/jazz/

Prove you're not a pleb and review the last jazz album you listened to.

Doesn't matter how long or short the review, just put forth a concrete opinion and explain it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-6R4kCQk6XA?t=3137
youtube.com/watch?v=EFeouD2IWSA
youtu.be/2Ss64zksRBY
youtu.be/9n3g2xhJqx8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I listened to recordings of Gus Arnheim's orchestra.
It had a nice beat.

Are there any other artists that sounds like Hiromi and Tigran Hamasyan? I really love the kind of fusion that basically sounds like a prog rock band if you replaced the guitar with a piano

esbjorn svensson trio maybe

Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - Cheek To Cheek

yassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

John Abercrombie - Current Events

Guitar-synth stuff didn't grab me. Conventional trio stuff was much better, though maybe too conventional.

Esbjörn Svensson Trio is about as far from those two artists as it gets

youtu.be/-6R4kCQk6XA?t=3137
youtube.com/watch?v=EFeouD2IWSA

ok

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet in SF. Sax and cornet stepping up the other instruments even when everyone is playing great. Remind me of latin jazz.

>jazz
>not a pleb

Jazz fucking sucks. If you listen to jazz than fuck you.

>that guy who feels superior because he listens to "art" music but can't even READ the music let alone analyze it, play it, or come close to appreciating and understanding what makes it great

last jazz album i listened to (that i havent heard before).
It was pretty good. tune list is fantastic, everyone sounds really good. its kinda weird to hear coltrane kinda thang on ECM though.

>forgets picture

Blues and Roots

By far my favorite Mingus record. Moanin' is probably in my top 3 favorite tunes ever.
The album is superb from start to finish. Feels extremely earthy and soaked in sweat. The melodies are amazing and the compositions are interesting and engaging, not to mention the solos kick ass.

With that being said, I've been a bit board with Jazz lately. I just tend to really appreciate more compositionally minded artists like Mingus, Duke, Monk, Horace Silver, and to a lesser extent Coltrane and Herbie. I also tend to like either very abrasive or very mellow music. Not necessarily free jazz abrasive, but something like modal Coltrane compared to something mellow like Undercurrent. Anyone got some suggestions to help reinvigorate my interest in the music? Doesn't matter what album, new or old, obscure or well known. I might not have heard it before or maybe if I give an old album another listen I'll hear it in a new light.

Thanks in advance fellas

>you need to know music theory or play an instrument to appreciate or even listen to jazz

is this low iq statement true?

>Kamasi Washington - The Epic
was epic indeed

>the incredible jazz guitar of wes montgomery

it's good

thanks man, looks interesting, i will give it a listen

Dave Brubeck - Jazz Impressions of Japan

Solid, classic, album. Good Brubeck

>With that being said, I've been a bit board with Jazz lately. I just tend to really appreciate more compositionally minded artists
Check out some more modern jazz!

Pic related is a good one that just came out with some nice compositions and a medium amount of abrasiveness.

Some other good composition-focused modern artists are
Henry Threadgill
Alex Sipiagin
Steve Coleman
Yosvany Terry
David Binney
John Escreet

so you're saying it was
incredible?

It's not true but it's based somewhat vaguely on truth.

Just "knowing theory" or "playing an instrument" probably won't change much about how you listen to jazz.

Experience playing jazz (and in the process learning theory and how to play an instrument) will definitely change the way you listen to jazz though. And it's a journey rather than a destination. Someone who's learned a couple tunes and played in a low-pressure jam session once or twice will probably have quite a bit more insight when listening than someone who's never touched an instrument. Meanwhile someone who's been playing jazz professionally for 40 years will have quite a bit more insight than that guy who's just played at a couple jam sessions.

It's possible to get that same level of insight without playing an instrument- after all, there have been some great jazz critics who never played an instrument (at least publically)- but it's fairly rare and inefficient. It would take years of really close listening to understand as much about the music as you could learn by just playing with other jazz musicians a little.

I'm sure this comes off as "pretentious" to more than a few people on Sup Forums but its all true.

But can you still enjoy jazz if you don't have any of these things that you mentioned?

Of course. I'm not even saying that you'll "enjoy" it less or anything. You might just have trouble picking up on the more subtle details of the music, especially without repeated listening.

Thanks, didn't expect to get such a well thought out response

bump

The Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame

Are there any other albums like Shige Sekito's - Special Sound Series Volume II?

Identify this song

youtu.be/2Ss64zksRBY

bump

best jazz album covers?

What's one of the best contemporary jazz albums from the 80s?

Esbjörn Svensson's definitely got plenty of work with his trip which is really similar to Tigran, especially to heavier and more rhythmic style of his newer stuff like the stuff on Mockroot. I don't think you were listening to the right albums.

Another artist worth listening to for a similar approach is Phronesis, and some of the other groups coming out of Edition Records.

I think modern jazz has an inverse relationship of musical quality to artwork quality. Pretty much all the good modern jazz I've ever heard has pretty basic album art except for some ECM things.

But all the modern jazz I've ever heard that has trendy indie looking cover art is almost always garbage

>all the modern jazz I've ever heard [...] is almost always garbage.

I get the feeling you don't listen to much, then?

I get the feeling that you are an illiterate boob who doesn't even know how to use a comma.

BTW you're more than welcome to post some albums that prove my hypothesis wrong since apparently you're such a big shot when it comes to modern jazz.

>review the last jazz album
>album
>not reviewing 78rpm singles and live bootlegs
You're a bigger pleb than anyone else in this thread, you rockist poser.

>Someone disagrees with me
>Quick, better call him names attack his grammar.

You sure showed me!

t. triggered albumfag

you're more than welcome to post some albums that prove my hypothesis wrong since apparently you're such a big shot when it comes to modern jazz.

lol just post your review kid

Give me some Jazz albums from the 80s that incorporate electronic music.

What incentive would I possibly have to do that?
I've no indications about your taste, and what things you might enjoy if I were to point you to them other than that you basically discount the genre as a whole, and I've no reason to want to help spoonfeed you, since you've been nothing but a tit.

If you want people to help introduce you to new artists and styles, maybe starting with rudeness and dismissal isn't the best way to go about it.

"This bird knows what he's doing"
If you need more than that you're a tourist, a dilettante and a pseud

lol what are you even talking about?

see

What is everyone listening to right now?

youtu.be/9n3g2xhJqx8