Nine Inch Nails

Everyone's thoughts on Nine Inch Nails?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2gh2atRW2Qg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Literally the only thing i think about Nine Inch Nails is how it was the Animorphs’ favorite band and the would tell their parents it stood for “Nice Is Neat” or something and they would pretend to be going to the NiN concert but they were really battling the yeerks

I dont think i’ll ever listen to NiN

Oh i also have one more thought on them sometimes: is he talking about fingernails or like nails the tool-item?

Genuine aural pleasure

why stylize it as NiN. Keep seeing that. Makes no sense

>NII
What did Tront mean by this?

used to be pretty good

now it kinda sucks

NIN fanboys are usually alt-normie tools who fail to realize that even dumb catchy industrial rock is better than the most "boundary-pushing" conceptual soundscape experiment Trent can come up with.

We have NIN threads almost daily.

Really like it.

Tool-item. The name's more industrial than the music.

I used to be bigger on them than I am now. But I do think his soundscapes and presentations are good. I dont really care if thats alt-normie for you or not. I like Joy Division and Bauhaus quite alot and I you can hear he took some inspirations from it. He's also responsible for the music in Quake.
I dont know man, NIN just has this special place.

the item

cause like crucifixion

biblical references were extremely popular among slightly edgy new wave bands

an undeserved special place

Dead Souls by NIN is one of the only covers I can listen to

same threads everyday is exactly the same. Don't have to read the past posts to know it's some form of people arguing and combatting over the "authenticity" of their "tru industrialness" and this will be the entirety of the thread with some appreciation for the music alone and context negated interspersed

NiN's problem isn't that it stopped being industrial, it's that it stopped being rock

>NiN

There's nothing inherently wrong with that. There doesnt seem to be any valid criticism of his later work that doesn't devolve into a questioning of genre and label authenticity. People can't seem to focus on the purely sonic qualities and if they do without just saying "boring" or its derivatives, nothing of why its boring or how the emotions it evokes or apparently doesnt relates

Well yes there is.

Rockism is correct, you know. I mean you may prefer other genres but the fact remains that riff-focused rock songwriting makes songs better.
It's not about authenticity, it's about the fact that rock makes for better, more fulfilling and enjoyable listening experiences.

to each his own

yes but some people's own is better than others' own

>rock makes for better, more fulfilling and enjoyable listening experiences.

fucking. how.
How does a focus on riffs make for an objectively "better" experience. And how do you even define "better"?

better is more enjoyable and fulfilling to listen to

The fact is that riffs are more enjoyable and fulfilling to listen to than everything else

that's just how things are.

You might find riffs more enjoyable and fulfilling, and there's nothing wrong with that, but many would disagree.

idk is that how they wrote it in animorphs?
what's more, in the same book that mentions NiN, Visser 3 morphs directly from his human morph to one of his alien monster morphs, despite the books repeatedly stating that one must demorph and return to their natural (base) form before morphing again. I sometimes wonder whether this was ever addressed.

Yes but I'm explaining you that their disagreement is illegitimate. They don't have the right to disagree.

In other words, they're wrong.

realize there's 2 people replying to you. I'm being trolled at this point huh?
>it is so because it is
>no mention of emotive evocation or fuck even context at this point
>that's just how things are
Sometimes I hate myself for taking Sup Forums seriously and falling back into serious "discussions"

it's serious, you're just not willing to accept that rock songwriting is the best because it contradicts your made-up values

The irony is fucking palpable

Honestly thought this was another guy shitposting at first, I can't believe that anyone here actually holds this opinion. This is youtube comment-tier

Lyrics are often pretty shitty but the music is great.

errors were made in animorphs conitunity several times, sometimes due to half the series being ghostwritten, sometimes due to it being way more convienient
whats the mention of nin btw?

the superiority of rock songwriting is self-evident, it's something you can hear instantly

bullshit like "emotive evocation" is abstract theoretical nonsense that some people make up to justify the inconsistency of their tastes, and end up caring for more than they care for the music itself.

Never got around to listening to them because of preconceptions from when I was younger

>it's not relativist bullshit
>therefore it must be wrong

The lyrics are another criticism i only see somewhat tangible. But even then, how are they shitty? Because theyre not steeped in metaphor and allusion? What is the inherent quality that makes such lyrics less "shitty"? And if you can answer that, why is that quality an objective facet not to be disputed further?

if it's so apparent why are you having such a tough time describing it in metaphors other than "thats just the way it is". What's the problem with asking yourself WHY? over and over again even when you feel like youve come to a wall in defining with objective terminology? Youve stopped at a certain point. Why?

Cassie's mom (Michelle) thinks Cassie is interested in a number of musical groups: The Fudgies, Snoopy Diggity Dog, Boys Eleven Men, and Nice Is Neat. In book 12 "The Reaction", Cassie mentions that she told her mother NIN stood for 'Nice Is Neat', so she could get the new Nine Inch Nails CD. However, in real life NIN hadn't released an album since 1994 at that point.
I thought there was more to it, but it was 1997 so I don't remember

So Reznor stopped giving a shit what you mouth breathing normies wanted and went back to doing things that he took pleasure in.

I fail to see the problem here.

"By the way, Fuck Rock." - Reznor in the middle of his 2013 Reading festival show.

What is this meme about NIN stopping being rock
>With Teeth, most straight forward rock albun since Broken
>Year Zero, industrial/noise rock
>The Slip, industrial rock
>NTAE, noise rock

People don't like lyrics like that because of all the nu-metal guys acting edgy for the sake of being edgy.

one of the few artists who survived the 90's and managed to consistently make good material. not fan boying here but I think tront has actually gotten better as time has gone on. His production chops just get stronger and stronger with each project and I highly anticipate his new releases. I think the unfortunate but general consensus on NIN is that his newer material (everything past With Teeth) is toothless and diluted in comparison to the fragile and downward spiral. i completely disagree and think that artists change, and with that the material they produce. To seriously expect this dude to do the same thing over and over again is condescending at best. imo, if you compare NIN to other industrial music that came out of the 90's, NIN came out the strongest. No one really expects much from a ministry or KMFDM project, but NIN has managed to innovate and expand beyond the borders of generic industrial expectations. The dudes scorework and production has helped him transcend these shitty tropes tremendously and I'm really eager to see what he comes out with as his career continues.

thats very detailed, thank you
is there any reason youre posting so extensively about animorphs, Genuinely interested or just memin?

I'm surprised Zero Sum doesn't get any love here. It's such a great ending to YZ.
youtube.com/watch?v=2gh2atRW2Qg

it's a reference to dick you fucking underage kids

i mean this is a NiN thread, isn't it?

is this a real one? never seen this one

Yes, The Separation, #32 was actually not ghostwritten and K. A. Applegate wrote the whole thing. It seems Applegate was experimenting again, exploring the boundaries of what the first person narrative style.
On a field trip to the beach, Rachel is exploring tide pools when she loses an earring in the water. Wishing to get it back she comes across a starfish, acquires it, and morphs into it, retrieving the earring. Unfortunately, before she can demorph, a child chops her in half. Thanks to the regenerative properties of starfish, Rachel does not die; instead, in the shock of being sliced in two, both halves demorph, resulting in two Rachels - Mean Rachel and Nice Rachel.
Mean Rachel is violent, aggressive, and despises all forms of "weakness" including most feelings, and any attitudes towards enemies other than homicidal hatred. She is totally incapable of planning ahead, making her useless in anything other than direct combat situations, and believes that she is always right. This leads her to try to kill Marco and Jake and take control of the Animorphs. Nice Rachel is totally passive, easily frightened, and too scared to morph. She cannot fight, making herself a liability in battle, although she is good at planning. Both Rachels threaten the secrecy and long-term survival of the Animorphs, and the rest of the Animorphs must find a way to combine them back into Normal Rachel.
There is no mention of Nine Inch Nails in this book.

>But even then, how are they shitty? Because theyre not steeped in metaphor and allusion?
They're overly dramatic for the hell of it. Just soooo over the top for no apparent reason. This leads to some pretty emotionally effective moments but honestly, 80% of it is just 'hurr I'm f*cked up XD' core. (e.g. Somewhat Damaged)

Honestly their lyrics are maybe one step up above Evanescence-tier "WAKE ME UP"-type shit.

bad lyrics fantastic music

I think It's one of my favourite NIN songs

welcome to post-industrial

it's "Fuck rock and roll, by the way"

my favorite band 2bh

MORE LIKE
THREE
INCH
NAILS

I heard he likes to use candles as dildos

They are one of my favorite bands.

his preferred method of destroying angels

>They don't have the right to disagree

i liked that one but i liked the one where she talked to crayak and morphed into Wolverine was better

>Nice Is Neat

toppest

wait are you guys trying to tell me its not nine inch (finger)nails

>You just leave me nailed here
>Hanging like Jesus on this cross
>I'm just dying for your sins
>And aiding to the cause

you tell me, user

>bad lyrics meme

Wow.

HTDA/HM/NTAE/AV multitracks and your new diet/cardio plan when

>Thinking PHM represents 29 years of Nine Inch Nails discography.

oh lord

Hasn't put out good music in over a decade.

Why. Is it not LOOOOOUD and ANNGSTY enough

Fuck off.

still better than Everything (TDS2anon need not apply), I don't think his lyrics are generally bad though.

now that's a shitty meme if I ever saw one.

Everything is a good song
it only sounds happy
y dont you understand that
y dont yuo listen to it past the first verse

Honestly? I prefer the soft-Rave-goth/Industrial era of Trent than his sufferer-drenched angst you find on TDS and forward. Great producer, shitty lyricist, and his songs are beginning to all sound similar.

I do tront, we all do. actually my favorite part is the outro from "I am home". it does sound happy except for the chorus, though.

I don't totally agree with the latter part, but I hate how the songs on the new EPs don't have proper endings anymore, they just cut off. I love me a good Nice Is Neat outro

TR's a dick

butt I love him, don tell anyone

Not really a dick. Just autism tiered lack of language filter.

Some like it, some don't, and that;s okay. However, I think one ought to familiarise themselves with NIN at least once. It's very unique, being essentially a one-man band, with albums that essentially chronicle Trent's ideological and personal sentiments. It's often edgy, and occasionally displays bizzare and asinine opinions (of Trent), however almost always in good taste and great execution. IMHO, Trent is perhaps one of the most talented musicians of the past two decades.

I'd say Trent deserves more in the bit of a cunt section. Think of all those memes of him sperging on people like Chris Cornell and whatnot,

He rescues abandoned track dogs which shaves off a cunt point.

Sometimes people are in need of a good reaming.

>if we will continue at all
The whole song really gets to me. Combined with In This Twilight YZ's ending was fuckin' awesome

i unironically can find something i love about everything NIN up till hesitation marks...

I'll Nail ur mom with this Nine Inch dick

Pretty Hate Machine is my favorite EBM album of all time.