How would Sup Forums define "Dad rock"? Do you like it? What are your favorite songs of the genre?

How would Sup Forums define "Dad rock"? Do you like it? What are your favorite songs of the genre?

put shortly: mostly blues rock and hard rock from the '60s, '70s' and '80s (also some prog and roots rock bands, i guess)
i like some of it, but there's a lot of shitty dad rock
favorite "dad rock" bands: ccr, early dire straits, roger waters' pink floyd
it's a silly and perhaps vague term, but people get way too worked up about it

Dadrock just means the generic shitty radio rock from the 70s-80s that middle aged men listen to while washing their cars like Bob Seger and John Mellencamp.

You take that back about CCR, they're amazing.

just like most dad rock

My dad's a weirdo that likes Talking Heads, The Police, Pet Shop Boys, The Smiths, Talk Talk (yes, including post-rock Talk Talk) and New Order. Last time I saw him he had fallen in love with Ride's Nowhere, which I gave to him as a gift. So I guess for me dadrock is 80's stuff? Honestly, it's a pretty weird definition.

I think he said he likes CCR too.

Dadrock is stuff like "Kiss" or "AC/DC" the most generic rock you can think of, Pink Floyd doesn't fit that term.

anything made before 1990 is dad rock

60s and 70s music, it's all dadrock

nowadays they're just calling it "rock"

this

Everything that isn't hip-hop

Some just say any rock from the 60s-80s. Sometimes it's specifcally more hardrock like Led Zeppelin, I would go with the first definition.

bait

>weirdo
that's all pretty generic stuff for dads of the right age for it
almost every man in my family of a certain age loves all that stuff

Breeders- cannon ball

Are you that guy who was on r9k yesterday talking about your dad

Stuff my dad quite literally listens to.
Mostly 70s-80s blues and rock.

steely dan is the ultimate dadrock band, and they're great

unless it's mompop

At home, yes. In the car, it's Boston.

I feel like Boston's debut has the quintessential dad rock sound.

What would you say is that age?
I don't even go on /r9k/.

>What would you say is that age?
idk like 40-60 sort of age maybe?

Weird. There was a guy on R9K yesterday who asked if his dad was normie for listening to those bands.

That's a pretty broad range.

>tfw my dad likes dad metal aswell
Can't complain really, I probably picked up a lot of my early music taste from him and still love a lot of it. Still goes to festivals aswell and has introduced me to quite a lot of good modern bands aswell.

But id bet 80% of people who use this board have their dad in this range, so its just the age dads are, hence, the range for dad rock

I love dad rock

its not a genre.

user just said most guys in his family of that age range like that music, so the large range just backs up his point