Everyone seems to agree this is the peak of rock music

Everyone seems to agree this is the peak of rock music.
What is the peak of every other genre though?
Classical?
Jazz?
Hip-hop?
Electronic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7bqB59Ae3ts
youtube.com/watch?v=wpEF6W4BU28
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/search/text/visceral/
youtube.com/watch?v=-VZi0r3Ic-A
youtube.com/watch?v=OFXMGtCI5qs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>classical
igor stravinsky - rites of spring
>jazz
ryo fukui - scenery

>hip hop
TPAB All blacks are innocent edition

>Electronic?
whatever aphex twin album since hes the only artist to ever make electronic music

oh yeah for metal its
deafheaven - sunbather

in what fucking world do people agree on anything

The peak of Jazz in my opinion is this.

>Everyone seems to agree this is the peak of rock music.
How can you even pretend there's a method for confirming this? You could've started this thread with a less ridiculous bait.
>What is the peak of every other genre though?
Again, how can you even pretend there's a method for discerning this?

Get out.

>classical
Chopin - Fugue in A minor, posth
>the rest
who fucking cares

I know music is subjective, but every aggregator website and the world's largest musical contrarian, Scaruffi, all agree on the record's merit. It's within the top two most influential albums in popular music history.

>Brings some common sense into discussion
>Get out.
You've surely convinced me to take you seriously now.

>but every aggregator website
Provide a source or stop being so ridiculous.

Acclaimed Music, Best Ever Albums, Rate Your Music, Scaruffi.
There is no objectivity to music but it is still nice to have guides.
I don't know, maybe it's just me that thinks there's something more profound about Loveless than Starboy.

what album is this tho

Banana by Andy Warhol?

Andy Warhol by The Peel Slowly and Sees

But that's not The Stooges - Fun House

very few people think that it's the peak of rock music, it's legendary status is more about it's influence and innovation in the rock genre. by that standard, the first caveman to hit rocks together was the peak of rock music, and every other genre of music for that matter

Literally, none of those websites rank it as number 1 rock album

>Lou Reed doing a gay voice
>best rock album ever
More like good alt country album with a three (3) bangers.

I really really hope this is bait

Oh wait I'm retarded.

cLOUDDEAD is the peak of hip hop.

>hip hop
madvillainy

>jazz
a love supreme

>electronic
probably richard d james or discovery

not necessarily my opinion, but these are most definitely the most widely praised albums of the genres

>classical
Symphony No.9, Beethoven

>jazz
A Love Supreme

>Deafheaven - Sunbather

Not even the best blackgaze album nor the best metal album of the 2010's

god people like you are insufferable. not people who like those albums but people who feel the need to signal that they're "with it" since they shit on all the albums that are somewhat popular here. nothing about your post is subtle or remotely funny. i would love to beat the shit out of a smarmy little shit like you.

fucking this

This but for OP

i love those albums. what are you talking about?

Hip hop is electronic

"""Objectively"""" speaking (as in, what the vast majority of critics seem to agree on), the answers would probably be:

Classical:
Beethoven's Symphony No. 9
Jazz:
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Hip Hop:
Nas - Illmatic
Electronic:
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Can't comment on your other two, but A Love Supreme is only "the most widely praised" jazz album if you get all your jazz info from a very limited set of sources

unadulterated autism

with spoken word in shitty way

>Metal
Paranoid
>Hip Hop
Illmatic
>Electronic
Select Ambiant Worls 85-92

>rock
Radiohead - OK Computer

Lots of bleep genres have real vocals too.

Metal is rock.

White Light/ White Heat is infinitely better and more important than Banana Album

>Jazz
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come

let's be real--no matter how popular it is, it is the best jazz album of all time.

>classical
Liszt's Transcendental Etudes imo
>jazz
Blue Train
>Hip-Hop
cLOUDDEAD
>Electronic
r+7 or stratosfear

Fuck no, TVU is pretentious garbage that like many other retarded attempts at "art rock", eschews the energy of rock music in an attempt to make sophisticated music that doesn't come close to matching actually sophisticated music. But TVU&N is even worse because unlike the other attempts like Beatles or Radiohead that at least try to do more complex progressions and whatnot, TVU&N actually is simpler than basic rock with their boring repetitive garbage. Fuck that album, and fuck it's fans. It birthed the cancer of indiefags who were pretentious enough to believe that their favorite music is so much more superior to other music when it offers neither the visceral energy nor the cerebral sophistication of truly great music.

The TRUE peaks!

>Rock
Nirvana - Nevermind
>Western Art Music
Stravinsky's Le Sacre Du Printemps
>Jazz
Miles Davis - Miles Smiles
>Metal
Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
>Folk
Comus - First Utterance
>Hip Hop
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
Or
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions
>Electronic
Stockhausen's Kontakte
>RnB
Janelle Monae - The Archandroid
>Punk
Ceremony - Ruined EP

>Radiohead better than VU bc """muh complexity"""
You're the same pretentious contrarian user who was ranting about Velvet Underground days ago, as well as Pavement. Just my opinion but I recommend you find a better hobby than trying to convince people to hate one of the best rock bands of all time. Oh noo, a rock album that uses repetition and simplicity, what the fuck is happening, it needs to be needlessly complex or else it's worthless garbage.

>birthed indiefags who were pretentious enough to believe that their favorite music is so much more superior to other music
This is *literally* you, this is unironically the most hardcore projection I've yet witnessed on this board. You're so pretentious you think your music is so much more superior to indiefag music when it offers neither the visceral energy nor cerebral sophistication nor emotional depth of truly great music like Pavement or Velvet Underground. Go back to jacking off to GYBE

Well, it's not like anyone's told me what makes TVU such an engaging listen till then. Still stands that they are trash.

That's not me. Unlike pretentious indiefags I describe the music itself to make my points rather than the sheer ignorance indie gags like you often make even about that very music you like.

you just have no rock n roll in your soul, kiddo. It's not something anyone can tell or teach you. You just lack the ability to understand it, so you get frustrated and lash out at the band and any of their fans. You got a lot of anger in you kid, it hurts me to see it and it hurts to say it, but you truly do. Hope you find a productive outlet for it all someday

That is you

>you just have no rock n roll in your soul, kiddo.
No, I actually do. There was none in TVU's soul considering how much they eschewed rock n roll's techniques/style (the energy, the atmosphere, the scales/note choices, the delivery style, etc.) TVU is no rhythm garbage. This is quite possibly the dumbest thing to claim considering TVU is often considered overrated because of this very reason. The antithesis of rock n roll that people liked because they were always too pussy for real rock n roll.

>No, you actually don't. VU had more soul in their dicktips and clit than you have in your whole body. They didn't eschew rock you numpty, they just experimented with it, embraced its energy and ethos (pic related), expanded rock's vocabulary, and inspired nearly every great band that came after. Most of your favorite bands probably love VU, but you don't get it so you get mad instead. VU is only considered overrated by pretentious contrarians, get with it.

>embraced its energy
False, TVU has a far less visceral sound, and they sure didn't embrace its ethos considering they messed with stuff Cale learned from his academic buddies.
>expanded rock's vocabulary
Yeah, I guess I'll give them that to an extent, but even then their successors explored/optimized those sounds much better. Not to mention most of it, again as I have said, is shit for rock music as it's some shit pretentious attempt at trying to add atmosphere/sophistication to rock that the genre wasn't built for. They were too stupid to join their academic peers in the area so they went for this watering down concept.
>and inspired nearly every great band that came after
Only the bands that come into the alt/indie/post-punk umbrella. Nobody else gives a shit about them.
>Most of your favorite bands probably love VU
Not really, I don't listen to those above genres all that much outside like Swans and some post-rock/post-punk a lot of which is more jazz/classical/experimental electronic inspired than it is TVU inspired.
>VU is only considered overrated by pretentious contrarians, get with it.
Not at all, they are considered overrated by anyone who's not part of the internet muh rock music circlejerk. In fact, contrarians are the ones that first started giving them GOAT status rather than the usual Beatles because of pretentious said contrarians were when Beatles have objectively influenced far more areas of music.

>calling someone kid
>repeat many times
>hurrr durrr you don't get it !!!!!
jesus such lame lines to read

>visceral sound
pretension
>Cale
nothing wrong with mixing smarts with rock, they experimented with everything
>watering down
You just don't get it bud, nothing wrong with that.
>alt/indie-/post-punk
that's already a shitload of bands, but not even all the genres.

doesn't matter how many Ed Sheerans the Beatles influenced, doesn't automatically make them "better". You always bring up Radiohead and The Beatles, like a broken record. Just face up that you don't get VU and let all this pretentious contrarian anger go

stop famesagging kid

>pretension
Nothing pretentious about music having a hard hitting yet energetic feel. That's what genres like rock n roll, punk, metal, hard rock, etc. were all about.
>nothing wrong with mixing smarts with rock, they experimented with everything
Maybe so if they did something musically interesting. But nope, instead it was a watered down take on the ideas the real big players were doing in NY at the time.
>You just don't get it bud, nothing wrong with that.
>Nothing wrong with making music shittier for the masses
Lmao
>that's already a shitload of bands, but not even all the genres.
That's why I said their umbrella, you fucktard. TVU's influence doesn't go beyond that.

>doesn't matter how many Ed Sheerans the Beatles influenced
>thinks The beatles' influence doesn't go beyond western mainstream radio pop
HAHAHAHAHAH imagine being this fucking ignorant then pretending to discuss on a music forum like you know shit about music.
>You always bring up Radiohead and The Beatles, like a broken record.
Because while I don't like the whole idea of trying to add what amounts to classical music style sophistication in rock music, at least those two bands tried and weren't as lazy as TVU. Not to mention that in The Beatles' case, they are far more influential than TVU ever was.
>Just face up that you don't get VU and let all this pretentious contrarian anger go
>y-you are just mad, chill bro
Pathetic. This, along with how lazy and halfassed your posts are, show how little you truly know on this topic. You don't mention anything about the music itself either. What a waste of my time.

>Classical
Béla Bartók - Three Etudes op. 18
>Jazz
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch!
>Hip-Hop
Madvillain - Madvillainy
>Electronic
Aphex Twin - Drukqs

this

Hell no

>probably aphex sinces hes the only artist to make electronic music

you are my favorite trip and its not even close

>you are my favorite piece of shit and its not even close
is this a compliment or a clapback

this

>classical
unironically beethoven symphony 9
>jazz
charlie mingus - let my children hear music

TJ's favorite album cover

>blue train
thats a cool pick, but wouldnt the best jazz record be something grander?

>grandiose = best always
Hahahahahaha nope. Not that guy, but this is a very disingenuous way of thinking. Often times in music (or any art), true creativity is shown when the artist is limited rather than just hodge podging everything together.

>grandiose = best always
whomever you quoted it certainly wasnt fucking me

>wouldnt the best jazz record be something grander?

>

?

>hard hitting yet energetic feel
that's why I listen to VU
youtube.com/watch?v=7bqB59Ae3ts

>musically interesting
they did lol, you just choose to ignore it bc you get off being contrarian. Mo's drumming alone was inventive and predated krautrock's motorik beats by years so get fuuuucked
>TVU's influences doesn't go beyond that
source (besides your unwashed asshole)?

>weren't as lazy as VU
Lmao, imagine being this fucking ignorant. Radiohead is basically U2 with bleeps. They're good, but you're genuinely retarded if you unironically think VU was lazy
>how lazy and halfassed your posts are
projection. You only waste my time, and show that you truly know jackshit about music. It honestly doesn't seem you even enjoy music, you just enjoy masturbating to your pseudo-intellectual contrarianism by seeking out threads that mention VU and making a point to let everyone know that VU and their fans are shit and lazy and not "complex enough" for your superior brain. You don't mention anything about the music itself either, you just repeat "lazy" and "complex" and "classical" and "Radiohead Beatles" and "visceral temporal timbral dynamics" as if that really fucking means anything

recording of VU literally kicking the Beatles in their bollocks:
youtube.com/watch?v=wpEF6W4BU28

Fixed this for ya

>>Rock
>David Bowie - Hunky Dory
>>Western Art Music
>David Bowie - Hunky Dory
>>Jazz
>John Coltrane - Blue Train
>>Metal
>Poison - Talk Dirty to Me
>>Folk
>No idea and who seriously gives a fuck?
>>Hip Hop
>Jay-Z - The Black Album
>>Electronic
>NOBODY FUCKING CARES
>>RnB
>WTF this category is so fucking huge
>>Punk
>Blink-182 - Blink-182

Classical: probs Mozart or some shit, like that Magic Flute

Jazz: hard one, it's a tie between Miles' "In a Silent Way", Sun Ra's "Lanquidity", and Coltrane's "Interstellar Space"

Electronic: aphex twin - "the grinning man album"

Hip-hop: Serengeti - "Dennehy", no contest

>that's why I listen to VU
t. nu male who can't listen to even the most visceral abrasive guys of that time period.
>they did lol
Nope, just like any rock music with dreams of similar sophistication, they are still very simple compared to what they had ambitions to be like. Also:
>implying the motorik was something super creative or that Mo's version isn't the lamest one that doesn't sound very different from generic rock drumming
>source
The music itself?
>Radiohead is basically U2 with bleeps.
Not at all, U2 does not have any of the kind of harmonic choices that Radiohead often makes. Not to mention that U2 didn't employ elements of krautrock, post-rock, and ambient techno in one record.
>They're good, but you're genuinely retarded if you unironically think VU was lazy
Constant unchanging chord cycles with very little variation offered on top of them. Mo refusing to learn to drum like a normal person because that's too hard for her. It doesn't get more lazy than that.
>You only waste my time
No, see I actually bring up points about their music, and all you do is either say "no u" or are too autistic to figure out what I am trying to say and think I am using meaningless buzzwords. It's true that The Velvet Underground's music is inspired by the Fluxus and Minimalism movements that more academic/experimental guys were involved in the 60s. It's also true that due to sticking to pop/rock structures, TVU's approach is far more restrictive and far less creative than those same guys they were inspired from as those guys didn't restrict themselves at all. TVU's music is also nowhere near as heavy as the heaviest stuff that exists today with the likes of grindcore, metal, punk, etc. but even for their own time most of the heavy psych bands had a far more hard hitting feel. TVU never displayed any technical prowess as most of their music relied on the same few chords. This is all undeniable truth that I have brought up.

This argument is a trainwreck. Here, I'll help you:

Is the music good to you?
>yes
>no

i dont agree

>t. nu male
thanks for letting me know you're retarded
>what they had ambitions to be like
you literally have zero clue about anything you're talking about, as if Lou had "dreams of sophistication" and as if you know what their ambitions were, you fucking idiot
>buhhhhh Mo invented motorik but hers was lame and people did it better later, sounds like generic rock anyway
yeah but that's the thing, VU did a lot of things first, that's why they're so influential. also, motorik drumming is generic rock drumming u fucking moron
>U2 does not have any of the kind of harmonic blah blah
Who give a shitting fuck? The singing style and guitar-as-texture is straight of U2's playbook.
>Not to mention that U2 didn't employ elements of krautrock
you mean the motorik beats that VU invented? Radiohead were inspired by VU, so when you enjoy Radiohead you vicariously enjoy VU.
>repetition as structural device, Mo utilizing the simple yet radical style she pioneered
you're calling them lazy for being punk and krautrock before punk or krautrock were invented, you must really hate music
>No, see
I didn't even bother to read after that because it's 100% certified to be pretentious babbling shit with a good dose of projection

ryo fukui is good but definitely not the right choice here. Alice Coltrane's Journey in Satchidananda would be mine.

>Everyone seems to agree this is the peak of rock music.

not everyone

>visceral sound
I guess the "visceral" guy is back. Stop wasting your time.
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/search/text/visceral/

That Aphex Twin album is shit

t. Autistic avant-teen

is he a very nuanced troll or viscerally aspergian

>is he a very nuanced troll
Most likely a troll.

>Jazz?
Kind of Blue
>Hip-hop?
MBDTF or anything by Death Grips
>Electronic?
SAW 85-92 or R+7

Tristan und Isolde

The Red in the Sky is Ours

youtube.com/watch?v=-VZi0r3Ic-A

>Classical
Rossini - Guglielmo Tell Overture

>Jazz
Charlie Parker - Koko

>Hip Hop
Beastie Boys - Rhymin & Stealin

>Electronic
Kraftwerk - Computerliebe

>the rest, who fucking cares
This is almost correct.
>Chopin - Fugue in A minor, posthy
This is wrong, it's obviously Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-Flat Minor, Op. 35: III. Marche funèbre. Lento

Also, I copied that because I can't remember it.

Rock is jazz.
not even close.

>classical
antonin dvorak no 9 new world symphony
my followups would be tchaikovsky no 6 and list's faust symphony

>rock
The Who's Quadrophenia, very obvious here. Follow-up is everything The Stooges, because it gave a perfect picture of youth, drug abuse, sensualism, boredom, misguidance, etc.

>punk
Either Refused's The Shape of Punk To Come or The Clash's London Calling

>Metal
Megadeth's Rust In Peace, as you would already know. Don't know why the fuck we are still having this debate, the imagination and twisted riff writing here are not matched on any other record.

I legitimately believe this is the pinnacle of "electronic" music, an all-encompassing view of new and old ideas, with an individual artistic take on everything and a really fucking emotional listen to boot

>new meme symphony over tchai 6

did you mean to post this?
youtube.com/watch?v=OFXMGtCI5qs

>classical
Chopin - Piano Concerto No.2 in F minor
>Jazz
Charles Mingus - The black saint and the sinner lady
>Hip hop
Public Enemy - It takes a nation of million...
>Electronic
(unironically) Aphex Twin - SAW 85-92
>rock
Megadeth - Rust In piece or PiL - Metal Box

I think that he mean to post this

no one agrees that this is the peak of rock music

Classical
Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker

also
>album format in classical
retards

Jazz
Mitt Jackson & John Coltrane - Bags & Trane

Hip-hop
MBDTF

Electronic
none? there is no electronic peak yet i mean if you count midcity then i guess midcity LOL

this is a bait post by the way

TVU objectively doesn't have rock's energy. And you're a faggot for thinking so.

If you think motorik is generic, you haven't listened to real motorik drumming by superior krautrock artists.

Radiohead' approach to guitar texture isn't even the same in their records, and their post rock style approach on later records has nothing in common with U2.

I never said TVU wasn't influential. Only that later bands did it better. How dumb are you?

TVU are nothing like punk. If they were their songs would be much shorter.

>didn't read lol
Of course you didn't. Because we all know I am right. At this point you're just arguing for the sake of argument. Not how once you noticed you are losing that you're trying to be trollish. Lmao how embarrassing.