Best out of the "grunge" four

>Alice in Chains
>Nirvana
>Pearljam
>Soundgarden
I'd prolly say aic because they seem like a happy blend of them all, with Nirvana being the most distinctive and different than other groups of the time

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MAqOb9Yxx5Q
youtube.com/watch?v=pzVgIop0f0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=IusEhJXlCOA
youtube.com/watch?v=p9PmDAqXYN0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

AiC>Nirvana>Soundgarden>Pile of shit>Pearl Jam

you'd have to be mentally ill to put pearl jam above soundgarden

NIRVANA>sg>aic>pearl jam

Soundgarden you fucking scrubs.

soundgarden = nirvana > alice in chains >>> pearl jam

S O U N D G A R D E N

alice>soundgarden=nirvana>>>>>>>>>>>pearl jam

I agree with this user

>Chris Cornell is still dead

you're not going to get another vocalist like that in your lifetime

Most objective list
Nirvana > AiC > Soundgarden > Stone Temple Pilots
Remove Pearl Jam cause they suck

Alice = Soundgarden >>>> Nirvana > Pearl Jam

Why does everyone hate Pearl Jam so much? They aren't my favorite, but I still think they are alright. Is this just some sentiment that has carried over from the grunge era?

Personal list
Nirvana>SG>AiC>Pj
Sound garden and Alice are on even ground for me, Alice had more technicalities but Soundgarden had great hits and singles

Do people not consider Stone Temple Pilots grunge? I always did until I played Rock Band and saw their songs not in the list of grunge tracks.

STP started out copying Pearl Jam so I don't know why they wouldn't be considered grunge (despite Core being better than any PJ album imo)

Core was definitely grunge. they started coming into their own with tiny music though. weiland had a very versatile voice the guy could imitate anyone. he's done doors, nirvana and zeppelin covers. just look them up on youtube to see what i mean

here i'll make it easier for you:
youtube.com/watch?v=MAqOb9Yxx5Q

youtube.com/watch?v=pzVgIop0f0Y

youtube.com/watch?v=IusEhJXlCOA

really underrated singer

Copying Grunge bands makes you Post-Grunge.

It's just Nirvana babbies larping as their idol "kurdt"

No, playing grunge after the death of Nirvana makes you post-grunge, or grunge with even more pop hooks and pop song structures.

But mostly playing grunge after Nirvana died.

Weiland was a chameleon and later STP albums sounded nothing like 'grunge'. they tried to get away from that sound as much as possible. plus weiland had his own solo albums and velvet revolver. he proved himself to be more than just some copy cat

"No"

Bleach is such a good album

Aic
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Stop
Pearl jam

Stop should be stp

Yes?
How does playing another band's music make them a different genre of music?

That makes literally no sense.

Nirvana didn't invent grunge you fuckwit
educate yourself

Grunge isn't a genre, it's a scene.
If you weren't part of it then you aren't part of it.

???

After Nirvana died every record label under the sun signed a post-grunge band to be the next Nirvana, these bands emphasized pop friendly song structures and hooks in order to be more radio friendly.

The death of Nirvana is literally the point at which post-grunge was created. Do even a mild bit of research, please; I implore you.

>Grunge isn't a genre, it's a scene.
The only poster in this entire thread that know's what the fuck he's talking about

Completely agree with you, desu
But I since this thread is already about grunge, I'm just operating in those parameters

Hey bud, I see you mixed up the order let me fix it for you: Pile of shit > all of those bands.

>Grunge isn't a genre, it's a scene.
Wrong. Explain why Grunge sounds distinct from other genres, even punk.

Shouldn't you be doing that since you think it is a genre?

they were the life of grunge but they didn't invent it. soundgarden made their first full album the year that nirvana made their first demo, and they made their first demo four years before.

Nirvana >=AiC > Soundgarden > STP > Silver hair > Pearl Jam(not because "they suck" meme, but I found them to be the less memorable of the Grunge scene, still ok tho)

I'm not saying Nirvana invented it, but they were certainly the biggest. So much so that record labels found huge incentive to fill the void that Nirvana left with a shit ton of pop-rock bands with dirty guitars and slightly muddy, hard hitting drums.

You don't have to start something to end it.

The labels signing bands like that happened as soon as Nevermind and Ten was a success, just like every fad. They didn't wait until he died, by then it had been almost 3 years since he had a top 10 hit, so that would be a waste of a business opportunity.
Post grunge is any band not from Seattle that played and dressed like the Seattle bands because it was the new fad of the time.
STP, Bush, the list goes on
Nirvana was already emphasizing pop friendly hooks and structures so I don't know what the fuck you're on about there.

Jonathan Poneman and Bruce Pavitt trolled the fuck out of all of you.
youtube.com/watch?v=p9PmDAqXYN0

What? I said Grunge is it's own genre because it sounds different than other genres.

>Post grunge is any band not from Seattle
With that logic, than that would mean Nirvana and AIC were post Grunge because they didn't originate from Seattle.

You don't have to end something to start something else.
Thinking all that started after he died shows you don't know what was going on.
Why would labels wait to "fill the void"? He was only on one label, all other labels are just sitting on their hands at the time? That's not how businesses work.

You said it's wrong to say that grunge isn't a genre, but then asked someone who doesn't think it's a genre to explain why it's distinct from other genres when their point is that it does not.

They did originate in Seattle though.
They were in the fucking Seattle scene.
>b-but they weren't born there
fuck off kid.

You both do raise points, I guess it's something that I'm going to look into further. Truthfully, the semantics of grunge existing as a genre (and by extension post-grunge) is pretty convoluted and obnoxious.

FPBP

>Nirvana literally went to Seattle because of the booming of Grunge
>AiC were literally a 80s glam band that decided to go into Seattle like a gold rush

AIC literally formed in Seattle
This is pointless discussion, you and I both know they were part of the Seattle scene and STP never was at any point.

Well, if it's not a genre, than why isn't there another genre that sounds and feels the same? Simply put, Grunge is a genre by default because there is no other genre like it.

How do the grunge bands sound similar?
What are the defining characteristics that connect them all?
What separates them from other alternative rock bands like STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction, etc, etc?
What separates them musically from Post Grunge other than them being better?

Grunge has a lot of fuzz and distortion and also more gritty and nihilistic vocals. I would also classify it as a mixture of punk and classic rock because there is sometimes fast and changing pinky riffs(like nirvana) while there is also more classic rock chords progressions with more traditional rock soloing( like Pearl Jam)

There are many flavors of Grunge, yeah, but it's still Grunge no matter how you put it.

rate my grunge

This

Mudhoney weren't Grunge.

Jawbreaker is some grunge

Shut the fuck up

>Mixture of Punk and Classic rock
Then why is Alice in Chains considered grunge when they're straight up alt-metal that borders on sludge metal (with their s/t album actually being sludge metal)?
Why is Nirvana's Nevermind grunge and their live album MTV Unplugged grunge when one is literally just acoustic rock?

This second point also applies to AiC with their acoustic rock live album MTV Unplugged and acoustic rock EP Jar of flies

Nirvana>Soundgarden>Alice>Pearl Jam
Though Soundgarden did have the crowning album of the whole genre/movement thing.
This is the final objective truth.

If you ask me Mudhoney is one of the purest representations of "grunge" as a genre of its own and not just a vague corporate label.

Nirvana > Soundgarden > Pearl Jam > Alice In Chains

The metal inspiration of AiC is also a flavor of Grunge. Notice how they still carried the same elements of Grunge mentioned earlier? Distortion overload, nihilistic/gritty vocals and lyrics, etc. It's basically Grunge but with metal.

As for the unplugged stuff, that was just for marketing since the songs used were Grunge but done accuastic.

Early Pearl Jam represents the last gasp of of what grunge was going against more than anything.

You're all wrong

SG > AIC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PJ >>>>>> N

>*It's basically Grunge but replacing the punk element with metal.

umm, no, not really.

Yeah they were. It manifested itself similarly in some ways to the rest of what was happening in Seattle, but that was mostly aesthetic and lyrical. I don't even dislike them, but imagine Ten without Vedder's voice. That's some funk metal shit.

Not to mention the Mother Love Bone lineage. That already was the last gasp of hair metal shit, even though they somewhat transcended it by trying to keep it alive.

Nirvana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Soundgarden > Pearl Jam >>>>>>>> Nickelback >>>>>> Alice in Chains

This is literally a top10 grunge album

>look at this photograph starts playing

Different album dipshit

I'm sure it's better than people might think since they're such a meme. The first Creed album is like that. Top 25 maybe?

>never made it as a wise man starts playing

TAD>>>>>Soundgarden>Bleach era Nirvana>Pearl Jam>AIC>post-Bleach Nirvana
Curb and The State are far superior, user.

Nirvana > AiC >> Soundgarden >>> Pearl Jam

Smashing pumpkins deserve the 4th spot way more than stone temple pilots

Honestly I think they're bad because I heard they were good and then listened to ten and thought it sucked complete ass