Why is this such a good album? Is it the production? The singer's voice? >inb4 bad album

Why is this such a good album? Is it the production? The singer's voice? >inb4 bad album

its not.
best song is the first song. every one after keeps dropping in quality

it's ok. very forgettable considering the early 2000s milieu from which it stems

Because it's a tepid Joy Division ripoff with an NYC trust fund kid spin to it, thus allowing middle-class college kids who can't get laid(or get laid too much) and don't know what to do with their lives after finishing school think of themselves as being just as tortured and dark as Ian Curtis was.
When you listen to this album, you're not listening to a post-punk album. You're listening to a bunch of sheltered posers listening to a post-punk abum.

Good songwriting. Note the absence of this on their later albums.

>When you listen to this album, you're not listening to a post-punk album. You're listening to a bunch of sheltered posers listening to a post-punk abum.

this is the best criticism of interpol and post-punk revivalism in general that i've ever read

nah it's pretty standard Sup Forums signaling

>people i dont like like it so let me talk out my ass about why this isn't REAL post-punk

i dont even care for the album, but you pretentious shits need to lose the superiority complex. i get the impression that you care more about music for its social implications than any actual enjoyment it brings.

you are the cancer killing this board
>dude chill out don't be negative its fun
fuck off loser

make sure to tell that cute girl at the party about how truly tortured souls listen to joy division (:

jd is overrated.
pls fuck off loser

The songwriting is great. The tracks aren't the same song with different chords and melodies. I don't know how anyone can say the album gets worse as it goes along when The New is the penultimate track.

god i miss 2000-2010 indie rock

me too user. me too. not sure what happened.

I agree with interpol's criticism. But
>jd is overrated
please kys. you think you sound intelligent by being hip and cynically trashing something without justification but you just sound like a retard.

Same. I miss guitars.

That's bullshit. The New and Leif Erikson are two of their best songs.

it's pretty good if you don't pay attention to the lyrics

lmao imagine actually being this guy

I'm listening to it again just because you posted it, I hope you're happy.

Think I'm gonna do the same desu. Never bothered checking out anything else by them though, feels like this album is good enough when I'm in the mood for such.

I don't get why people keep comparing them to Joy Division. The only similar element is the vocals and even that's a bit of a stretch. Interpol and JD have completely different sounds.

i didn't even write tthat shit dumbass
kys loser

they aren't better than the first track.

>armchair psychology
>strawman
>pointless/unwarranted comparison to post-punk and Joy Division
Yeah, this is definitely Sup Forums

STELLA I LOVE YOU

the drum and bass make this album desu

because they get labeled as post-punk and they started the "post-punk revival"
I completely agree with you by the way.

I was about to say this. They play off each other so well

truest fact about this album

They sound much more like The Chameleons.

me too anons, this book was so much fun to read. i never even liked the strokes/ yeah yeah yeahs/ interpol/ etc but this made me so nostalgic for when that was what was talked about

It seems Sup Forums is capable of having only two opinions:

1. Anything that came after Joy Division that is not New Order is bad
2. Anything that came after Joy Division is trying to be Joy Division

All of the above

Literally the two best songs are the last two, you dumb fuck

Because people are stupid and when they hear post-punk revival, the only post-punk band they've ever heard of is Joy Division so they instantly make the connection and never put any thought into why they made the comparison

I sort of regret not saying 'fuck it' and moving to NYC when I was 22. Sigh.

it's not a bad album overall, not too many people I find call it an outright masterpiece

the guitarwork though is very underrated

>i never even liked the strokes/ yeah yeah yeahs/ interpol/ etc but this made me so nostalgic for when that was what was talked about

You weren't even old enough to be paying attention to that shit when it was actually going on, you fuck.
It was an awful time for independent rock music, and pretty much made it impossible for working class bands to ever rise to prominence in that environment again(which, considering that indie rock was the last place where working class bands could actually rise to prominence in the first place, meant that the working class ended up getting permanently locked out of the music industry by 2002).
It was all rich kids all the time once The Strokes and Interpol blew up(and took Pitchfork with them). It was fucking awful.

SHE DOESN'T KNOW THAT I LEFT MY URGE IN THE ICEBOX

>tfw have the entire tracklist tattooed in a spiral around my right bicep and everyone just sees "Leif Erikson" and vaguely asks, hey isn't that [something other than a viking]
I never realized how little information people actually retain from school, it blows my mind sometimes

pics pls

No it was awesome. I'm sorry your pleb tier band sucked.

I was too busy getting shitfaced as often as possible to play in a band back then desu.
It was a terible time. The deathroes of genuinely independent rock music.
The sad thing is that it didn't even die for a good reason. It died for shitty garage rock and even shittier Joy Division pastiches. Sad stuff.

you lived in nyc then? howd you know what was going on? what kind of band was yours? youre right i was too young to care then, i'm 20 now so you do the math

The name Leif Erikson wasn't mentioned a single time in any class I've taken in high school or college. Get over yourself faggot, you probably only know who he is because of that song anyways.

This post is implying joy division was good and wasn't just famous and "deep" cause the faggot behind it killed himself

All post punk is poseur talentless trash