Paramedic in training ama Sup Forums

Paramedic in training ama Sup Forums

you arrive on scene to a 23 y/o male who was just struck in the chest by a baseball bat. you notice JVD and unequal chest rise and fall. GO

Needle decompression , wrap chest

Also, your an INTERMEDIATE in training dipshit.

As someone who wants to be a paramedic, whats the process like? How much schooling, where to start?

Depends on where you live. They are mostly going away with EMT-I nationally. They now want that stupid EMT-B, AEMT, EMT-P now. I know. I'm one of the few that are lucky enough to still have my Intermediate. I don't think most states realize how crucial the Intermediate level actually is.

So what, they are just going to jump from basic to Paramedic now?

do the whole assessment from the top dipshit. How do you know its a tension pnuemo without getting lung sounds or taking a BP?

Shockingly..... Yes. In my state. All you need is 1 year of Basic then you can get your Paramedic (of course, with training, state testing, NREMT, etc)

Get back in my car and discretely dispose of my baseball bat once i am out of sight of other people.

No intermediate trained in Indiana anymore

not op but i'm a paramedic in Chicago. you can get your emt at most community colleges and its roughly a 4 month program and for paramedic at least here you need to interview at hospitals for them to take you into their program and getting your paramedic takes about year and it builds off everything you learn in emt school

Op here. Ensure scene safety, all that jazz. Tracheal deviation is from tension pneumo, needle it. Get 15 lead to negative cardiac issues, splint rib fractures prn and go

Op here again, my basic took one semester at college, then I worked for a year, and now it's a 3 semester medic program. It's pretty great work if you're into it

Fuck you asswipe.
I'm not typing that whole shit out .
What the hell else could it be?

Do you need any kind of certification before entering an EMT program at a community college? I've heard you need your cpr certification and some other things

Heard the are just renaming it AEMT

Op again, had to cut it off into two, get vitals and everything else along with a trauma assessment

it could have been a cardiac tamponade and flail chest you fucking retard. way to kill your patient. I hope to fucking god you never work in my system. youre a paramedic learn to fucking think

Most emt classes will get you your cpr cert while doing classes. For me, hospital staff came and taught us all and certified us all thru red cross

Thanks guys, this sounds easy enough. Looks like I'm finally going to college now

not op. no theyll teach you there.you basically need a drivers license and thats about it

Definitely give EMTB a shot, that will show if you really wanna do medic or not

where you from. I can give you advice if youre in illinois but im useless just about anywhere else

I'm in Idaho sadly but I used to live in chicago as a wee lad

'Your' system? Thefuckoutahere with that you fucking worker bee.

Op are you enjoying it? Any doubts you made the right career choice?
Remember keep your superiors happy, don't let them have to do any paperwork and you'll go far.

currently in chicago trying to get out. but yeah since in chicago your 10 minutes away from any hospital are protocols are pretty meh but in idaho theyll teach you some cool shit.

go fuck yourself and read a fucking book and try to learn your fucking shit asshole

I love the work. My first real run was a code at a health campus, while sadly we did not save the patient, I know deep in my body that this is what I wanna do from that run. I was only at a basic during that call, but I wish to know as much as I can to do everything in my power to save lives

We're not doctors, no matter how much you want to believe we are
>99% transportation

This sadly. Transporting the weekly drug fiends and the people who fake seizures

Is this image bad

Sadly? Nigga, I ain't trying to break a sweat doing 'work.

That got a good laugh outta me. Gotta show that to the mates.

yeah but when you get a real call you need to know what you're doing. yesterday I had a cardiac arrest and a shooting. two nights before that i had 2 overdoses. sure thats 4 calls out of the 20 I had but still if you want people to take our job seriously you need to take it seriously

It gets boring as fuck when you do that for three months at a time tho. Then ur local school gets Sam Hyde'd

Fuck not him, Eric Harris. I'm too tired for this shit apparently

No matter how serious we take our, people won't.
>The sooner you learn that, the better

I know enough that I'm not going to let my patients die on me.

Yeah, me and my Galaxy S8 and my constant trolling for hoes for threesomes, fixing up my car, learning about my hobbies and working out all while getting paid really gets old......
>4yrs running. When I get bored Nap.

Awesome. You remind me of me. My very first job was 32yom, seizure. When we arrived he was still seizing. Been about 8 mins. Had a short postictal period then away he went again. I was trying to take it all in. But could tell from my partner things were more serious than I thought.
Transported him, seizing for over 25 mins now. Dropped him off and went to the next job. As we were leaving I saw his wife sitting in the corridor, she gave us a nervous but thankful smile. I didn't think anymore if it, just smiled back. was still in a rush of adrenaline.
When we brought in our next pt, asked about our earlier one. Found out he was stat 0. Sub arachnoid hemorrhage. Poor bastard. Felt real bad for his wife who had been sitting all worried outside the room. That moment made me realize how easily we can all go and his much I wanted to do this job.

Its a lot of crap but some fun moments. Some real bizarre shit too.

How many 24s have you had? I've been working with guys who have done the job for years and still haven't had one. Others who get 3 in a shift.

has nobody noticed the OP COULD be lying of him being a paramedic in training because the timestamp is digital (not the right term or whatever.) and not actually in physical form. just sayin not hatin.

Kek. Never even noticed. He talks the talk so I'm sure he's legit. Plus so what if he's larping? Worse things have happened

That's unfortunate, what happened to the man. You guys couldn't really catch it tho, did everything you could. Sounds like a great run nonetheless. I don't do many 24s, my station is kind and gives us 12s 90% of the time

I'm a cop and work with medics on a daily basis. If you plan to work in a real city get ready for the shitshow of your life. It's the best show on earth and no two days will ever be the same.

I don't live in a big city, but the work I've done has been a total shit show. I plan on working in a pretty high trauma city next year once I pass my NRP

OP here of the suspicious comment. thanks for a physical timestamp! hope you make it to become a real paramedic and get to be actually useful in society. (assuming you don't take 30 minutes to get to a location.)

Physical timestamps are a pain as power is out where I am. Honestly in where I am, basics get to do a large amount of things, so there are a lack of medics, and I'm trying to get there. In bumfuck nowhere town and a train cuts off the entire towns passage, sometimes it takes 20 minutes to get to the other side and it's awful

Do you need to have graduated high school to become one?

I seem to be doing 23s or 25s most of the time. That shits tiring.
Don't remember too much about that dudes situation. Was a few years back. Was an Asian guy just finished work in a restaurant. Got home, living in a house with about 8 others. He cracked open a beer when to the bathroom. About ten mins later they figured he hadn't come back out. That's when they saw him seizing. He was perfectly healthy apparently. No medical rx.

Dont wanna take over the thread but if you dont mind here's a text of my first ever arrest, was off duty
> working in comms while studying
> finish night shift, 0630 driving thru traffic
> sun rising, warm morning, cozy
> end of my set so have few days off, gonna get a few groceries on the way home
> drive alongside park, see a few people standing around
> somethings not right, look harder
> a woman is doing CPR, someone's on their phone pacing
> OK user, no equipment in the vehicle but youre in uniform time to man up
> pull over, race across 'ive got this!' -well not quite like that
> but everyone clears a path for me
> feel like Moses and the red sea
> start compressions
> pt is in his 40s, cardiac RX, 2 stents. This is his first time jogging since surgery only six weeks ago
> stupid fuck, who does that?
> wife and best friend say he just collapsed
> not looking good, hes grey, I'm thinking probably gonna be stat 0
> hear sirens, finally back up will be here shortly
> its muggy, I'm sweating like a pig
> couple units arrive, also police
> we take turns working on this guy
> my turn again, look up to see a young poo in loo staring at me like I'm a rock star
> about to changeover look at a cop and signal for him to jump in, his eyes say, fuck that not my job
> about 30 mins in get a stable rhythm
> pt transported
> with the show over everyone disperses
> I'm left standing there on my own, shows over
> fuck it's hot and i stink of ass
> drive to supermarket do my weekly shop
> cool my fav ice cream is half price
> go home sleep

I think it depends where you are. Some places I'm certain you have to but others might be fine you just jump straight into courses. Can others confirm?

Yes, cus basic is taught in colleges nowadays

That's so awesome dude. A lot of the medics who just work for the money and not the job wouldn't have done that, they would have left him to die. Thats great you got him back from the drain, especially not having any equipment in the beginning. But yeah, dumbass move on him running like that

You have to de-fib someone, you cut her shirt and her bra off....do you check out her titties?

No. Yes if I wanna lose my career and about 3 years f my lfe

Cheers dude. Honestly never occurred to me to keep driving. Was maybe only 3 mins before back up arrived and we shocked him. But hey, as we know every second counts.

How do you handle the shift? Nights? Do you have a partner? Still manage to keep a social life??

I've seen too many dyels in the class since I'm in a health program as well, don't understand how they're going to be able to pickup a whale onto the stretcher

I do day 12s, 0700 to 1900. Every shift is different honestly, handling them is a day to day thing, but i get by. I got a woman by my side and my brother is my best friend, and a few other good friends that keep me sane. Life is good man, every minute matters

You call for fire for lift assist and I have those hydraulic cots, just not the bariatric ones. If they're over 600 then honestly you figure it out on the spot

How do you deal with it when someone asks you if they're going to die. And in your heart you think they might just be right?

Basically you gotta tell them that you're gonna do everything in your power to prevent that. You don't wanna crush their morale but you can't give them false hope and assurance

How many prolapsed anus emergencies have you attended?

How much of the good stuff have you stolen?

i quickly suck his dick when no one watches...

None of those, but I've seen a ding dong try the pain Olympics with a mason jar

None, that shit is more addictive than coke. Plus every vial of our meds are recorded and monitored, one goes missing it's a bad time

Good home support. That makes a huge difference. Can you/ do you talk to your girl about work? My wife can't handle it, it freaks her out.
Im not bothered i can handle most stuff, bizarrely though worst type of jobs to attend IMO is small boys with penis trauma. Fuck I hate them. Dicks caught in zippers and shit.

They way they cry, they're terrified and embarrassed. I really struggled. Am totally fine with hangings or gsw but little boys crying in pain and terror. Just can't do it man. Had one 4yo slip getting out of the bath, he was holding a tonka truck and felt onto it. His dick got caught in it and I swear to God. I've never seen anything so bad.

Ever had any?

Ever got a blowjob in the back of the van?

Have you done any rapid Sequence intubations yet?

holoy shit a doctor. please i need help with my acne ive tried all moistures and cleansing products but they dont do anything please any advice

Yeah, we talk about our work all the time, while avoiding the hippa shit. The worse thing for me is pediatric and neonatal codes, and I've worked two of them, sadly in both cases the parents didn't call in time. Its terrible knowing the breath of life was taken from a beung of pure innocence. I can't imagine how bad penis trauma would be, it sounds pretty rough and honestly there isn't a huge amount we can do besides support

I'm a medic, not a dermatologist. But I'd take the back end of a blade and scrape all that shit off and clean it up.

Only once. Dude didn't seem too happy, he was drunk and has massive burns on his neck. Had to rsi him before his trachea closed up on us. He was pretty pissed til we gave him the ketamine

No

Well done! I've heard from my paramedic mate that doing your first rsi is a rite of passage

I was told that your first code that you lead is your rite of passage. But the rsi was exhilarating to do!

Well, it's my day off and it's late as fuck, it was great talking to ya Sup Forums. Have a good one and I'll see you on the streets

Thx user. Come back sometime a little earlier in the evening so we can really make something of it

Much many less deaths do you think you'd see if your countries entire population switched to vegetarianism?

Jesus christ I butchered that. Vodka is vegan.

Is it safe to drink your own piss?

i have 4 hot wheel cars stuck in my ass when you show up. what do?

how much yall niggas make?0

Take notice everyone. This is the sound of someone who fucks up and gets sued.

yeah.
fucking hell, that looks painful! You should take a load of drugs, get drunk and then get someone who's willing- to scraaaaape all that shit off, then sterilise well and lightly bandage. Change bandages and clean very regularly and let lots of air get to your face.

Are you allowed to pop joints back in place?

I dislocated my knee and asked the paramedic to pop it back in. They refused. Needed the help of my friends to pick me up, and actually made my knee a lot worse as they forced me to sit with my knees bent before the straightened me out.

They only suggested I went to the hospital to get xrays. They didnt do any of that. Doctor popped it in, gave me a cast and crutches and sent me off.

> being is this gullible

How many have you killed so far?
If none do you plan to