Frank Zappa

First time listening to Joe's Garage. Thoughts on Frank Zappa?

his progressive work with the Mothers is some of the best in the genre

One of the best discographies in popular music
Incredibly eclectic, incredibly consistent, always unique

he fell off after weasels ripped my flesh

i like desu

>incredibly consistent

Well, until the 80s at least
Not stylistically, in terms of quality

> working on a Zappa collection
> long way to go still

Unironically the best rock opera

HERE FIDO, FIDOOO

COME HERE LITTLE PUPPY, BRING THE SLIPPERS

ARF ARF ARF

you either get it, or you don't
> with leather

Name 1 (ONE) artist of the past century who made (and also help make) more interesting music in such high quality and quantity as Frank Zappa.

Brian Eno

I've never understood why his mid-late 70s sorta comedy/cheesy rock is so much more well known and liked than his genius stuff from the 60s.

I don't mind Apostrophe and Joe's Garage and stuff, but it just can't even compete with his first bunch of albums

>this is a dog talking now
Stink-Foot always makes me laugh

You could probably also make arguments for Miles Davis, Sun Ra, The Residents, and John Zorn(?), but I would definitely say Zappa tops them all

Half of his music is a snoozefest, my dude

he says in the fucking FRANK ZAPPA thread

Someone recommend me the best Zappa records that aren't WHACKY POO PEE AUTISM

I've already listened to Hot Rats, One Size Fits All and We're Only In It for The Money and liked all three, WOIFTM because its humor wasn't as unfunny to me

Lumpy Gravy
Uncle Meat
Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Waka/Jawaka
The Grand Wazoo
Roxy & Elsewhere
Zoot Allures
Sleep Dirt
Mothers of Prevention
Jazz from Hell
The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life
Make a Jazz Noise Here
The Yellow Shark

thx tbqh

No problem
Huge Zappa fan here, I do really recommend diving into his discography chronologically
His 60s albums are not only some of his best and most innovative work, but they also have more satirical humor (as opposed to the scatological stuff he got into later)
But don't always be quick to dismiss more vulgar albums like Sheik Yerbouti - there's a ton of great instrumental work on albums like that too
Either way, enjoy some Zappa

he's for kids with fedoras and unicycles right

great list, I can't really think of anything to add or take away, maybe just You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore vol 2

He's One Of The GOATS Of American Music. Some EdgeFags On /Mu Like To Shit Talk Him. Obviously Not Everything That He Put Out Is A 10/10, But The Fact Is That His Contributions To The Music Industry Are Immense.

Also, I'm Currently Listening To 'Broadway The Hard Way'.

So Far I'm Enjoying It.

I recently had What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body stuck in my head for like three days

Bartok, Penderecki, Schnittke, Rautavaara and pretty much all actual composers

I am Zappa newbie too, I enjoy his more hard rock/guitar driven stuff. What are some albums that display this side of his music?

Over-Nite Sensation, Apostrophe, One Size Fits All, Zoot Allures.

Thanks, I've already listened to Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe and they are great!

>2017
>hasn't heard American Idiot

66-79 is all gold. Most artists can barely string quality albums

Green Day are unbelievably shit. I really hope you're memeing.