Underrated

Is this the most underrated Bowie album?
I love every song on it so much.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S4R8HTIgHUU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OH BABY JUST YOU SHUT YOUR MOUSE.

Lodger. No one hates it but it often gets forgotten or considered to be a mid-range Bowie album.

Never Let Me Down, Reality, and the Next Day all get a little more hate than they deserve.

SRV

>the next day
really? i don't recall seeing people hate on it that much

Imagine being such a fedora you unironically listen to Bowie and probably disregard modern pop music simultaneously

No. It was well received and it was his most popular album.

Buddha of Suburbia, Hours and Outside are his most underrated.

Good songs shit production is the general consensus

There are two good songs on never let me down, never let me down and loving the alien.

I have come to appreciate the next day more over time, i thought it was pretty generic fluff and only liked where are we now, but i have grown to like valentines day and the stars are out tonight, the music videos help. Bowie channels school shooter energy way better than any of these faggy meme rappers and he was in his late 60's

youtube.com/watch?v=S4R8HTIgHUU

Bowies worst album that is completely forgettable is hours.
The only bright moment for me is there was a short moment where a song sort of sounded like 90's r&b, and i thought, oh wow, that would have been interesting if he had made an album like that instead of this shit

Okay

Will never understand why 'Hours...' gets so much hate when songs on The Next Day and Blackstar like So She, Where Are We Now? The Informer and I Can't Give Everything Away sound like outtakes from it, and people love them. Go and listen to ICGAE, Where Are We Now? then Thursday's Child, they're very similar.

Lodger is a perfect ending to the Berlin era to be honest.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the first album Bowie worked on was The Idiot, and the first song on that album is Sister Midnight. The last album he made during this era was Lodger and the last song on Lodger is Red Money, and Red Money sounds just like Sister Midnight.
Also funny how The Idiot has an early recording of China Girl.

But Sup Forums hates it

You say it like Bowie was some kind of obscure and not very well known artist, even if OP is talking about Let's Dance, the album where he goes full pop

Red money is literally sister midnight with different lyrichs.
China Girl was, is and always will be a iggy pop song

It's not a very good album
Bad thread

Compared to what? Tonight, SMSC?

WE'RE THE KINDA PEOPLE WHO CAN SHAKE IT IF YOU'RE FEELING BLUE

No, most of the songs are forgettable and it has gross production
I love Lodger too.
>Never Let Me Down, Reality, and the Next Day
NLMD deserves all the hate it gets, but no one really hates TND, and Reality has some great songs people just makes fun of the album cover.
Hours suck. Outside is definitely his most underrated though being as it's one of his best albums form any decade
Because Hours has gross gaudy production and unmemorable melodies, something TND and Blackstar lack
There's more to bowie than today's pop music. I know you're epically cool because as Scaruffi says Bowie is vapid style over substance shallow shit music, but fuck off

>his most mainstream popular album is underrated

Please explain to me how it's underrated? Ziggy wasn't that popular at first, it didn't hit the charts in America until much later. Bowie's dance album was immediately successful with the plebs who though Ziggy was too weird for them.

Underrated BOWIE album not mainstream or chart

Nah, but 1.Outside is. Earthling too.

Earthling isn't one tenth as good as Outside

>ironic shitpost troll

But it's not an underrated Bowie album... How can his most popular album be underrated?

This is the most underrated. Barely ever gets mentioned, never gets any radio play anymore and us glossed over by most compilations with the Pet Shop Boys remix.

It's also one of his best albums.

I think it's also a result of being the third of the Berlin Trilogy. People talk about loving the trilogy, but the Lodger kind of gets dropped off a lot. In fairness, it is kind of an odd man out compared to the other two.

Yes it is. It is the perfect ending, it wraps up the themes nicely and is legitimately underrated.

Sister Midnight was actually a Station to Station era song and originally featured a line about "falling to Earth," for obvious reasons. It makes Red Money an even more beautiful closer. It takes us from Bowie's lowest point (In this context, anyhow), amidst drug psychosis, occult influence, and a growing disdain for his surroundings. Sister Midnight is a call for help. Iggy's version plays in, too, showing Bowie's influence over him, but also his own call for help and in his own style. It also reflects on the dark nature of their time, going in that direction with their work a bit, and represents a form of the ennui they had in a way much less cheery than Sound and Vision does.

Red Money wraps it all up nicely, because it does retain some of that more grinding, darker sound after a pretty upbeat album. It tells you, in sound and lyric, that yes, things have changed, things have gotten better, I'm doing better, but there's still work ahead. There's still problems. And while the Thin White Duke is dead, Bowie was still that man, and he'd still done that; it will always be with him, that will always be inside him.

>Loving the Alien
That's the opener from Tonight, man. Speaking of which, while Tonight had serious issues too, I think it catches a bit much flack and is lumped with Never Let Me Down too much, though understandably.

The Next Day was a great return and I really love it, but you feel its weak points, there is some generic stuff. But the generic stuff can be catchy sometimes, and the strong songs of the album are REALLY strong, at least to me. You can tell he thought about them a lot during his break.

Don't you dare put down Where Are We Now? like that. I Can't Give Everything Away gets a pass because, while there is that one part of the production I can pick out and recognize as Hours, that's the point. The song has elements of so much of his work layered on top of each other and a harmonica quite like A New Career In A New Town in the front; it's a collective "bye" song, it's easy to understand why people love it.

>Thursday's Child
To be fair, your choice of comparison is the song most people seem to believe is the salvageable work off of Hours.

Also, I've just realized something odd; there's so few worthwhile pictures of Bowie from around Hours. He's got tons from every other era, and tons of interviews around then, but I can't find many pictures. Odd.

Where Are We Now is a beautiful song.

>the Pet Shop Boys remix

I despise that fucking thing, heard it first and didn't really take to the song. Then I listened to it on the album and fell in love with it. Fucking Pet Shop Boys.