Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums
I need philosophical arguments to why we can or can not satisfy all of our desires.

Care to chime in?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/streamentry/wiki/beginners-guide.
sites.google.com/site/rahulawhatthebuddha/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

who is "we"?

For most, it is impossible. No matter what you have, you will always want more. It takes deliberate rewiring of your impulses to be perfectly content with whatever you have.

>why we can or can not satisfy all of our desires.
Because women find me repugnant, and very very few people like me at all.

People in general.
Impossible because
>moral limits
>physical limits
>laws
possible if :
>we limit our desires
>we become omnipotent

i can't find any more though

Depends on the desires.

/end thread/

If you have enough money, resources and time you might satisfy all of your current desires. If you killed yourself in that very moment you have won! But if you make the mistake of waking up tomorrow then you'll have more desires to fulfill, and you've lost.

Got an assignment due in 21 and a half hours?

who sits down to unscrew 4 screws
are you for real

not OP... but I agree somewhat with this. not necessarily takes "deliberate rewiring" to succeed...
I feel content in my shitty life, and don't care to make anything better, because hell, why would I? but I feel there is peer pressure from American culture to never be content, because contentment is synonymous to stagnation to many people.

>people in general
then you mean why can/cannot we (people) satisfy our own desires, or have our desires satisfied by other people?

happiness, and every other emotion comes from nowhere, but within you. only you can make you happy. ceasing the search for happiness is probably the best way to find it. it is our pursuit that builds up what happiness is, and when we attain what we think will make us happy, it usually doesn't, because most people erroneously look for happiness in others, or material things.

>4 screws
>screws

Sauce on grill?

it's a grill

some weak-kneed bitch trying to use screws as lug nuts

>screws
why do you keep saying that

I think our nature betrays our "satisfaction". Once you have something, it is not the same as wanting it. Or the experience just does not feel X times better how you think it will feel. It's not a bad thing, but I think we see things that indulge our fantasies and our imaginations are unchecked.

I was going to comment this. It's human nature to be curious, also to be curious as to what it would be like to have a desire fulfilled. Your desires always remain but shift.

You don’t need philosophy.
Humans have unlimited wants, and we have limited resources. That’s the basics of the science of economics.

We cannot because of infinite regress (attainment of desire leads to further - more extreme - desires in the same category) .
Conclude essay.
2 examples of how we cannot fulfill desire due to infinite regress.
Explore how we can avoid the problem of infinite regress by evaluating our desires properly.
Give one firm example of reevaluating desire.

Jopp. Erstmal ohne Wagenheber die schrauben losmachen und Wundern warum es so schlecht geht. Wenn 2-3 Schrauben draußen sind komisch schauen warum alles verbogen ist und sich dann Fragen, warum das Auto umfällt wenn der Reifen weg ist.

Imagine the best pizza you every had. Now you see a pizza that looks just as good if not better. You have a piece and it's good, but it's not equal too Or better than your memory. Is It your memory that's different? Your senses? How hungry you were? Ther pizza itself.

You spend your life chasing that pizza but you may never match that experience.

Cause infiniteg greed cause conflifting desires

>satisfy all of our desires
you will always desire what you can't have, you can't have everything at once.

bumping

elaborate a little more please?

I know this is Sup Forums so nothing is serious, but this is actually one of the most important questions a person can ever ask.

Desire can never be satisfied because desire arises from the impermanent. Since it arises from impermanence it too is impermanent. This impermanence is the cause of suffering. To end suffering one must, somewhat paradoxically, guide their desire to reach a state of neither having desire nor not having desire. Only then can suffering be ended. Desire is a raft. You are on the shore of suffering. The other short is non-suffering. It does not make sense to take the raft with you once you've landed on the other side. Only a fool would carry the raft on his back once he reached the other shore. But you still need the raft to get their for the water is fast and dangerous.

So to not actually answer your question OP: not all desires lead towards the end of suffering. Strive to follow the desires which lead to non-suffering.

I would love to hear more on what you have to say bro, post more.

well what i did was basically

1) we can satisfy them
if we limit them like Epicurus said
if we elimiate what depends on us and what doesn't ( epictete)
2) we can't
moral limits
physical limits
laws etc.. prevent us from
3)we don't really need to because of pessimsm, schaupenhaurs statement on desire and how it's an endless loop of suffering, so it's no use to even satisfy them as we are always unhappy.

I can't argue from a position of philosophy, but I can argue from hard science.

Our brains are programmed to drain the joy out of doing the things we like doing. This is an adaptation to stop us getting too comfortable in any one spot. It means we are always restless, always chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, always wanting to see if the grass is greener on the other side.

You can either fight it, or go with it. Do something different today. Pick up a new game. Start a new exercise routine. Learn some phrases in a language you always promised you would learn. By the end of the week, you will be profoundly happier and better adjusted.

Scarcity

Please excuse the reddit link: reddit.com/r/streamentry/wiki/beginners-guide. This really is a good place to start despite being over there, just read the beginner's guide and faq, the actual threads are meh.

This: sites.google.com/site/rahulawhatthebuddha/ is also a good intro read.

The most important part is the practice.

sure. because we're a part of something greater. how's that? did i do good?

What?

because for 250,000 years desire didnt matter, survival did, your only desire was to not die a painful death and to have children who lived to adulthood.

now in this era, we have no threats, we are so safe our minds start to look for danger, because there no way anyone can just "be safe"
we know here our food is, we know where people are, we know how to get help if we need it, we know where to go if we are sick.

this, at the end of the day leaves us empty. Humans evolved to survive and adapt, but now we dont have to survive, or adapt. we can be anything we want, the problem is what it mean to be human.

we have no true desires, thus we cant fulfill them.

what?