I've been feeling suicidal lately (not cry for help bullshit...

I've been feeling suicidal lately (not cry for help bullshit, but REALLY suicidal) and I think I should go to the emergency room.

What will happen if I go to the emergency room and tell them that I'm suicidal? Will they lock me up? What will they do?

Pic unrelated.

well emergency room isn't necessarily the best place to go, but the hospital would know the closest psych ward where they can put you up for a few days until your suicidal thoughts have come down

How old are you? Depending on age they will put you in a hospital with other suicidal patients and rehabilitate you, send you back on your way within a week. If you're 18+ idk

The police come get you

Message me on Snapchat OP, maybe you just need a friend Angelina is my snap

I'm 32, and am still trapped at home. I'm basically waiting for my parents to die so I can have their house. My birthday was last week... I woke up to a candle in a pop-tart and a card with nothing in it but a lecture about "finding my way" filled with horrible cliches like "you can do it!". They have stopped giving me money entirely, and they cook steak dinners in front of me, and when they catch me looking they point to the cabinet filled with ramen (the only thing I'm allowed to eat). They don't believe in mental illness, and they try to make everything bad that happens to me my fault. Sometimes I hope they choke on that fucking steak. Do you think you have it worse than me?

I'm 35, combat vet with PTSD.

it should be same for 18+ user.

Not sure what its like in US. But in UK, they usually undertake a mental health assessment and risk assessment. Most get referred to a local mental health team and get assigned a community psychiatric nurse. If you are a danger to yourself at current time then there is a chance you could be admitted to a psychiatric ward under the mental health act. This isn't always the case thought.

As I said before - Not sure what procedure is like in the USA.

I'm guessing the VA isn't helping you much.

get a job you fucking slob... for fucks sake, you could at lest live in a fuckin' van.

It goes on your record forever. You can also try calling the suicide hotline and they can get you additional help, somewhat anonymously

It's against the law to try and kill your self but they can help you that's why the police come get you

No, they really haven't. I don't live near a VA hospital, but we DO have a clinic.

It's LITERALLY months to get an appointment.

I've done it, so let me give you some actual advice. When you go, you will do a lot of sitting around and waiting, but you WILL speak with a handful of people. Depending on how you present yourself, they may or may not recommend you into a voluntary in-patient program. Unless you truly do something bonkers, you have basically no chance of being put anywhere against your will. Because you will have made official contact with the medical system, you will likely begin to have access to some resources you don't know about now, which will likely help you. Please go, and good luck.

what state?

i don't want you to kill yourself OP but the hospital will basically hold you hostage and it will be a nightmare. don't kill yourself but maybe stay with family or friends for a while. i've been through this and the hospital honestly made everything worse. wish u the best

Hesrightyouknow.gif
I had to check my gf in when i walked in on her wrists open and gushing. Er will just make you wait because physical out weighs mental emergencies .

What's with all these suicidal people here? You think you got it bad? Try living in Syria. People here are so damn sensitive that they want to kill themselves for little shit. Whatever shit you're going through, just tough it out and things will get better.

Yeah, well fuck off back to Syria then, bitch

Alabama

Look on the bright side

We all die someday and we can't stop it

Haha fuck me up
op just go to the ward for 2 weeks get on the stabilizers and fold clothes for a xmas part time job

have you ever considered seeking any kind of counseling for your troublesome feelings?

They probably tried many things to get you to get your shit under control before and got tired of seeing your lazy ass fuck things up. I've been the lazy ass in this setting up and believe me, things can look up if you get up your ass and work on it.

Exercise to keep your head leveled and get healthy tiredness.

Get a job.

Once you have enough money and if you don't have anything you like in this place get a visa and move to another country, live in hostels until you find a decent place.

The only way to appreciate what you have is to work for it. Inheriting your parents house wouldn't help you and if they haven't thrown you out you should be grateful to them not bitter.

Don't be a bitch, don't blame the world for your own shortcomings, work on them. Good luck.

You are missing the point.

I am 38 with similar problems (OEF 07-08) Paktika Border area... I got help so how can I help you get help?

I've tried going to the VA, but they're worthless. I'm thinking about going to the ER tonight.

I just wanted to know what to expect once I get there.

dont sleep for for like 24 to 36 hours, go to ER and start rambling on about crazy shit. start to get a little loud. Mandatory 72 hour psychiatric hold. Youll be with other suicidal people, crazies, and drug addicts. test the waters?

give me the run down.
do you have a plan to kill your self?
where and when did you serve?
give me something that you feel you are living for today.
and anything else you want to tell me.

Depending on where you are they might take you to an Extended Observation Unit (EOU) There they will do assessments and see what records you have for this problem (are you prescribed any medications for this that you aren't taking etc...) They will hold you there for about 24 hours while they connect you to resources you may need including the VA (who while they may have dropped the ball this time with this red hot poker up their ass will not drop it again) Then you may be released on your own recognizance or refered to in patient treatment.

it really sucks shit how the VA is. it's a fucking travesty. i keep seeing examples of their incompetence every week in the news. as a civillian i feel really guilty for how little our nation cares.

i think what a lot of other anons have said is kind of on the ball, but i don't have personal experience. you'll probably wait a long time to be helped, but they'll eventually get you taken to some kind of psych ward. it would be more efficient to go to the psych ward directly. but as you probably know, this is only a solution for your immediate problem.

i have no idea what resources are available to you. please keep looking for some kind of counseling, even if you have to venture outside of the VA to find it.

almost on par with the nhs

Yo, its not my place, and how much a stranger on a boards word weighs, I dont know. But, what happened wasnt your fault. All that shit only you know about that happened, that will stay with you. Dont try push it away, hide it, suppress it, pretend like it didnt happen, because it did happen.

I know its only words, but, what you saw, did, you gotta acknowledge it, take ownership of that fucked up bullshit. Not because its your fault, but because you owe it to you & the folks you love to grab that evil demon by the horns and facefuck it into oblivion.

The demons under your (& my) bed dont go quietly. They won't slip away on a easy night, they'll fight, just like you would. Because, spoiler, they're you.

By killing yourself, the enemy wins.

(fyi British Royal Marine Vet, served Afgan & Iraq)

Walk into the ER. Cut your dick off in front of everyone. Then eat your dick. They'll do the rest.

>grab that evil demon by the horns and facefuck it into oblivion.
The day Sup Forums cured PTSD