Italian and Spanish anons help me out

I am half italian. (Half american since colonial days my dad is from north carolina)

When i recently went to italy and met extended family for the first time they had told me that they extensively searched our familys history to see how far back they could trace it. And they traced it all the way back to hundreds of years ago and found out that many of our ancestors had come from Spain.

However I can not seem to find any period in time when Spaniards were migrating to what is modern day italy. Can any spanish / italian anons or euros in general tell me if they know why these people may have made their way from spain to italy.

I also hope this is the right board to post this. Seems approproate. I mostly just post on /fit/ so this is uncharted waters to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VqVd5TPpNos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_(honorific)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

m8, half of italy was spanish for a while

tell me your region, you're from the south for sure, maybe sardinian

Marche is where they are from. Southern marche though. Near abruzzo border

Please do tell me all you know of spanish migration to italy. Will be greatly appreciated. Also this may be irrelevent but if you want to know some of my traits, i look like David De Gea but not as tall

They might just have immigrated on their own. My family was Transylvanian and went to Naples some 600 years ago.
Then went back 300 years ago. Lol

Spanish crown ruled many ancient Italian states (all southern Italy plus Sardinia, Milan and Lombardy, parts of Tuscany) from 1599 to 1713. In the same period states such as Papal Kindgom (including Marche), Genoa and other parts of Tuscany were indirectly controlled by Spain. Therefore it is not surprising if many Spanish people moved to Italy at that time then settled. Surnames with Spanish origin like Lopez, Martinez, Solinas, Soviero (Xavier) or Spagnolo (Spanish) are not uncommon in modern Italy.

Thank you. This has been very informative

Forza azzurri forza Vettel!

My last name is Andrighetti, whats my story?

cute :3

dijits

your family may come from Veneto (Treviso, Montebelluna or Fonzaso) and they probably have been poor

>mfw my greatgreatgrandparent was born 2 years after italian unification in Emilia Romagna, Carpi (1862)
>mfw able to recognize italian citizenship barely due to it
thanks my greatgreatgreatgrandparents

My last name is malaponti, I imagine it comes from greek

yes, μάλαπόντος = big sea
but you may also come from Magna Graecia (southern Italy colonized by Greeks). Malaponti is common in the Catania and Enna provinces

youtube.com/watch?v=VqVd5TPpNos

my dads people are from messina so that makes sense

i wish Spaniards were this helpful with heritage stuff if i ever posted in /ibe/ about my surname they will either ignore me or call me sudaca and insult

Tell me about your wea de surname, sudaca weon

desu, most new world surnames don't exactly correlate with heritage. Indians took the last name of their "encomendero" for example and a lot of criminals/deserters and such took what name they liked during the independence wars.

Is it true Spaniards and Italians secretly love each other?

He could be from the North.Milan was also part of Spain once

What's Navarro about

my surname is Garcia kek

>they traced it all the way back to hundreds of years ago and found out that many of our ancestors had come from Spain.
>However I can not seem to find any period in time when Spaniards were migrating to what is modern day italy.

Maybe because as you said it was hundred of years ago.
Lots of spaniards between the 16th and 18th century went to Italy to fight there and later to other places like the Netherlands or Germany. I just suppose some stayed in Italy. And even after that the kingdom of the Two Sicilies was strongly linked to Spain.

Quintero mother side, i know her grandfather was basque, can't remember the last name
father is English so nvm that

>secretly
We're besties

Congratulations, that area has one of the absolute shittiest accents in italy lmao

It's a secret like you love hamburgers.

Spain BLACKED Italy
Interesting

we arent surname or heritage pros like americants. a google search would proll be more useful
Sanchez = son of Sancho
Martinez = son of Martín
"El Apellido Quintero procede del descubrimiento de America, a los descubridores en vez de pagarles con dinero le pagaban con porciones de tierras llamadas quintas y a los poseedores de esas tierras se les llamaba Quintero"

>there was never a mass migration of X people to Y country, so how come a single individual from X could ever move moved to Y country?!?!?
Imagine being as dumb as OP

Explain why foreigners want it?
And we get anything in return?

we mostly have a good relationship except when football is involved

Spain and Spanish usage is where the nobiliary form of address "Don" comes from, later notoriously adopted by the mafiosi, Don Vito and so on.

My 2c.

Don't think so.

>Don (femminile Donna) è un termine comunemente utilizzato, a partire dalla metà del Duecento, come prefisso al nome, per indicare nobili del patriziato milanese e napoletano, principi, duchi, marchesi di baldacchino, nobili sardi, ecclesiastici e religiosi. Don è l'abbreviazione della parola donno in uso ancora ai tempi di Dante ma non più conservata, la quale deriva dalla parola latina dominus, che significa signore, padrone.

the first king of Asturias was "Don Pelayo"
it actually comes from latin "Dominus" (owner / lord)

yes, via Spanish as I recall.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_(honorific)

Don't forget the Aragonese crown's expansion through the 13/14th centuries. In fact there is a town in Sardinia where catalan is spoken. Tfw Italy will end up being more catalan than Spain.

they're both north Libya...

L'alguer is a meme though, only a few old guys speak it

Y qué pasa con los quintero que hay en la península?

no se, yo no me voy a rallar en google mas

El apellido Quintero es gallego. Existía antes del Descubrimiento.