So we all agree that this is the best Steely Dan album, right?

So we all agree that this is the best Steely Dan album, right?

Sure mefiocre album for a mediocre band

>Steely Dan
>mediocre

You sure like to pull your plebby little pants down don't you?

And no.

That would be The Royal Scam.

Is that a good album to get into Steely Dan with?

Dubs asks questions, dubs gets answers.

Can't Buy a Thrill is their debut, and is the one that's most rock oriented.

If you are just starting to get into Steely Dan, for many it would be a good starting point, especially if you're more into rock than into jazz.

Of course I'm a die hard Steely Dan fan, so, as far as I'm concerned they never put out a bad album, But this is the album that has Reeling In The Years which is a nice rockin' l'il number.

Of course The Best of Steely Dan is also a great way to introduce yourself to the band as it has a lot of their more popular radio hits, so you don't have to sit through every album, and they musical styles run the gambit.

R.I.P. Walter Becker.

Get along, Kid Charlemagne.

>white men can make good music
>implying

I Think "Best" is subjective when it comes to Steely Dan.
Every album is a winner, but I've been gravitating towards Aja lately.

First of all this album has the annoying gimmick of setting every song to a latin rhythm, and second, most of the song are forgettable except for Do It Again and Only A Fool Would Say That.

The only Steely Dan album that isn't lacklustre but instead genuinely brilliant is Aja, though Gaucho is also free of the pronounced low points that plagued every Dan album up until Aja.

>most of the song are forgettable except for Do It Again and Only A Fool Would Say That.
>forgetting Dirty Work and Reelin' in the Years

Change of the guard is a good ditty

steely dan is music for people who would rather be reading a book
music lovers need not apply

And what's wrong with reading books?

I live in a town where the illiteracy rate is 47%. That means approximately half the population in my town is either going to end up in jail or an early grave. Those statistics don't bode well.

And Steely Dan is a MUSICIAN'S band NOT a FAN'S band! This is what musicians listen to on their down time when they're not making albums or playing concerts. Took me a long tie to realize that, but when it finally clicked, I became a SD fan for life. (Well, that and The Minutemen's version of Dr. Wu helped too)

if you'd rather read a book, there are plenty of books with better writing than steely dan lyrics, and you wouldn't have to suffer through shitty, directionless music with lousy melodies over pointless chord changes to read them. go on. try and sing a single fucking steely dan song without an instrument to keep you on key.

Oh you poor bastard. I feel so sorry for you.

I love Prezel Logic most. It's B side is so underrated. Charlie Freak is hell of a song.

Aja is literally their only good album

nice counterpoint you twat. further evidence that steely dan is just peacocking material for pretentious idiots

I've been know to sing Deacon Blues acapella before. I could even sing Do It Again, Bhotisava, and Reeling In The Years acapella if I had to. Maybe even Black Friday, or Babylon Sisters if I set my mind to it, but I'd have to practice those, especially Babylon Sisters since Donald Fagen's voice has a high range, and I might not be able to hit those notes as effortlessly as he does.

You might've gotten dubs, but you're dumber than a sack of hair.

Steely Dan are "Peacocking material for pretentious idiots"?

What do YOU listen to?

>What do YOU listen to?

Real rock music like Boston, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles you hipster scum.

Steely Dan has always been a band that accompanied some of the good times in my life. A picnic with my GF, a scenic drive in a National Park, dinner with the folks. My Mom got me into Steely Dan. She would even "borrow" my albums. Close to my heart my friend.

I'm listening to this and I'm waiting for anything memorable or interesting to happen. I literally can't hum a single song 5 seconds after they end.

I can appreciate the stellar production and the chill coke vibe but Fleetwood Mac has stellar production and the chill coke vibe and amazing songs too.

>nice counterpoint you twat
do the songs really feel natural for you to sing though?

Not him, but Deacon Blues is a beautiful folk ballad about modern life.

I would've said something positive about your choice of bands since some of that stuff is not easy to play but you had to call me "Hipster scum" GRANDPA! (Does anybody even use the term "Hipster" anymore? I thought that was sooooooo 2010!)

No, Aja is not an easily hummable album, but that doesn't stop it from being enjoyable. In fact, it's one of my favorite SD albums.

With the exception of Babylon Sisters those songs are fairly easy for me to sing acapella. I should try FM as well. Thanks for the inspiration to try something new.

>I would've said something positive about your choice of bands since some of that stuff is not easy to play but you had to call me "Hipster scum" GRANDPA! (Does anybody even use the term "Hipster" anymore? I thought that was sooooooo 2010!)

Lol I was being ironic to trigger you. I like Steely Dan. Especially Pretzel Logic and Fagen's solo album Nightfly.

>folk ballad
folk ballads have memorable tunes
no but do they feel natural, do they feel like they flow as songs? steely dan always seems to me to have the hackiest type of songwriting, it's almost like cut-up art

Deacon Blues feels natural for me to sing. I can sing it with an effortless flow.

just keep listening to it, you'll eventually get it.

Nigga theu mediicre af

It has some really underrated tracks but pic is clearly the patrician choice.

nigga, you basic af

i sing Peg to myself all the time
>bitch

you haven't developed mature enough taste to appreciate steely dan. don't worry kid, you'll get there someday.

dubs don't lie
>also, nightfly

the whole thing?

THIS IS MAH HAIITIAN DIVORCE!!!!

yes
>yes

record it, 95% chance you miss the changes

>sure thing fag

I agree Pretzel Logic is my favorite. Any Major Dude used to get me through some rough times. Also Royal Scam is killer.

no seriously. I don't even mean post it here, just listen to yourself singing this thing and see if it matches the real melody. people remember the rhythm and words to steely dan songs, and sometimes the chorus, not the tunes

My personal fav. balances between Pretzel Logic and Royal Scam. Probably because of the memories attached to them and they were the ones I was first introduced to.

demonstrating that you're a chucklefuck does nothing to indicate your musical ability to me

a chucklefuck who can still enjoy music
>versus one who has forgotten how
>and thus has the music version of ED

I enjoy plenty of music. I don't enjoy uninteresting music pumped up by lots of guest solos that serves basically as a medium for the words and whose fans think added seconds are deep

>steely dan fans are super intelligent, we watch family guy and use image macros!
come back when you're ready to say something intelligent

if don't like them, why are you here?

to understand their appeal. so far I've figured out that steely dan fans have fragile egos and recoil like nosferatu to the light from any challenge to demonstrate basic musical literacy

or they just don't care what you think
>you've not demonstrated any musical prowess either
i would argue the burden of proof is on you