Help me get wins off of a Mac drive using ubuntu 17.10. Will post all wins

Help me get wins off of a Mac drive using ubuntu 17.10. Will post all wins.

Known slut asks me to try to fix her MacBook pro. Cracked open the case and the logic board is fucked. Water damage. Corrosion everywhere. I removed the hard drive and have a sata to usb adapter. Can't get drive to show up in Ubuntu. I'm new to Linux and have no idea what the fuck to do.

Bump

USB adapters can prevent low-level access, so it'd be better if you hooked the drive directly to your MB with a regular sata cable.

All I've got is a laptop with Ubuntu 17.10 what can i do?

Like if I unplug my HDD and plug hers in and try to start it up what will happen?

Is the mac locked with a password?
how old is the mac?
what model?
need more info

alll epic wins!

sudo apt-get install hfsprogs

sudo mount -t hfsplus -o force,rw /dev/sd*drivename* /media/mntpoint

It's 2013 ish. The mac was pass protected but I know the password and user info. Model no. A1278

No luck with that. I've followed some stuff I found online but got no where. I've read something about it could be journalized but no idea what thay means

Hook up the drive and mount it. Search through all things.

WHAT TO DO IF MAC DOES NOT HAVE FIRMWARE PASSWORD LOCKED
THIS IS FOR USE WITH YOUR DEVICE ONLY
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS

>grab a USB
>8-16g preferably
>create live USB of ubuntu (any version really)
>plug into computer
>during start up, go into bios/uefi
>allow boot from cd/USB
>change boot order to ubuntu live USB
>boot from USB
>plug in another USB for files
>use gpart to transfer files from HDD to USB

this all assumes its not the newest mac books

You should still be able to read it even with journalling on, you just can't write to it.

wait so why can't you just transfer the files to a USB? I am not understanding your problem. Please elaborate.

I've got it plugged into my laptop with sata to usb. I did sudo apt-get updates then sudo apt-get install hfsprogs and used a few commands to try to mount it and remount and no luck.

Did you not read:

The drive does not show up at all. I can't get it to mount. So I can't look at any files on the drive being that I can not access it

Bump

dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sd

Dumb question, how do I know the drive letter?

Lurking. Good luck OP!

Thanks. I'm sadly not making any progress.