youtube.com/watch?v=ctmaapt68Lg
youtube.com/watch?v=8x_Pa9BxdgE
youtube.com/watch?v=Ol4Dko3rw28
youtube.com/watch?v=LWqAKyXePv8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ITs hard to be constantly creative or inspired

poor people can't relate to the "problems" of successful people

kings of leon

Well I can definitely agree with you there but I notice huge thematic shifts in sound and content for later albums. A good example of this is Lydia whose later content has become generic pop trash, both content-wise and sound, which blows my fuckin' mind.

Why do numales insist on wearing suits even when they look ridiculous?

They kept getting worse and worse right after "Soon Over Babaluma". How can a band that made this: youtu.be/2dZbAFmnRVA go on to make something like this? youtu.be/96QPxT92lQ8

When you're signed to a label, they make you release material, even if it's bad.

Earth & Fire.

Started as a psychedelic/progressive rock band, ended as a disco/light pop rock band.

From this:
youtube.com/watch?v=ctmaapt68Lg

to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=8x_Pa9BxdgE

I appreciate everyone's opinions and posts thus far.

It's disappointing how much Silversun Pickups have fallen. Their early sound was so good.

Bands grow and become influenced by different things. They also become more professional musicians as well. Touring can change any artists approach to music. The most difficult choice to navigate is to stay the same and get complaints that the releases are too static or try new things and hope your risks pay off. To be fair when a band changes their sound, it fails to click with the audience in most cases.

Nikki is still a qt though, and she has a lovely voice

youtube.com/watch?v=Ol4Dko3rw28

Yeah. It's like
>I got into X band because of Y sound
>they change to Z sound
Why even stay with them at that point?

!

lots of reasons

one of them being that a band has their whole life to write their first album (and sometimes have songs left over from them for a second) but once you get that out of you you're completely empty again and if you have a contract to fulfill or no other way of making a living you have to start writing and get another album out in at most two years

i notice this a lot in modern indie pop/indie rock.
an acclaimed and well received first (and occasionally second) album and then years of uninspired mediocre schlock. it's really sad to see, even if you haven't heard or aren't a fan of the particular band.

It's because people hate new things and when artists abandon the formula the listener has become accustomed to. It's why when 3 years pass, suddenly everyone likes the album they all said sucked at first.

They had a surprising amount of several solid albums/EPs until they succumbed to shit with their most recent two albums.
sadfrog.exe

Metallica

>one of them being that a band has their whole life to write their first album
usually the band that makes it big isn't their first band though...

I mean, it's a cover song, and it's really not that bad
now this on the other hand showcases just how much they sold out
youtube.com/watch?v=LWqAKyXePv8

Er, their most recent album.

SPK. They made Leichenshrei, the definitive Industrial album, and died making uninspired synthpop garbage

I never knew that SPK made synthpop shit later on, and I resent you for making me aware of that.

Just get haircuts, trim beards and dress better

One theory is that they become happy

SPK basically turned into a path for Graeme Revell to become a Hollywood music producer. More people may have heard his work in CSI: Miami than they have as SPK

Debut album has an unlimited amount of time to develop. No deadlines. The songs are already there and can incubate for as long as you want.
Also, artists tend to run out of ideas really quickly.

i.e. Sleigh Bells

One cool thing I've noticed is that if that doesn't happen, usually the reverse does. An artist makes a shitty debut album and slowly gets better over time. This seems to be happening with Adult Jazz, for example. Car Seat Headrest can also fit under this category I guess.