Hi anons, I am an 18/yo high school senior from the U.S. and I am broke af

Hi anons, I am an 18/yo high school senior from the U.S. and I am broke af.

I want to start college next year, but I am seriously lacking the funds necessary to go. I've been applying to scholarships like crazy, which besides taking out a loan (which I don't want to do) is my only way of going.

I know some of you might say that college is a waste of money, but at the very least I would like to go for the experience of going. From what I hear, nothing is quite like the college experience and I don't want to regret not going later in life.

I am a good student (3.81 GPA) and am a standing member in a lot of clubs at my school such as NHS, student council, mock trial etc.

I've applied to a lot of my local town's scholarships, but I thought some people here may know of some good scholarship opportunities if you've already jumped through all of these hoops. I am interested in mathematics and engineering, if that helps at all.

Also, general college discussion thread. What's it like?

>I want to go to college but don't want to pay for it
Save your future classmates the torture you being in their class and kill yourself.

When push comes to shove, I will take out a federal loan or a decent third party and pay it off over time, but I'd much rather save as much as possible.

I may be retarded for wanting to go to college, but I am not retarded for wanting to pay less.

"AMERICA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD"
>No Universal Health Care
>No Higher Education Loan Programme or Higher Education Contribution Scheme if you parents didnt save for 'College' you boned
>Houses the Gang Capital of world: Los Angeles
>Only developed country in the world that has a firearm death rate on the same level as African Nations and south America
>15% of United states lives under the poverty line, Countries with the same issue: Afghanistan, Jamaica, Iran, Cambodia, Bosnia, Vietnam

think you meant 'same percentage' you dinghus

Dumb

I do not disagree with your statements, but your statements do not change the fact that I want to go to college.

Maybe someday I could get into politics and work on some reform to fix the problems you have listed.

Man I graduated with a 4.6gpa (we had ap credits that brought most up to a 5.0 gpa Max but not everyone was on that scale) and I didn't get squat in scholarships. I'm drowning in 75k of debt and haven't graduated school yet cause I keep running out of money (been in 10 years now).
Good luck joining me bro

Move to Slovenia. Get a better education than you'd get from 90% of American colleges for free.

I’m a freshman at H/Y/P/S/M and it sucks.
3.8 is trash btw

Man, that sounds shitty. I'm sorry you got screwed over with your scholarship game. Could I ask a few questions?

1. Did you fill out the FAFSA or anything like that in order to get federal student aid? If so, did you ever receive aid? (Student loan, whatever)

2. What was your major?

3. Where did you study?

4. What was your family's income situation when you went in? It seems like that matters a lot, I don't know if that's why your scholarship apps didn't go anywhere.

Even though you went through this process awhile ago, I am sure many of these things still hold similar water in today's system.

Look into colleges in germany, they offer free education to international students(specifically americans).

Slovenia? Would I be able to study there free even without being a legal citizen there? Did you do this yourself? If I went, would I need to learn some random Slavic language?

This doesn’t matter. It’s not about debt it’s about where you graduate from

Thank you, I will look into it! I think my teacher did something similar to this, but he has dual American-German citizenship.

I will look into it, no need to ask you questions and waste your time. :)

I don't understand your point.. OP clearly stated he's lacking funds, and there are many good colleges like Technical University of Munich which are renowned throughout Europe, and have good job prospects for graduates.

Bro you’re an idiot

Sorry mate but if you think you're going to go to college without going into massive debt first you are going to be very disappointed.
Welcome to life.
I was saying the same bullshit a couple years ago.
You think you're ever just gonna have enough money sitting around to drop the entire cost of a car? Or a house?
Start building your credit is my advice.
You're gonna need it.

It doesn’t matter if you have no debt when you graduate, you go to college so you can get hired. No one is going to hire you if you go to some random school

German universities are overcrowded and overextended because they hand this shit out like candy. I wouldn't recommend.

Also don’t believe this I don’t have to pay a dime at H/Y/P/S/M
Get a scholarship

Military. It's only four years of your life and you get 100% of your college paid for along with a $1200 housing allowance every month you are in school (this varies depending on where you go to school but not by much). Plus military teaches you a lot of different skills you can't learn as a civilian and employers look at it as gold on a resume. You don't have to join the Marines and go all hardcore either. You can join an easier branch, Navy/Air Force and choose a job within the field of study you wish to pursue. It's something to consider.

1. Yes I applied and it's the only way aside from outta pocket I could get.

2. I'm now triple majoring since I've been in for so long. Went in starting with a chemistry degree but have since changed to 2 liberal arts and engineering.

3.ive studied at three unis in Texas and one community college.

4. Unfortunately my dad was making just over 50k a year and they said I didn't qualify since he made too much for our 4member family to not be able to support both me and my sis in college.

You'd be correct since even though I'm almost 30 now FAFSA still asks me for family income and since I'm on my own now they say I make too much (24k a year) to not support myself and college for financial aid. It's rigged man. Should've never gone to college.

Don't listen to the others, if you can find a way to fund going to college without going bankrupt/knee deep in loans its definitely worth it especially in STEM. Also look into regional scholarships for ex. Hope/Zell Miller which we have in Georgia

You can learn a lot from this faggot But to answer your questions, yes they won't charge you even though you're not a citizen. No, they teach most classes you need in English. Germany will also let you study there for free, but you have to learn German.

Military pays only for one college so don't go to a community college and use it cause you're fucked if you go into a 4 year after.

>went to top school in my state
>changed major 3 years into current major (biology to computer science)
>2 years since and I haven't been in school since the first year of my switch. In other words, still considered a sophomore in my current major. Just turned 25.

Currently own a restaurant in my hometown. Work 50-70 hour weeks. Planning on going back to college to finish my major (still in STEM obviously), but I'm transferring back to the small university in my city (not that small, but small when compared to the 50k students in my other university, it seems that way).

I picked the wrong college, because I wanted a "college experience" and not something that was practical. I could've finished out my degree here quicker and wouldn't be so much into debt. My advice, pick something close to home if you're poor, live with your parents at least until you graduate (no shame in it faggot, unless you're a total loser). Fuck the normalfag "college experience".

This thread is full of people who don’t know how the market works. Don’t screw yourself at a bad school.

Peace

Lol, yeah, this 3.8 gpa faggot is never getting a full ride into ivy league.
Must be nice living in a fantasy world.

what is H/Y/P/S/M?

3.8 unweighted is certainly not trash.

Not true at all!! Former military myself and they pay for 4 years of college or trade school. I went to 2 different colleges for my 4 year and the military paid both times. It's based on time, not how many colleges you go to. You can go to 8 different colleges, 1 for each semester and the military will pay for it

It’s not one school, to avoid coming off too strong I just say

Yea it it, my unweighted was a 4 last year. 1510 SAT, that should be good enough for at least brown or Cornell scholarship

It’s not fantasy I’m literally in my dorm

college is bascily dicking around with your friends with maybe an 2-3 hours of class, with weed, alcohol, and drugs at low cheap prices.

Sex and boozes will happen so much it will become a consent back ground in your life. i don't how describe it only explain it.

This guy went to community college, real college is pure work 24/7

You clearly didn't major in electrical engineering because that was most certainly not my experience in college nor that of most of my peers.

That’s why he’s on Sup Forums rn

Oh great, a next Bernie sanders. Congratulations for being the most worthless human in the planet.

its a Florida party college

Most colleges want you to attend a min of 30 hours (impossible for one semester of schooling) in order to graduate.

Fucking seriously. College is a waste of time and the market is saturated with people with expensive pieces of paper. Go to a trade school. Guaranteed work after guaduation.

OP here. My 3.81 GPA is unweighted, and my senior year isn't finished yet. I might be able to swing a 3.9 or 4.0 by the end of the year due to AP/IB. My school has a grade bump system that can easily net you a 5.0 in multiple classes.

I took the SAT twice, got a 1300 then a 1400. Not the best scores, I know, but it is what it is. I took it twice because all of the colleges I am applying to (Central Washington University, University of Washington, Western Washington University and Montana State University) all superscore.

College is for cucks
Pick a decent trade
Work your way up
401k asap and retire
In a 2nd world country