Will be 36 in ~2 months, first went on Sup Forums when I was 28...

Will be 36 in ~2 months, first went on Sup Forums when I was 28. After a considerate amount of time I spent off Sup Forums (3-4 years in which I was quite productive, albeit I made the wrong choices), I now return just some more depressed, sad, pathetic, and desperate. To be honest, I feel like life wasn't fair with me after all.

Show me your love.

bump

Mid twenties here. It's in our nature to be unsatisfied with our lives. That's what keeps us going.

Much love, no homo

Thank you.

>taking advice from a kid in his mid twenties
might as well ask my 3 years old nephew

His advice isn't so bad, though

sounds like some random cheesy quote his aunt posted on facebook

Good point. But why not give OP some wise old words about how to cope with life and misfortune?
I've put in more than enough effort into improving my life but some things I can't change, such as not curable illnesses, bad genetics etc. In other words luck, which I have none of. I'm not seeing myself being around at 30 so maybe give me some tips too how to live my life to the fullest.

Much love to you too

kek

Oh also I don't have facebook, ye normie.

I've had my fair share of problems, but quite recently, whenever I feel on the verge of being depressed, I try to put a positive spin to it by thinking that things could be much worse.
I try to think of every positive thing in my life (health, job, etc) and then confront it to much darker situations (poverty, war, heavy illnesses) just to convince myself I fare pretty well.
Kinda works for me overall, even though sometimes I think things could be better.
Keep your chin up, OP.

thanks man. i try to appreciate what i have, but as time goes by it's getting harder to imagine something other than desparate, lonely, defeated life, and God i hope im wrong.

What's your status?
Work?
GF?
Hobbies?

i work, no gf, i just like to bum around... and code

What kind of job?
Living alone/parents?

some more backround - i studied genetics, recently dropped off from a phd program to work as a bioinformatician at a startup compney

What would you like the most in your life?

what would i like... getting married, having creative freedom, be financially secured, keep studying maybe even try to earn a phd again

Does your actual job offers you creative freedom?
If not, can you start something small on your free time?

very little when it comes to what, fairly sufficient when it comes to how, which is what expertise in the business world requires... i believe im having hard time to accept that i may have made a serious mistake quitting my phd

also my direct manager is about 6 years younger than me, and its frustrating as fuck

Is it possible for you to resume your phd? Financially I mean? US citizen?

He's younger? So what? I'm 40 and my manager was 23 when I started working there, people were jealous of him, but I discovered he was a cool dude with a nice attitude and a good work ethic.
Fast-forward five years and I work in a similar field as his and we get along pretty well.
Be the change you want to see in the world, OP

...also, baby steps. Take one thing at a time and try to improve it. Maybe start by setting a savings account and put some monthly amount there (even a small one)
Then try to improve your daily life by organizing yous stuff.
It starts with the little things.

Psst.. hey bucko

make your bed

not an american, i can resume research - at the price of having to downgrade my living style a little, not an issue. but then ill need to face criticism from my parents, and see them getting older still worried about my future might not be that fun.

thanks buddy
i really have not problem with the age difference but he's an overachiever and i feel guilt and shame, when i recognize the difference between us, superficial as it may be.

And thank heavens for the grass
It can relieve some of the pain
While at times intesify it

Fucking do it then, OP. Your parents are worried, and that's pretty normal. But at the same time you're a fucking bioinformatician; I din't think you'll have any problem finding a job after finishing your Phd.
Deep down you want to do this, so just go for it. It'll be difficult at first, but since it's your wish, you'll put your whole mind to it.
And then, who knows? Maybe you'll meet the love of your life when you least expect it; be it while resuming your Phd or in your new career.
Everything happens for a reason, i can attest for it.
I'm divorced and at one point was almost homeless, now I'm in a happy relationship, I have an ok-ish job where I'm pretty well appreciated by my peers and I plan on buying a small house.
I had to leave some dreams behind, but the sacrifices I'm making are lessons I've learned and made me grow as a person.

We don't know each other, but if life taught me anything, is that noone is really that confident.
That young overachiever colleague of yours? He probably has major character flaws too.
Maybe he feels inadequate, maybe his parents despise him. Maybehe's an overachiever because he suffers from the impostor syndrome.
Whatever it is, try to focus on yourself and realize that everyone tries to figure shit out, the same as you.