Why are musicians such fags...

Why are musicians such fags? "Look I'm wearing a glove! xD my hair is le pinko!" and I thought artists were the biggest faggots but then I met musicians.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p9GAEFTeWko
youtube.com/watch?v=BJKpUH2kJQg
youtube.com/watch?v=YU4gZjiVPkI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You better not pick on my boy Layne.

bait thread

If theres one person who can make pink hair badass it was LAyne.

Also motherfucking hide.

youtube.com/watch?v=p9GAEFTeWko

godlike

what do you mean by this?

wearing gloves to hide his rotten fingers is perfectly acceptable.

Heroin

Commercial music is targeted at demographics through aesthetics. That's all there is to it. Also, acts that have core themes and concepts often have a theatrical element to their performance. Then you have metal bands who all dress in metal uniforms.
The best bands generally just wear whatever they want.

Yes but some bands try to have an "anti-image" image and they dress borderline fucking impoverished under the pretense that they dress like "normal people" when that totally isn't what normal people dress like

dude heroin lmao
grunge was fucking retarded and everyone who bought into the idea of "anti-rockstars" when they were just regular morons who made their labels and managers rich

I can't even imagine what he must have looked like in his last days

>creative people don't submit to anons ideas
OH NO! DEM FAGS!

imagine working full-time as a musician and not dressing like an idiot

Sure if you only look at it's marketing. Bands like Alice in Chains and Soundgarden had songs written infinitely better than most of the 80s hair metal

This was taken about 4 years before he died. He looks absolutely terrible here, and he lived a 4 years beyond this. Apparently his mom took a photo of him a few months before he died, but it hasn't been released.

I dunno he doesn't look that bad in that pic. I'm sure if he opened his mouth or took off his gloves he would, though.

I remember the first time I noticed his teeth during Unplugged.
Christ alive.

>metal gear solid t shirt
I read he played a lot of vidya before and during his reclusive years

Name a girl who wouldn't do a 'faggot-looking' musician tho

>the retarded friends

I had that picture saved years ago and never noticed

But musicians ARE artists....?

>On the rare occasions that he ventured out of his home, where he gorged on videogames whenever he wasn’t gorging on drugs, Staley cut a hard figure: Abscesses covered his arms, and he’d lost most of his teeth. “He looked like an 80-year-old version of himself,” Seattle music journalist Jeff Gilbert told Prato. “His skin was grey, dark circles under his eyes. He had already lost a finger or two from his veins collapsing and not getting enough circulation to his hands …
Not sure if legit, but wew.

It's probably at least relative accurate. Most people aren't very aware, but Layne wasn't a total shut in during his last years. He lived above a bar, and at least once a week would hang out there for a few hours at a time. He was in such a bad state that no one ever recognized him.

Think about that: Layne Staley wasn't recognizable to people in a Seattle bar, some of which probably had an idea he lived nearby. That says a lot about how bad he was.

slow motion suicide

I wonder what state of mind you have to be in to not even give a fuck about seeing your body decay like that and do nothing about it in spite of being a millionaire.

there is nothing noteworthy about a glove and pink hair, i dont know why OP is bringing it up

>On April 19, 2002, Staley's accountants contacted Staley's former manager, Susan Silver, and informed her that no money had been withdrawn from the singer's bank account in two weeks. Silver then contacted Staley's mother, Nancy McCallum, who alerted the police.[61] The police, McCallum and her ex-husband, Jim Elmer,[3] went to Staley's home, where Staley was found dead.

>It was reported that the 6-foot (1.8 m) Staley weighed only 86 pounds (39 kg) when his body was discovered.

gosh

He died on April 5 though, how much weight loss can be attributed to decomposition (and possibly predation by rats and cockroaches)?

w2c without buying the premium package??

Not enough to be significant, especially in such a short amount of time.

I've mentioned this on countless places on the internet, but AIC was the band that helped me through one of the toughest parts in my life; middle and high school. As an unpopular kid who was constantly dealing with the side effects of medication for ADD (such as mood swings, depression, and thoughts of suicide), Alice in Chains helped me through it all. Though my tastes in music continuously evolve, Alice will always right there at the top. Even though Layne's last years were probably filled with suffering and regret, he had and still is helping so many people with the music he helped create.

Their music only really sounds good to me when I feel like shit.

Perks of always feeling like shit.

For me it's only 50% of the time, since I sleep another 30% I'd rather listen to something else 20% of the time.

You dont care if youre an addict.

I'd imagine there would be some conflict between the addiction and the self-preservation instinct.

>Alice will always right there at the top.
Even the dog shit that the other band members have shat out since Layne's death with their half assed Layne imitator?

@74961895
Mediocre bait

You don't experience the self-preservation instinct, because you're on drugs.

Kill yourself, newfag

But their new albums are really good, plus Cantrell is the new lead singer anyway, not DuVall.

>newfag calling others newfag
lurk more, buddy

"Devo are no more costumed onstage than Bruce Springsteen."

-- Gerald Casale

>But their new albums are really good
No, it isn't.

>calling someone a newfag for calling out a newfag for not knowing how to link posts
lurk more, newfag

>>not knowing how to link posts
>doesn't know what that user was doing
you are the newfag. Lurk more.

>No, it isn't.
Yes they are.

No, they aren't.

They're definitely good.

>The best bands generally just wear whatever they want

Take for example Sonic Youth in this mid-80s photo. No giant rock star hair, leather, studs, Day-Glo, spandex, crotch stuffing, or any of the usual 80s bullshit. They look like auto mechanics. You couldn't really tell what year the pic was taken either, while if you looked at a picture of, like, KISS, you'd know oh that's 1984-85 totes.

They're definitely garbage.

It always bugged me when rock critics like Christgau would talk about how much more "authentic" that alternative bands were for wearing their street clothes onstage instead of dressing like Poison. It's basically saying your image and clothing is more important than the music.

No good band worth listening to has ever dressed like Poison though.

Well, Eminem said the thing that drew him into hip-hop (keeping in mind that he was an 80s kid) was that anyone could rap without ridiculous costumes, thousands of dollars worth of hair spray, and thousands of dollars worth of expensive equipment, and rappers talked about real life instead of sci-fi, Satan, nuclear war, etc.

Shit, he sounds just like a Christgau column.

Hair metal was a mistake.

A G P
G
P

Is hair metal responsible for rap being popular nowadays?

I'm sure it had some minute effects in it. If any rock/metal is responsible for more attention being brought to rap it's nu-metal, post-grunge, pop-punk, and brit-pop

Of course he also grew up poor and couldn't afford a guitar like a suburban middle class kid.

Literally every rock group that wasn't an alternative/punk act wore this same generic "rock star" hairstyle for over 20 fucking years, it only vanished during the grunge era.

Lyl it's pretty ridiculously easy to figure out Christgau's opinion of a band. Look at a photo of the band and see if they had that rock star haircut. If they did, he probably shit on them.

And actually, even Eddie Vedder had rock star hair in the beginning, I think he dropped it after Pearl Jam really got big.

yeah what's with that haircut. like, where did it originate and become a rock band requirement?

Eddie, Kurt, Chris and even Layne all had long ass hair at some point in the '80s

he really just had long hair. It wasn't permed and styled like all these 80s bands were.

You've obviously never been on drugs. Stay that way, homie. I'm proud of ya

>Eddie Vedder had rock star hair in the beginning
Wait, what? Vedder never sported a hair band-style perm, his hair is just curly. Same with the guys in Metallica, for that matter. I'm not sure why you used them as an example of "rock star hair," unless you just have a problem with rock musicians having long hair.

Like most stuff in music, probably something some guy in a band did in the early 70s and everyone else just copied it until it became ridiculous.

Kind of like the New York Dolls. Dressing in drag was pretty edgy in 1972, but by the late 80s you wished that David Johansen's mom had aborted him.

Well, no. I listened to some of Jerry's solo work and enjoyed it to an extent, but I mean their work with Layne. Haven't given their new stuff a try even though I've heard some good things about Black Gives Way To Blue.

This. And Layne wanted it that way. He stopped caring about living after his ex-fiance died. Pretty much everyone agrees that he spent those years waiting to die.

Probably Robert Plant, except his hair was naturally like that and it was the early 70s and everyone was a fucking hippie.

Kurt Cobain looked like Tom Petty a lot more than he did, like, Paul Stanley or something.

>it only vanished during the grunge era.

Grunge was generic rock music as well.
I still have no idea how so many people bought into that grunge killed the traditional rockstar, that "grunge bands were all losers and outcasts who looked nothing like rockstars, they were real people man!".
Kurt Cobain, Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, Layne Staley, these guys were the most stereotypical fucking MTV-friendly pretty-boy rockstars ever. There was nothing subversive about any of them whatsoever. They signified nothing except for the death of one trend(puffed up hair and spandex pants) and the arrival of another (flannel shirts and stubble).
You read interviews with Kurt Cobain where he's shitting on Axl Rose because "there's always been an Axl Rose as along as rock music existed" and you can't believe how completely and utterly bereft of self-awareness the guy is.

Even fucking Oasis have more of a claim to having "killed the traditional rockstar", since those guys genuinely were ugly, poor, unfashionable losers.

youtube.com/watch?v=BJKpUH2kJQg

He got that from Roger Daltrey.

Yep.

I have this notion that Led Zeppelin is to hard/glam rock as Pearl Jam is to post-grunge buttrock. They pioneered the idea of a hard rock band that has a blonde faggy looking dude who sings cheesy songs about love while the guitarist plays distorted riffs and wanky solos.

>You read interviews with Kurt Cobain where he's shitting on Axl Rose because "there's always been an Axl Rose as along as rock music existed" and you can't believe how completely and utterly bereft of self-awareness the guy is.
Fake feud invented by Geffen, the label both Nirvana and Guns were on.

Pretty much this. It was rebellious back in the 60s for guys to have long hair. On top of maybe cutting their hair didn't fit their schedule or they didn't care enough to cut it. Look at Jim Morrison, Robert Plant, etc. It stuck through the 70s. Eventually got in style. Didn't have the rebellious touch to it as much anymore. More people had it so people would start styling it. Look at the big foofy hair of the 80s. It caught on with the metal crowd particularly hence "hair" metal. Grunge deconstructed caring about styling hair.

>I have this notion that Led Zeppelin is to hard/glam rock as Pearl Jam is to post-grunge buttrock
You're not wrong but both those bands are were good. If they weren't they wouldn't have caught on.

And that picture would predate MTV by a couple years, so one can't blame them for originating poofy rock star hair, the shit had been the norm since the early 70s for all metal/arena rock bands.

Pearl Jam is so bleh. Vedder's voice is annoying and their songs are mostly boring momrock.

>There was nothing subversive about any of them whatsoever.
Except for how Pearl Jam stopped making music videos, tried to stop Ticketmaster from monopolizing, and deliberately released weird albums that were intended to alienate people and get them out of the spotlight.

Seriously, for as much as Pearl Jam is remembered a bland, corporate rock band, they were the only one of the big grunge bands that actually tried to be subversive and worked against their fame. Kurt (pretty ironically) really did a PR hit job on them by constantly shitting on them during his MTV interviews.

>Fake feud invented by Geffen, the label both Nirvana and Guns were on.

Nah, the feud was entirely invented by Cobain. Rose openly loved Nirvana and wanted them to tour with GNR, at least initially.
The fact that Cobain felt the urge to shit on them whenever he could despite being on the same label with them just goes to show how delusional he was.

I was a teenager back then and Pearl Jam fans were mostly girls; dudes listened to other bands.

HEY JEWEMY, HOW WAS KWASS TODAY?

>these guys were the most stereotypical fucking MTV-friendly pretty-boy rockstars ever
They were the original "MTV" stars and their success brought in a bunch of cheap imitators. Kind of a flandersization of the MTV star image. if you really look into these individuals they were a lot more textured than what followed suit. They all just happened to be blessed with good genetics that could pull off the unkempt look.

Haha epic :D

>tfw gf's favorite band is Pearl Jam
>Pearl Jam shows I've gone to with her have always had at least 50% more girls than any other rock band's shows
Why do women love Pearl Jam so much?

Cobain actually killed himself rather than become a mainstream commercialized sellout. By 1994, stores in the mall were literally stocking "grunge fashion" with flannel shirts and ripped jeans. When he saw what was happening, he became so despondent that he took his own life.

Their music was softer and not as abrasive as Alice in Chains or Pantera. Duh.

Layne's work with Alice in Chains and Mad Season were impressive and Grunge. He has fantastic harmonies and the body of the music itself provoked so much thought in me. Typically it made me feel like shit or put me in a dark, gloomy mood. But that is what also helps spark my own creativity. Grunge made you feel a certain way and that is what makes it special.

Where? I've been to two Pearl Jam shows and they were both complete sausagefests; everyone there was middle aged, too.

Southern Brazil, oddly enough.

>they were both complete sausagefests everyone there was middle aged
I think you'd find most rock concerts are like that now. It's about what's popular in the mainstream.

Oh no. No no no no no. Don't you fucking pull this excuse.

>he didn't know he was becoming a mainstream sellout when he signed with Geffen, shot music videos, wrote songs with catchy hooks, went on MTV, etc

>Cobain actually killed himself rather than become a mainstream commercialized sellout.

Cobain immediately became a mainstream commercialized sellout who thought nothing of calling up MTV executives and threatening them because he thought MTV didn't play Nirvana videos enough and touring with the Red Hot Chili Peppers(the biggest macho band of the early 90s) while at the same time shitting on Guns 'N' Roses(the biggest macho band of the late 80s).
The first fucking thing Cobain did upon winning his first MTV award was thanking Geffen.

youtube.com/watch?v=YU4gZjiVPkI

The guy was a massive loser.

At the same time while he was touring with RHCP, he said in one interview "We need to be on the lookout for false alternative 'macho metal'" The interviewer asked him "You mean like the Chili Peppers?" and he said "Exactly."

>It's basically saying your image and clothing is more important than the music.

Saying a band is "authentic" isn't the same as saying their music is good. Band's that just wore their street clothes didn't feel the need to be theatrical in their presentation, they just let th music speak for itself.

Also, don't let opinions of idiots like Christgau get to you. The guy's a pretentious snob who has pleb-tier taste.