/classical/

Havergal Brian edition.

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM
youtube.com/watch?v=IKcOXf1vENY
youtube.com/watch?v=01JlqALLUnE
youtube.com/watch?v=3MRvDGd02mA
youtube.com/watch?v=PB4pXUUiSb4
youtube.com/watch?v=_Mursg7TZsE&list=PLu6D2w79TomIwAFhnNdP5pupB7d8wn1BP&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=8xCR3HjYwyw&index=2&list=PLu6D2w79TomIwAFhnNdP5pupB7d8wn1BP
youtube.com/watch?v=RICGqS2UtmU&index=3&list=PLu6D2w79TomIwAFhnNdP5pupB7d8wn1BP
youtube.com/watch?v=eSNPSJ9QEhI&list=PLu6D2w79TomIwAFhnNdP5pupB7d8wn1BP&index=4
youtube.com/watch?v=Kph8L2XKQ58&index=5&list=PLu6D2w79TomIwAFhnNdP5pupB7d8wn1BP
youtube.com/watch?v=oL_3DvfqTCs
youtube.com/watch?v=h3b-cPfUwbM
youtube.com/watch?v=K_QAoanXntw
youtube.com/watch?v=dI0MCvpD8uI
youtube.com/watch?v=WrjXEPqNIiM
youtube.com/watch?v=ywKxLSPL6sg
youtube.com/watch?v=ANKjat2bj94
youtube.com/watch?v=Dk8Bpxrs0rY
youtu.be/sG4Z8yVEHZI
youtube.com/watch?v=WI55KAtSdSc
youtube.com/watch?v=yEVMFKRMTyE
f.lewd.se/2lNUW3_brahmsviolinsonata3.mp3
youtube.com/watch?v=TjqGXMOvHD0
youtube.com/watch?v=g7V2IQx1_j8&index=1&list=PLdItLaHxPEFnQzhFSP5M3SaupD55ve_jB
youtube.com/watch?v=m7_1HUEvieE
youtube.com/watch?v=5iYiY-tDWOA
youtube.com/watch?v=-aYNWxJ2KEc
youtube.com/watch?v=f6YnkAQg0lY
youtube.com/watch?v=7M5n3oWhyTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=NRv_yoET-mA
youtube.com/watch?v=CmPQ2eZVn7g
youtube.com/watch?v=UQwQSWTw71U
youtube.com/watch?v=EMR8WTsEXGQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KKGowYpxzj4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

non-dissoshit Shoenberg
youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM

Handel

youtube.com/watch?v=IKcOXf1vENY

Xenakis

youtube.com/watch?v=01JlqALLUnE

Fat

Ventripotent
youtube.com/watch?v=3MRvDGd02mA

Based

What does /classical/ listen to when they're not listening to classical? Is there any rock or electronic music worthy of comparison? Do you buy into the idea that popular music has degraded in complexity?

I'm a trained classical musician. What I can tell you is that bubblegum bass is the ONLY pop genre worthy of comparison with art music.

youtube.com/watch?v=PB4pXUUiSb4

Verklarte Nacht is literally about cucking and Schoenberg disowned it's text at a later point.

Always listened to a lot of things: punk, indie, soul, reggae, idm, trance, techno etc. I don't really listen to pop but it seems to me to be more complex than ever, picking and choosing elements from all over. Doesn't necessarily make it good but I don't think it lacks complexity.

Can you clarify what you mean by "picking and choosing elements from all over." That sounds more like evidence of diversity than complexity.

cringe

Well yes I suppose diversity is a better word for it. The underlying song might be just something simple, three chords or a beat, but the shifts in tone that the different elements give make the songs sound more complicated than the average popsong from 30 years back.

hush faggot

Stuff like jazz and big band swing music.

No

Yes

I'm listening to this currently.

>not knowing what cucking is.

>4 chord structure
>doesn't lack complexity

Maybe

Perhaps

>Handel - Coronation Anthems
youtube.com/watch?v=_Mursg7TZsE&list=PLu6D2w79TomIwAFhnNdP5pupB7d8wn1BP&index=1
> Rachmaninov - Prelude Op.23 No.1 in F sharp minor
youtube.com/watch?v=8xCR3HjYwyw&index=2&list=PLu6D2w79TomIwAFhnNdP5pupB7d8wn1BP
>Rachmaninoff - Prelude Op. 23 No. 2
youtube.com/watch?v=RICGqS2UtmU&index=3&list=PLu6D2w79TomIwAFhnNdP5pupB7d8wn1BP
>Prokofiev - War and peace, symphonic suite
youtube.com/watch?v=eSNPSJ9QEhI&list=PLu6D2w79TomIwAFhnNdP5pupB7d8wn1BP&index=4
>Peter von Winter - Symphony No.1 in D major
youtube.com/watch?v=Kph8L2XKQ58&index=5&list=PLu6D2w79TomIwAFhnNdP5pupB7d8wn1BP

Bump

youtube.com/watch?v=oL_3DvfqTCs
liszt h-minor sonata orchestration

youtube.com/watch?v=h3b-cPfUwbM

dead
vs
alive
youtube.com/watch?v=K_QAoanXntw

Is interest in classical music, attending concerts, increasing or declining? Are most of the fans old?

Traditional music. I like that its often microtonal
youtube.com/watch?v=dI0MCvpD8uI
youtube.com/watch?v=WrjXEPqNIiM
youtube.com/watch?v=ywKxLSPL6sg

Traditional songs I also enjoy, although often they are simply popular music from bygone ages, or traditional songs arranged by composers;
youtube.com/watch?v=ANKjat2bj94
youtube.com/watch?v=Dk8Bpxrs0rY

Seems to be increasing. Lots of youth orchestras and competitions for your performers.

Do you listen to jazz at all, poly?

Rarely. I heard a lot growing up - goodman, miles davis, glenn miller, and some boogie-woogie era stuff. My parents would listen to anything from Bach and Telemann to Django Reinhardt, Bob Marley and Bjork.
I occasionally listen to Avishai Cohen trio but jazz doesn't really interest me these days - its good chilled background music, but I pretty much exclusively listen to Bach or Renaissance polyphony. No fugues or carefully composed 4+ part polyphony and it just isn't enough to hold my attention.

No contemporary composers?

Ben Johnston

youtu.be/sG4Z8yVEHZI

I will sometimes listen to new works that appear as part of the SOUNZ films, but not many contemporary composers are doing things I like. I did go through periods of listening a lot to Grisey, Murail, Ferneyhough, Schnittke et. al. but they lack the beauty of renaissance music and the interlocking charm of Bach.

Most of the time I write more music than I listen to. I've spent 20+ years absorbing music of all genres, now I just want to do my own thing.

It's dead in America. Places like Europe and Japan seem to be fine, though.

petzold

Schoenberg ruined music. SDF is about to get BTFO

At the beginning of the 20th century, an evil man named by the name of Arnold Schoenberg claimed that tonal music, as characterized from Bach through Brahms, had simply been exhausted. There was nothing more to say in that language, so he had to LIBERATE MUSIC FROM THE SHACKLES OF TONALITY and introduce atonality, and later serial music. Which pretty much killed music in the 20th century.

It was a lie. It was a lie based on a reductionist concept of music. Schoenberg said that music consists of chord progressions and that there's only so many chords you can make and soon you'll exhaust them. That was his argument. Well, IF music consisted only of chord progressions, there might be some merit to that argument though I doubt it. But if you look at music this way: the scientific investigation into generating new ordering principles in music, then it's exhaustible. What Schoenberg and his associates did to music, is to my mind, a crime.

your entire post is a lie.

Everyone was breaking tonality in Schoenberg's time.
He just happened to take all the chaotic "breaking of the rules" and create some rules to work within, allowing composers to use patterns and logic instead of just going crazy.

Pretty sure Schoenberg never any of the things you claim he said. Please provide citations and/or actual quotes from Schoenberg.

Mahler and Strauss are just as much to blame for "breaking" tonal music. Strauss' Elektra and Mahler's stretching tonality - for example his shriek chord in the 10th symphony.

Wagner is the real one to blame for "breaking tonality" he went so chromatic that keys no longer seemed to matter.

Dyens
youtube.com/watch?v=WI55KAtSdSc

Dohnanyi
youtube.com/watch?v=yEVMFKRMTyE

Dohnanyi.
f.lewd.se/2lNUW3_brahmsviolinsonata3.mp3

Janacek
youtube.com/watch?v=TjqGXMOvHD0

its a little silly to call Verklarte Nacht "non-dissonant" though it is certainly tonal

Best Don Giovanni?

youtube.com/watch?v=g7V2IQx1_j8&index=1&list=PLdItLaHxPEFnQzhFSP5M3SaupD55ve_jB

I've been seeing my new piano teacher for about 2 months but I want to change because I feel she is not strict enough. How do I tell her this?

Lil' Jacob released a new music video and it's my time to take a one step further down my crippling depression.

youtube.com/watch?v=m7_1HUEvieE

Is this the future? I started feeling that if my music is not as complex, it's a complete trash. And I don't think I have a mental capacity to make stuff like this. Going down the comments and seeing people naming all these weird chords, while I can't recognize even one makes me sick.

i do not know nor care who that is

Lully
youtube.com/watch?v=5iYiY-tDWOA

He is constantly talked about on places like /r/musictheory. People seem to compare him to a modern day Mozart or something.

The video you linked is not even classical-related

>modern day Mozart or something
hardly. He mostly does covers, maybe some jazzy arrangements. His strength lies in production and vocal layers.

As you can see, the video posted above is a cover, of popular music none the less. He does not belong in /classical/

hey guys
sorry if this is wildly innappropriate but
im very confused about 'dowwnloading/listening' to classical music, like the 'versions/editions' etc or whatever theyre really called
say for erik satie who id like to download and listen to stuff from, how would i do this/what should i search for?
thanks

You guys really do hate anything non-classical. I posted it here talking about a composition in general, since I know /comp/ is dead and a lot of you are music students.

yeah we only care about classical composition. What else did you expect from /classical/? We don't hate him, we just don't care about him.

Jazz chords belong in /jazz/. Call us when mr Collier starts writing his own music and getting it performed by classical performers. He may know about 'negative harmony', but does he know how to write a fugue?

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped going to /classical/ and /comp/ before it died. Goodbye.

Pretentious pleb spotted.

he already left, see

>Is there any rock or electronic music worthy of comparison?

>Arnold Schoenberg claimed that tonal music, as characterized from Bach through Brahms, had simply been exhausted
He's been quoted saying "There is still plenty of good music to be written in C Major", the exact opposite, you fuck. Everything you said is provably wrong. lol

>Wagner is the real one to blame for "breaking tonality" he went so chromatic that keys no longer seemed to matter.

Didn't Bach already do that?

Tonality is more like an artificial system imposed on music at the start of the baroque which people have been struggling to work within or escape from ever since. Except in the classical era when they loved that shit and they believed they were imitating the regularity of greco-roman music, which they actually knew nothing about.

Bach never went as far as Wagner. He definitely has some chromatic passages, but usually heads back to standard harmony and keys before too long.

Mostly Zappa, punk and 1940s big band jazz.

Music from different traditions can be compared, but only in technical terms. It generally doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the music, however. Classical music isn't popular music isn't Indian raga isn't . It's largely fruitless cultural ladder climbing, like when people try to make out that video game soundtracks or heavy metal are "the new classical". It's stupid.

And yes, popular music has demonstrably been simplified, although by its nature it was never particularly complex. Compare any popular song from the 1930s with one from the 2010s, it's almopst guaranteed that the former will be an actual composition while the latter will be a four bar drum loop with sound effects and extremely basic chord sequences (note sequences and not progressions, because they don't use functional harmony). Simplification of the music may be correlated with the increase in elaborateness of music videos from the 1980s onwards. Hip hop also shoulders some of the responsibility, its format has become standard for almost all western pop music.

youtube.com/watch?v=-aYNWxJ2KEc

You're not strict enough.

Get a bunch and keep the ones that sound better to you.

Gould

youtube.com/watch?v=f6YnkAQg0lY

>mfw someone uses the sustain pedal in Bach

Bach never wrote music to use a sustain pedal, the sustain pedal did not exist in Bach's time, and any pianist that uses pedal in Bach (with the minor exception of the A minor fugue in Book 1 of the WTC which was expressly written for Organ) is doing a great disservice to the music of Bach.

It is the equivalent of trying to talk with one's mouth full. Bach's music demands clarity and articulation, and when lesser pianists rely on the sustain pedal, they are betraying Bach not just the composer, but Bach the Man as well.

This. Or better yet, don't play Bach on an instrument that he's never even fucking seen in his life.

this
or better yet don't play bach

this just play petzold xdddDdXDd

even that isn't a satisfactory argument because an instrument such as the harpsichord, though better suited for the Goldberg Variations or Italian Concerto, is not the proper instrument for the Well Tempered Clavier due to the markings of "appoggiatura" throughout. A harpsichord cannot replicate an appoggiatura due to the lack of dynamics on the instrument.

The clavichord (Bach's favorite instrument), the piano, and the Organ are the best instruments for WTC.

>A harpsichord cannot replicate an appoggiatura due to the lack of dynamics on the instrument.
lol

t. guy who doesn't play keyboard

>keyboard is the only classical instrument

excellent post, solid point
this user will go places

>"keyboard" only refers to one instrument
uh, no.

best recording of Borodin 2th string quartet?

>he can't comprehend people referring to a category of instrument as a singular

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=7M5n3oWhyTQ

wagner vs schönberg is like ptolemaic vs copernican mindset.

even if wagner technically contributed to the paradigm shift, his music was still ptolemaic (human as center/focus of the musical universe).
a pure copernican composer pursues the idea that there can be autonomous music without a special relation to human bio-reality.

Harpsifags BTFO

SHUT THE FUCK UP HARPSICHORD ARE GREAT THEY CAN IMITATE DYNAMICS BY SLAMMING DOWN CHORD CLUSTERS

>they can create dynamics by altering the music and the intent of the work

An appoggiatura cannot be replicated on a harpsichord, period. It requires the player to contrast two notes at differing volumes, which can't be done on a harpsichord.

baka desu senpai

Vivaldi

youtube.com/watch?v=NRv_yoET-mA

Terrible fucking interpretation.
youtube.com/watch?v=CmPQ2eZVn7g

My desires kindly bend towards the intimate ravenous excavation I would inflict to this anime individual

In the ass

youtube.com/watch?v=UQwQSWTw71U

fuck you

Your remarks are much like the interpretations you favor: overworked and awkwardly emphasised to the point of incomprehension.

What?
Does the player have Downs? Why is he playing allegro like andante?
youtube.com/watch?v=EMR8WTsEXGQ

Because in baroque times they was only one tempo and andante, allegro, etc referred to the character of the piece

lol no

Rec me some pieces/performances with boys choir pls

Ramin's cycle of bach cantatas

Lol Ramin is he a noodle

Why is there so few recordings of Händel's keyboard pieces?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KKGowYpxzj4
For instance, this is the only harpsichord recording of this suite I could find on YouTube.

Because they suck lol.