Why do they pay so much money for scraps from other leagues? Are they literally retarded?

Why do they pay so much money for scraps from other leagues? Are they literally retarded?

Other urls found in this thread:

cbssports.com/soccer/news/look-the-top-10-highest-paid-players-in-mls-with-kaka-leading-the-way/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because old washed up players would rather spend the twilight of their careers in NYC, LA, or Orlando. Especially since most people in the US have no idea who they are, so they can live in relative anonymity.

Teams are willing to sign them because they sell tickets.

idk what that other league is

Youth development in both countries is poor, so domestic players aren't very good, and neither league has the prestige for world class players in their primes to want to play there.
MLS has at least become a destination for promising young players from Central America, and is gradually scooping up more South American players particularly Argentines. Very few incoming players are elderly yuros at this point, so the league is outgrowing the retirement league moniker.
China is also moving toward signing younger players in their primes, and it's able to attract bigger names (like Oscar) by offering obscene amounts of money. Businessmen buy soccer teams because it helps them get favor with the communist party leadership, who are big soccer fans.

Chinese Super League

I remember that one article in which Thierry Henry said he liked playing in NYC because he could walk around in very public spaces and even take the subway without being recognized.

>Businessmen buy soccer teams because it helps them get favor with the communist party leadership, who are big soccer fans.

Now, that's interesting

>poolinho
>scrap

Gerrard said the same thing about LA.

Gerrard I can understand. But youd think that in a city as global as NYC, hed get recognized almost instantly everywhere.

By he I mean Thierry Henry

It's probably nice getting noticed a little bit by people who are genuine fans, than getting swarmed by paparazzi like he would in england

ayy league on non retarded watch

I have no idea who Thierry Henry is and I live in NYC

>MLS
>Spending money
MLS clubs get old Euros because American cities are nice places to live, we speak english and we don't have horrible race relations, we just have overblown media hype.

cbssports.com/soccer/news/look-the-top-10-highest-paid-players-in-mls-with-kaka-leading-the-way/

That's also a cultural thing with those cities, you don't acknowledge famous people, even if you notice them.

because said players wouldn't want to play there if the money was not big enough to motivate them?

m8 fuck off with that nonsense. Celebrities get noticed and mobbed in any big city in this country. Taylor Swift isn't going to walk around Madison Avenue and be ignored by everyone.

ehh depends on the celeb. there are famous people all over both cities who simply walk around. uninhibited. if they aren't the people that get spammed on supermarket checkout magazines, they don't get mobbed desu

OK i see where you're coming from. People like Selena Gomez and Colbert and Martha Stewart can simply get noticed but be otherwise avoided, but superstars and always relevant permacelebs aren't going to avoid drawing a crowd unless they walk around in disguise.

yessuh

Implying you wouldn't like to see European stars here.

Corinthians tried Drogba. Atletico wanted Anelka. Botafogo signed Seedorf.

>Canada got Drogba
Don't know why this still rustles my jimmies

MLS hasn't done that shit in years.

>Gerrard
>Silva
>Giovinco
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>""""""""""""""years"""""""""""""

Schweinsteiger, retard.

They have

But not near the scale China did

Chicago signing Schweinsteiger was a publicity stunt. They've been having a hard time drawing people to games, the hope is that Schweini will generate interest

If it's any consolation, he's apparently set to join a team in the USL

yeah, i recognize henry alright. held the team back for 5 years and did he cute highlight reel goals vs teams like chicago while choking every time in the playoffs

>this guy takes MLS seriously
find help