, who want to hear a rapper say "suck my dick/only consensual/i respect women quick/understand the pain of the menstrual"

are you literally 8

Because lefties think of blacks as their pets and thus, they don't hold them to the same standards they would hold other groups

Even Eminem was considered a misogynist by these same groups.

White liberals are incredibly bigoted and racist

8 inches ur bitch hoe

rappers get called out on the regular so i dont see what your on about. and misogny is literally omnipresent so im not sure why you would single out rap.

There's a reason "Dindu nuffin" is a meme

I am aware that misogyny exists in rap, but I really wonder if I should count calling a woman a bitch/hoe and talking about having sex with promiscuous women as misogynistic.

Especially the sex part seeing that most of the time, it's based on reality.

define misogyny in detail.

Look, in rap, hoes are called hoes. Bitches are called bitches. And look what they are surrounded by constantly. Bitches, hoes and thots. I'm not going to pretend that whores do not exist because they do and all of them love rap music.

>boo hoo you rap about killing all these people but don't care call that woman a thot that's wrong.

Get the fuck out of here with that. And then the argument becomes well it's not about their music but their actions too. Yeah well, so what. If you want music by only not assholes then go find it. I will never understand this notion of "this is a bad person, I cannot enjoy their music". Rick Ross pistol whipped and damn near held hostage his gardener for doing apparently shitty work and yet he only caught shit for a throwaway molly line. Migos basically the gayest niggas out and they caught shit for homophobia for no reason. But shit, that didn't slow them down.

You want to blame something blame the US justice system because apparently rapists and murderers can roam free as long as the music is good. Shit NBA Youngboy just got a 10 year suspended sentence after he had multiple shootouts with a rival gang for three fucking days. Judge said the only reason it's suspended was because none of the niggas could shoot for shit, hence the shootout happening over 3 fucking days. Go to any of these rap shows, nothing but women in the audience.

I dunno why it is white people are so quick to turn on their own. Blacks don't do that. R Kelly running a sex dungeon and they are trying to buy tickets to it. I saw how you did those PWR BTTM fags, you turned on them real quick and they were gay and everything. SKM spoke his mind once and he still can't get a decent review from one of the white media that loved him just a year ago. There's a poisonous groupthink mentality in the current crop of music and film journalism and that needs to end period.

>misogny is literally omnipresent

Literally because they're black and as stupid as watermelon seeds

Its always been in music... its nothing new at all. Today is no worse than 80s hair metal. Its just now that everyone's movement is tracked on the net.

Why the fuck do you faggots care about shit like this? Are you that fucking cucked? There's nothing wrong with being sexist.

I saw the new fantano video too op

Why would a leftist support a capitalist conglomerate like Starbucks? Are Americans this retarded and illiterate

true.
they hold brown people to a lower standard.

>the people making this music get a pass

We live in a free country, you don't need a free pass to say offensive shit in music or any other art form. What do you want them to do, try and ban shit?

Well, it did improve a lot in the last 10 years, it's just not a very fast process and as an user noted, sexism and homophobia are common everywhere.

Hip hop gets more of a pass because it's the music from the poor to the poor, or at least was intentionally, and poor people do tend to have backwards attitudes, since they have more pressing things on their mind to take care off. Other than that, hip hop is supposed to be provocative, calling it out won't have any effect.

America doesn't have real leftists. Just far right loons and centrist who are perceived as the left. And Murican centrists act pretty consistent with the idea.

50+ replies and (You) can't get no satisfaction

First of all, there isnt rampant misogyny now days.

Obviously the SJWs, supercial progressive cupckaes and the controled midia dont blame the rappers because they are black/social minority. When u fill the victim agenda, u have a free pass. If a white bitch start blaming about the "misoginy" in rap, black community will call her a racist because she is trying to change black culture.

The same thing happens in my country, Brazil. The problematic brazilian slums created a strange kind of music called "Funk". The lyrics of Funk are really against all SJW fight for, its about sex with young teenager girls, drugs, and misoginy, most of the time. But the SJWs from Brazil (worse than american and european SJWs) loves brazilian Funk, just because its from "poor comunity" and represent the slums and the poor people.

The SJW dont care about making a world a better place, they just care that poeple thing they care about this.