Hey Sup Forums. Do you like whisky or rum? And why do alot of whisky drinkers 'look down on' rum drinkers...

Hey Sup Forums. Do you like whisky or rum? And why do alot of whisky drinkers 'look down on' rum drinkers? I really like both. So what would you identify as? Which are your favorites (brands,etc)? And what do you think of people who drink the other?

Whisky and Rum general discussion i guess.

Whiskyfag here, in fact you got my attention with the ardbeg bottle. One of my favourites all-day whiskys.

Have you ever tried the lagavulin? I havent, but ive heard people say that its a really good recommendation for people who like ardbeg.

Fagfag here, bottles would fit up my ass no problem

Whiskey then vodka

Whisky. Rum is too sweet for me.
A good old single malt is amazing.
Favorite is Brora 35 years. I save up to a bottle every 2-3 years.

Wow, thats an expensive whisky. Is it actually that good for the money? Or is it more like a collecters item?

It is actually that good. First time I tried it was a '77 my dad had. There is no other whisky like it.
Sadly I'm not rich so it's a rare treat for me.

But what exactly makes it so good? Does it have richer tastes? Is it smoother?

It's not something magic, it's just a taste I can't find anywhere else.
It has this amazing thick smoke /ash taste mixed with what I can only describe as the sea. Salt and seaweed mixed with old wood.

Yeah, of course. Have tried all Islay Whiskys.

I enjoy scotch, but the only islay I've had is laphroaig, and that tasted like dental equipment. Is that just a shit islay or is it just not for my palate?

Which one would you say is your favorite? Ive only had the ardbeg so far. Ive also had the talisker, which isnt an islay, but it supposedly fits into that category in terms of peaty taste (or atleast thats what ive been told).

Lol, i remember at being at one of those tasting events when i was younger, and i dont remember the brand/type, but there was 1 whisky i tasted and i sweat that tasted like some kind of weird medicine or whatever. Dental equipment might have been the right description. I am really wondering now whether it was the laphroaif or not. Anyway, i have tried the ardbeg, which is an islay and that really doesnt have that weird medicinal taste.

Dental equipment... ok... but yeah, thats the phenol from the peat. That's what islay is all about (ok, there are some whiskys with less peat).
So i guess that just isn't for you.

Depents. Talisker is to... harsh, i guess. Ardbeg 10 my all day whisky. Coal Ila is also fine (greatest still room on the isle, the view is just amazing).
Some Octomore (from Bowmore) or Ardbeg Supernova really kicks ass :-)

Cannabis daily is superior. Went 2 months not drinking like nothing, drank 2 nights ago and it was a waste. Weed is better and way healthier.

Whiskey. Less hangovers, better flavor, doesn't make me wince when i drink it straight

Could be a Laphroig. Or anything peaty.
Ether you love it, or hate it.

Is ballentine's any good?

lol, maybe that's just the thing of it then. I've avoided every islay since then because of that one bottle. Like shit tequila still tastes like tequila, so my thinking was a nice bottle of islay would taste like high end dental equipment. I'll give ardbeg a try.

I juuuuuuuuuust finished a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 a few minutes before I saw this thread. Washing it down with a Heady Topper. I appreciate rum but as a person from the states, whiskey is the way to go.

>Do you like whisky or rum?
yes

>why do alot of whisky drinkers 'look down on' rum drinkers?
different pallets and the familiarity trap
whiskey drinkers get used to the bitter taste and dry feel of whiskey, so they they don't like the sweetness and stickiness of rum

>Which are your favorites?
whiskey
Laproaigh is fucking amazing
I currently have a bottle of Lagavulin single malt 16 and Aberlour single malt A'bunadh
the Lagavulin is closer to the Laproaigh with the peaty taste
the Aberlour is very sweet for a Scotch
almost every Scotch that I've tried that costs more than $60/750mL I've loved
Irish whiskeys depend on the brand
there are a few Canadian and Japanese whiskeys I like
most bourbons (aka American moonshine whiskey) taste like absolute shit to me and I will never again drink a whiskey made of corn mash

rum
Kraken and Sailor Jerry's are my favorite on the cheap
Pyrat is amazingly sweet and smooth, I once downed an entire bottle myself in one night w/o realizing it until I started puking it back up, but it tasted almost as good coming up as it did going down
for just straight rum I prefer dark spiced
for mixers I prefer white
I absolutely can't stand coconut rum, but that is because I can't stand coconuts

>what do you think of people who drink the other?
drink what you like
but don't let that stop you from trying something different
and don't hate on people for not liking what you like

I call it a "pocket flask" kind of whisky.
Not for finer moments but good enough to drink when needed.

No

This is funny. Ive actually had a period in my life where i smoked lots of weed and i am really glad that i stopped doing it now. I can fully see that if you compare the health effects etc etc it makes no sense that alcohol is legal in most of the world while weed isnt. But really, weed just fucks your life up when it comes to motivation. It puts you into this fucking bubble where you eventually start losing all lust for life and want to do nothing else then just sit at home and smoke weed. All of my friends who smoked weed everyday for years (and im dutch, so its alot) have had this. And those who still smoke everyday still have this. They just live at their parents, play videogames and smoke weed. Some of them got a part time job because their mom forced them to, and thats about it.

Or if you desperatly want something in your coke.

But ardbeg is really peaty and i dont feel like this taste is present. When i taste ardbeg is just taste the smoke etc. It doesnt make me think about anything medicinal. Or could it be that i just got older, and that if i were to taste a laphroaig again, that i would probably also like it?

Whisky drinkers hate rum because it's like going from unsweet tea to sweet tea. It's just overwhelming. If you start with sweet tea though you'd think unsweet is disgusting. It just comes down to what you started with really. Both are great in their own ways.

Holy Shit are you serious?

Oh and as far as whisky goes:
Daily: Glenlivet 12. Nothing even compares at it's price range. Perfectly balanced and easy to drink.

Others i enjoy: Tullamore Dew (irish), Collingwood (Canadian), Even Williams Single Barrel (bourbon), and Monkey Shoulder (blended Malt). All of these are great bang for buck.

Fancy good time whisky: Glenlivet 18. Good god it's amazing.

I drink brandy...

Is it necessary to decant whisky before drink?

Islay whiskys are typically very peaty right?

I have been drinking whiskey straight for a couple of years. To be honest, the peaty ones are my least favourite. Are they something that grows on you??

I've just got through a laphroaig and honestly I just did not enjoy those peaty flavours.

My favourite drop at the moment is The Balvenie, but I would like to extend my palate as the years go on.

Nope, it actually lowers its shelf life by doing that too. It's just a way to present your whisky in a nicer fashion. If you want to "prepare" whisky, add a couple of drops of water into your glass (after you pour the whisky) to open it up a bit.

depends on the whiskey
but letting a glass breathe for a minute or two never hurts as long as you aren't chilling it with ice

Seconding this question - is there any purpose to this?

IMO the Evan Williams bottled in bond is far superior to the single barrel.

Peat is definitely an acquired taste. Noone starts drinking coffee black. Noone starts drinking heavy peated whisky at first either. It grows on you because the more you drink whisky, the more you want stronger flavors, and peat is the easiest strong flavor to get into whisky.

The Laphroig is a litte different. It vanishes so fast after trinking it. Ardbeg stays present for minutes or even longer.

>is there any purpose to this?
decanting an entire bottle is what this user said
>It's just a way to present your whisky in a nicer fashion

letting a glass breathe before drinking it lets the whiskey settle and fills the glass with the whiskey's scent letting your nose enjoy it before it touches your tongue
a drop or two of distilled water or water straight from a spring that you like the taste of does mostly the same thing

>The Balvenie
Oh hell, the "Cuban/Caribieen Cask" Balvenie is the only Speyside i own. that's a great one, too.

If the peat isn't your's it will take looooong (if ever) to start liking it. As said before, hate it or love it. I love it, but i can understand the people hating it, it's something very special... don't think many will get from hate to used to loved.

I'm spoiled as fuck. I have a hot springs near by that I bottle water from. It has some heavy as fuck mineral content too and has it's own super unique flavor. Dipping that in my whisky just makes it explode and i love it

Sup Forums seems to be firmly in the whiskey camp tonight. Myself included, though I'm a bourbon man.

nothing wrong with bourbon. A lot of people don't realize you can't get some amazing flavor for cheaper. Hoity toity scotch drinkers can fuck off. I only spend $20 a bottle for some tasty shit.

Ye, but tbh, there are always more whisky than rum lovers, no matter where you ask.

What do you main? I've been fucking with the Evan Williams BiB mentioned earlier, though I'd rather have Rittenhouse Rye BiB when I find it.