Pitchfork and Fantano liked it so that means I like it too

>pitchfork and Fantano liked it so that means I like it too

dead wife aside, it's not good

Unironically this

>being this much of an utter retarded pleb

or i just get something out of the music on my own accord and don't cling to irrelevant publications to tell me how to feel or give me some pseudo-status quo to ~"rebel"~ against

loved it saw it in concert with my girlfriend yes i have a girlfriend and i got one for liking this album

What's not good about it?

A Numale Made an Album at Me

I only got through the first song and knew it'd be just like listening to Carrie & Lowell again, and that album was just too sad to go through again

>le nu-male whining about his dead wife album

Alright, but that doesn't really describe musically what is wrong with the album though.

Bitchfork and Fagtano like rap, like nah nigga.

Musically it's a guy strumming mindlessly for an hour while he repeats the same concepts over and over again. The album runs out of ideas within the first track. Some of his thoughts later are interesting/good but overall he didn't really cover much outside of death is real. I'm shocked Phil didn't have more insight into the situation. Maybe if he didn't rush this album out the door for absolutely no reason at all he would have had time/the vision to create something that involves grieving and covers the topic intelligently.

I have no issue with him creating this album to grieve but as a consumer it's frankly worthless.

And the strumming isn't even pleasant. Phil typically records and produces guitar in particular in a really satisfying and impactful way but for the sake of being raw he made the production and mixing utterly boring this time around.

Anthony Bitchboitano

>musician whos been making music for longer than most people on this board have been alive
>known for making depressing music about relationships, existentialism, and other shit
>people expect him not to write music about his now dead wife

this album is so cringe t b h

>likes fantano/p4k-core
>calls other plebs
wew

How's your first week of high school?

oh im the one in high school? ironic

Reviews aren't about telling you what to like or dislike. They're to determine what you will PROBABLY like or dislike so you have some frame of reference in a world where it is impossible to experience everything for yourself.

Explain to me how Phil is a numale without resorting to reddit buzzwords

>types in lowercase
>t b h
>describes things as "cringe" when there's nothing cringeworthy about it
I'm sorry, I meant middle school.

I see this critique a lot and it makes no sense to me, youre upset about the lack of scope of this album but consider yrself a fan of phils other works when the majority of his work is really about one or two things (everything being meaningless on a large scale, mundane/little things meaning so much in day to day moments.) This record is so much more than "death is real" and even that statement is a lot to unpack. It's self critical, more autobiographical than any work he's ever done, it deals with memory and those same existential issues that've always been present in his music.

I also dont think it's all that different from a lot of his past albums musically, a lot of em have been droney and repetitive and this is no different, just stripped down and there are some genuinely beautiful moments, when the tempo picks up and the piano comes in on Toothbrush/Trash my heart swells, its almost uplifting

>caring about grammar on a mongolian power drill trading board
>there's nothing cringeworthy about it
it just feels so fabricated, it's almost like he just did this to pay the funeral bills lol

well making music has been his career for p much his entire life so i wouldnt be surprised/wouldnt care if that played a role in the making of the album

have you ever considered that yr just a cynical, nihilistic, misanthropic asshole? I bet you label yrself as those things proudly

I used to look up pitchfork reviews to find music to impress my friends. If I thought my friends would know who the artist was I wouldn't mention, I used it to exclusively find music no one would know about, even if it was garbage. I was a very kewl kid

This is the word-by-word definition of "hipster"

>pitchfork and Fantano liked it so that means I can't like it too

This is the most nu-male album of the year

>dead wife aside
>criticizes it

I thought it was alright, but it's not something I'm going to listen to that much, if at all, ever again.

first day on Sup Forums?

it's abt his dead wife u fuck

>>pitchfork and Fantano liked it so that means I don't

>dislikes something because certain reviewers like it
you realize this is pretty much the same ignorance people who only go to p4k/melon for clarification use, right?

doesn't make it immune to criticism

Mount Eerie > Ocean Roar > the Glow pt 2 > Dawn > No Flashlight > Sauna > It Was Hot > Clear Moon > A Crow Looked At Me > Don't Wake Me Up > Wind's Poem > Lost Wisdom

I appreciate you putting Dawn that high but damn dude no love for WP??

I know right? I feel like there's something wrong with me fro not like it as much as everyone else does. I like most of the songs in isolation (Through the Trees is one of the best tracks he's ever done), but when I listen to it as a whole it feels really dull; the quiet tracks seem maudlin and the metal tracks seem like tuneless guitar blasts.
It's weird since most of the songs sound good to me on their own, but not together. Ocean Roar feels like everything the Wind's Poem tried to do, perfectly executed

You really have to be some kind of sociopath to not get any emotions out of this

I can understand not liking it, but saying stuff like "it's cringe", "nu-male whining about his dead wife" and all just makes you sound pathetic.
We get it, you're on Sup Forums, you're such a badass for not getting any emotions out of sad music

Good argument, Ocean Roar is a better album nonetheless.
Wind's Poem just fucking does something for me, I'm not sure how to explain it. I honestly didn't like it initially but its become one of my favorites by him over time.

You have to understand that people who say those things most likely haven't listened to it. They're just contrarians.

>nu-male uncomfortable about feelings
>calls anything he doesn't like a nu-male

sit your millennial ass down

I got a bit misty eyed at times but that's about it. No shame in having a heart

It's boring

Sad and emotional, yeah

But boring

It's the same sad retard with no emotional conscience shitting on this album every few days. Hurr epic post my nu male friend :^).

I like this album too, where do i have to go to get a girlfriend assigned?

thats like saying that without Interstella 5555, Discovery is shit (which is true)

>What is symbolism and artistic purpose
Why do autists pretend to like music when all they're going to do is try to objectively judge it?

>it's a guy strumming mindlessly for an hour
Not even remotely true

more like flaming homo lamo

For me I just found the lyrics very tryhard and cringey and the music overall didn't really impress me much. I guess it just didn't really do anything for me and I've listened to albums which have had a much larger emotional impact. I guess that's just me tho so who am I to say that it doesn't deserve the praise it gets.

>doesn't like a shitty half-assed album
>"have you ever considered that yr just a cynical, nihilistic, misanthropic asshole? I bet you label yrself as those things proudly"

Kys

>He still likes the incoherent mess that Discovery
I swear for every good track there's 2 boring and 1 mediocre one. Its jjust not worth listening to. RAM was way more fun to listen to, despite being less innovative. RAM and Homework are their only great albums.

Is that a pity rating 'cause I don't like the music

>Literally no valid critiques the entire back and forth
It's almost as if you don't know what you're talking about and have a worthless opinion.

This. It feels like he was trying to hard to be genuine that it just comes across as fake.

his wife died and he acted like a total fag about it.
i saw more articles about that guy talking about his dead wife than i did about him making music.
numale emotional faggot, wants everyone to feel sorry for him so they'll listen to his shit music.
that explain it?

>his wife died and he acted like a total fag about it
Lol can you imagine being this edgy

He literally forwarded no publication about it unless prompted for an interview/article. Do you really think that the artists call up the media and go 'hey come do a story on me'? You're an actual fucking moron, and if you're really gonna act like these news articles banking off a person openly grieving his wife's death, is a sign of him "being a faggot" you really need to fucking grow up. You must be underage.

>Do you really think that the artists call up the media and go 'hey come do a story on me'?

Labels organise it. Usually they have to advertise in the publication, they pay to be interviewed / promoted.