Shoegaze

Any shoegaze enthusiasts here? How come Ride's Vapour Trail (and their album Nowhere by extension) considered a masterpiece and one of the greatest tracks in this genre? I'm a pleb so I don't understand the significance in this song. Please help me understand. Is the lyrics? Or is it the song structure?
youtube.com/watch?v=ygGw_zo_W8A

When I listen to something else from the same genre like Machine Gun by Slowdive with my oblivious ear, I'd think it's a better song than Ride's Vapour Trail.
youtube.com/watch?v=3ylunl72PyE

Also I think that Ride's Cali out of their latest album after a 21-year hiatus is more enjoyable than their early stuff. It isn't shoegaze though.
youtube.com/watch?v=NjQmP0HUCZQ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3diz8I0AVVk
youtube.com/watch?v=IvTNBbFkq4w
instagram.com/p/BWC-swgFgph/?taken-by=igpups
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

H-hello?

I guess each band of the 'big 3' of shoegaze needed some songs from which a basic entry point could be made of them, and in Ride's case, one of these songs was Vapour Trail. I think it just serves as a teaser/taste of the band''s music. It doesn't compare to Machine Gun or Slowdive - Slowdive are way better, but a comparison shouldn't be made anyway. But yeah, Vapour Trail is just a good entry point to Ride's music. I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece, but it is one of Ride's (who were one of the 'big 3' of shoegaze) best songs.

I wish this was my gf.

Which are the big 3 of shoegaze? I find the sound in this genre rather enchanting and would like to get into it.

Also how did you find Ride's latest album Weather Diaries? Which songs stood out for you?

People always look for objective qualities in "classic" music that are supposed to explain why people say it's so good but it's always just that people had different taste back then cause the musical climate and context the song was released in was different than it is today and the song probably just made a lot of people cry.

A lot of Ride's stuff didn't age too well cause their style didn't really carry over and influence today's prominent artists too much.

Though there is that band SULK but they're just Ride-lite.

Since Ride released a new album this year after a break of over two decades, how do you think their new material compares to their old stuff? Sorry for repeating this question to every poster in this thread who will bite, I just discovered them recently.

Here is the only other picture I have of her.

Vapor Trail just feels good. Very catchy chord progression and melody. That's why I like it.
Nowhere isn't strict shoegaze, but it ended up being influential to the genre anyway so it gets lumped together with Loveless and Souvlaki as the holy trinity (answering ). But I think they have more in common with post-JAMC jangle pop than MBV and Slowdive.
I think their gaziest track is Dreams Burn Down and the tracks that really flaunt their stuff are Seagull and Leave Them All Behind.

not him but out of the three shoegaze comeback records, WD was my least favorite
they toned down the noise a lot in it, which I felt was their best feature

I haven't listened to Weather Diaries yet, sorry.

>Loveless
Thanks for the reply, I'll check that out.
> three shoegaze comeback records
Do you mean Ride's discography? I thought they had 4 more albums after their debut?

Loveless is a lot more dense and noisy than Souvlaki or Nowhere, you'll either love it or hate it at first. If you hate it lmk and I'll point to things that sound more like Slowdive.
>three shoegaze comeback records
I meant out of MBV's, Slowdive's, and Ride's comeback records.

Could you recommend stuff like Slowdive? I especially like the sorrowful sound in Machine Gun.

Do you like 90s alternative rock? Like the shit you would hear on the radio? Grunge, britpop, that kind of shit? No? You want prettier and more ethereal? Then don't listen to Ride, they're not for you. I love all that shit, so Ride is damn near my favorite band. If I ever made a band it would sound like them.

I enjoyed Cali a lot. It's been repeating on my playlist ever since I first heard it.

I included Mojave 3, not because it sounds like Slowdive but because it has members of Slowdive in it. It's more like a dreamy country band; check it out if you're interested.

Thank you.

Oh also you might enjoy Cocteau Twins. i didn't put them on the chart because they don't really have the gloomy sound like Slowdive, but they were massively influential to shoegaze.
Check them out here: youtube.com/watch?v=3diz8I0AVVk

Also you might like this demo tape by a band that never got their foot off the ground
youtube.com/watch?v=IvTNBbFkq4w

Best thing I've ever watched

Now watch it with sound.
instagram.com/p/BWC-swgFgph/?taken-by=igpups

Very nice.

Chinese Lunchable

Ride is shit and has always been shit. I have no idea why they're considered good by anyone.

What do you think is good shoegaze then?

>Lyrics
>Shoegaze
Throw that idea out of the window. Vocals and lyrics are used as another layer of instrumentation.

Nearly every other major act from the 90's that wasn't Ride. Particularly MBV.

>inb4 vaccums

kys