What the fuck does "populist" mean?

What the fuck does "populist" mean?
Whenever I am reading news about some election they always randomly label some of the candidates "populists" usually if they are not the mainstream medias favorite candidate.
Does this term actually mean anything? or does it just mean "the scary guy who wants to go against the status quo and isn't supported by the msm" etc...

Populist is a buzzword meaning they want to do what the populace wants.

ie. proper democracy. The jew is afraid of functional democracy.

it implies pandering to the lowest common denominator
it's about making the leader and his followers look uneducated hicks

It means that just shout things that people want to hear, but are practically impossible. Like building a pointless huge wall, or pretend to wipe out taxes while maintaining a first world state.

Making a case for yourself not through actual policy or positions, but instead by using overblown statements on current controversies to get angry people on your side.

Trump is a pretty good example of this, with all his shifting in position to apply to as many people as possible.
He is still much better than all alternatives (excluding Ron Paul running as a 3rd candidate).

Name one time he actually switched positions that wasn't just the media intentionally misinterpreting what he said.

Abortion, tax plan, guns (from before the campaign), minimum wage, Muslim ban

Abortion. Self-funding his own campaign. I am sure I could find more if I looked around. Trump is a populist, that can't be denied by anyone with half a brain. It`s just that being populist isn`t as bad a thing as many (mainly leftist) media outlets make it sound like.

LMGTFY
pop·u·list
ˈpäpyələst/Submit
noun
a member or adherent of a political party seeking to represent the interests of ordinary people.

Was that really too hard for you to understand?

>What the fuck does "populist" mean?

A poitician who appeals to emotions of the mob, rather than rationally solving problems.

Examples of populism:
>Unrealistic promises
We'll cut your taxes by 50% and also increase govermnent spending
>Gifts to voters
Here, take this donut. Btw vote me
>Scapegoating
Of course we implement all the safety measures, its not our fault the building caught fire... eh..This witch is responsible!!!

btw if you dont know what it means you should start getting /lit/ and pick up some Hellenic philosophers. This board is already filled with Americans, with Trump-tier vocabulary, we dont need more of them.

Tldr: campaigning with a high focus of "us vs the elites"

FPBP
I don't understand what these leftists are always screaming about. Populism=vox populi

Note that only right wingers can be populist though: saying we need to close our border is populist, but promising free stuff isn't

what did the pic look like before the jews edited themselves out of it?

The definition in the dictionary is in no way relevant to the usage in the media.

It's the same as overrated is when describing entertainment media.

It's not meant to be derogatory by definition, at least, it never was in any of my history classes, and I'm not sure how all the foreigners in here got this impression. A "populist" candidate is one who represents the interests of the people over the interests of the state/elites. Populist candidates tend to have a habit of losing or, worse, being assassinated.

If someone is using "populist" as an insult, chances are that aristocracy is their ideal form of government.

So what happened with Ben? Did he follow the trail here, realize it was elaborate bantz and then get embroiled in Sup Forums ideology?

Populist = he who follow people's desires = Democrat

>History classes
Again, how is that relevant to how it is used in the media today?

It's a term that has no real political allignment, but is most often used to label a right-leaning party or ppolitican as 'apeasing the the masses', subtly implying that they just play into the dumb crowd. It is used as a neutral term but often implies something negative. Mostly by leftist even though they completely lack the insight that their own ideologies are ingherently populist. Since they prey on the influence of mass media, social media etc to influence people that don't really care too much about politics and therefor conform to whatever is trending on Facebook or whatever the most people say is the right thing. THAT is why the left is populist, as opposed to the right.

It means that a politician does what the people want (in a democracy, no less, how utterly disgusting) and/or goes against the prevailing ideology

He never said he would self-fund the general election.
He didn't switch position on abortion, the media twisted his words.

Get out of my country, traitor.

>shills using proxies

This.

God damn does this piss me off.

"He's just doing and saying what people want to hear."

Yeah that's why we're fucking voting for him. People who use populist as an insult should be taken into the streets and shot.

This pham.

Appealing to the most people is in theory what you're supposed to do to get voted in. That's how our system is defined, with that whole electoral college thing thrown in.

He was pro-choice for a long time, then switched to pro-life. How is that not changing positions?
And now he is backtracking on punishing women for abortions. I can look for the transcript, he said that, don`t try to talk yourself out of that.

He never said the he wouldn`t, either. And even if not self-funding it isn`t breaking his word, technically, it`s still against the spirit of what he implied, that he won`t take money from big donors and get himself in debt to them.

Get out of my country, retard.

stay in germany faggots.

Nice sour grapes faggot.

How is abortion even an issue in a presidential-level election? It's a non-issue. So is all the feminist shit.

Where do you live? I will come to you and behead your sorry ass.

>the media today
How is that fucking relevant to anything?
In case you didn't notice, we have a candidate who's winning specifically because none of our major news outlets fucking like him.

The definition of "populist" has not changed. The people in our media, and their attitudes towards the people in this country, have.

populist is everytthing that appeals to the populace, like the entire fucking election

anytime I read news that include the word populist, it's insta drop

>Hurr durr how can you dare answer the question
Stay gay faggot

>Ameritard faced with something he does not understand

When trying to understand how the word is used in the news (which was OPs question) it is all that matters. Sure, how the news uses that word is wrong, but knowing that does not help you with understanding how they use it.

this.

>wooow you only won the election because people think the things you suggest are good

It is my country, you lost the war, we won the war. So your opinion is irrelevant.

If you are anti-trump you're antisemite.
And antisemites like you shall and will be killed

a populist government is a government that only takes easy and weak but pro people mesures. For exemple in brazil we have 2 populist mesures. one that finances houses cheap for poor people and the other one gives free money for poor people. Will that in any ways solve brazils problem ? No. Will it make brazilians produce more? no. will it make those people vote for the same politicias? yes. thats a populist mesure.

I understand perfectly well, Hans. You have some deep-rooted ostalgie and it makes you incredibly butthurt to see a nationalist rouse the American populace as well as he has.

>109% increase in republican voter turnout compared to '08
>democrat voter turnout falling

Tomorrow belongs to me.

south america is filled with populist governments.

This is true. Only sad thing about it is right wing hates democracy.

it means the candidate who I don't like has a lot of democratic support

Trying to knock down extreme favela-tier poverty with cash transfers is pretty much in line with mainstream economics though

Where did I say that I am anti-Trump? He is still better than any alternative. You just should stop with your fanboyism, he isn`t as perfect as you make him out to be, and your butthurt when faced with that truth is rather astonishing.

I am perfectly fine with him doing well, just as I am going to be perfectly fine with him winning the presidency. Just because you view anyone who points out flaws in your new hero (which he, like anyone, has) does not mean that they are opposed to him.

The only truth is that Trump can do no wrong. And shills like you undermine the American hero for your antisemitic agenda.