Can anybody recommend some really good documentaries? Watched Planet Earth 2 last night...

Can anybody recommend some really good documentaries? Watched Planet Earth 2 last night, just watched Nobody Speak (didn't agree with alot that I saw but I still watched it all the way through) can anyone give me some of their favorites? Your 10/10s, absolute favorites. It can be nature, government, society, cultural whatever. Preferably no conspiracy theories, like alien pyramids or Zeitgeist shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3SnLGe1nitQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

King of Kong is pretty interesting, if a bit fringe.

Watch Louis Theroux documentaries, they're on the political side of things but good.

Saving all of these, thanks for the recommendations. Bump thread to get more in here

Cannibal warlords of liberia

Degenerate Art: The Art and Culture of Glass Pipes

Blackfish is supposed to be good.
I found The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill to be funny and interesting.

Seen it, pretty good, Beasts of No Nation had very strong themes that were related but I'm sad about how shit VICE is now. Their international stuff is great when they don't put their own spin on the stories and let the people speak, regardless of whether they agree with what they're saying. All of their American stuff is very biased towards liberals and democrats and full of sensationalism. Not that I have an issue with any party but being biased is never good

I'm actually close to 1 year sober from weed opiates lsd alcohol and cigarettes but I also found glassmaking very interesting. Thanks for this

Saw Blackfish, I enjoyed it but all the hype I've heard about it gave me unrealistic expectations. This is why I've held off on watching Man on a Wire. The Wild Parrots looks good but also makes me think it'll leave me feeling pretty sad and wanting to feed whatever birds I see from now on

Keep em coming anons. Give me your bests of the best. The ones that left you in a start of amazement. I'm starting a list

Watched the documentary about John MaCaffe while on acid,pretty fun tbh

In an "Enter the Void" kind of fun or a "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" kind of fun ?

Unacknowledged on Netflix.

It's Aliens/UFOs, but based more on fact and actual government agent testimony as opposed to wild conspiracies.

Hmm looks interesting. I'm in Phoenix AZ so I never truly doubt aliens, especially with the whole Phoenix lights incident (there's still weird shit that happens from time to time) but I don't like conspiracy because there's very little actual information. This looks to give some information moreso than opinion, thanks user

Bump thread for more recommendations, if this thread dies I'm going to /gif/ for a fap. So keep this thread going anons

Yeah this is one of the most legit docs I've seen, with eye-opening personal testimony from Govt employees.

youtu.be/3SnLGe1nitQ

any adam curtis

That doc you linked wasn't even that great in terms of scientific and factual standards. I thoroughly agree with the premise of the documentary but it was rather poorly supported empirically.

I think that Food Inc. is a relatively great documentary. It's in general just about the modern ag-business foodchain and how we all get so much food so easily. It reveals how much waste is in those businesses as well as how cruel they are to the life they harvest and to the environment and the people that live nearby.

Nice Quads

Yes I know, there's lot of bias and some bits of sensationalism but I liked the way it was entirely done, especially with the focus being on the speaker instead of good shots. Food Inc. is great, I watched it after a friend told me about it some months ago, I don't look at supermarkets the same but even the "organic" places are relatively shit now. Great documentary, just leaves me feeling sad and hopeless even though I got most of my family to change their eating habits

Zero Days (Stuxnet)
Deep Web (about Silk Road)
Going Clear: The Prison of Belief (Scientology)
Miso Hungry (Japanese food vs Western diet)

Man on a Wire
Happy People
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
The Bridge
Until the Light Takes Us
Senna
Chickenhawk (easily the most fucked up doc)
Crumb
Marwencol
I think We're Alone Now
Capturing the Friedmans

>The Bridge

Oof that was a rough one to watch

People in this thread have basic bitch taste in docs. The Adam Curtis guy is alright but probably needs to listen to less Radiohead.

Check out the work of Steve James, Ross McElwee, Les Blank and Errol Morris.

Also Tarnation is worth a watch.

Crumb is fucking great too.

The Red Pill was surprisingly interesting, with a surprise twist

Jiro Dreams of Sushi
The Bridge
Sake
Video Games: The Movie
The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin
Atari: Game Over
Super Size Me
Fat Sick and Nearly Dead
Deep Web

Cane Toads: An Unnatural Documentary, one of the most entertaining docs I've ever seen. It's about how they moved a bunch of Hawaiian cane toads to Australia to combat, an overwhelming insects or pest problem, and they toads not only wiped them out, but they grew to over a billion in number. They became an epidemic. It's great.

hmmm

Try a completely different doc called, "Jiro Dreams of Sushi." Nearly 50% slow mo filmed, absolutely gorgeous cinematography, etc. It's about a sushi chef that has the first 3 michelin star sushi joint in all the world. It's also about the family of said man and their endeavours. It's fantastic. Utterly mesmerizing and enjoyable from early on.

Oh yeah and , Crumb is fucking great for sure.

Nigger I beat you to it.

Great list

Actually watching right now

So Crumbs and Jiro has me hyped, looks great. Also The Bridge, I heard it about a while ago but completely forgot the title and got sucked into some other films, I actually grew up near the Bay Area and everyone knew of the jumpers, for most driving over the bridge is a landmark, American history but for me it was always a melancholy feeling thinking of all those people who went over, especially when there was traffic and you drove slow enough to see the suicide prevention posters on the actual bridge

Thank you anons, keep em coming these are some great recommendations

Yeah, The Bridge is good, it's got good genuine emotion to it, that's the kind of shit I like, real life, that's why I'll take a good doc over anything else any time.

Waltz with Bashir.

This looks great is the whole film animated?

yep. the first ever fully animated documentary. it's beautiful.

Here's another for you...

Lo and Behold
Particle Fever
Grey Gardens
Gerhard Richter Painting
I'm Still Here (1/2 documentary)
A Spell to Ward off the Darkness
Sweetgrass