What exactly makes good or bad Free Jazz?

What exactly makes good or bad Free Jazz?

Free Jazz was never good.

fpbp

Bad free jazz is people noodling with no purpose, rhythm, syncopation, etc

Good free jazz can range from just a way more loose form of constant soloing to a collection improvisation that slides back and forth from structure to chaos to structure

well first of all, and this rule applies to jazz generally, if it's performed by a white man it's bad
the inverse is true, i.e. the blacker you arethe better the music. thus john COALtrane > sun ra > eric dolphy

Good Free Jazz is the kind you like.

Bad Free Jazz is the kind you don't like.

both leading men of free jazz have names that begin with "coal". prove me wrong, faggot

This is bad free jazz, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Stay clear from this shit, only people who "enjoy" this are the actual definition of Poseurs.

ITT: Shitposting for free and anything goes

Sure, I'm going to take Jazz listening advice from a fuckwad like you. Listen to more Jazz please you pleb.

see? a white group with a nazi name. straight to the surplus bin

/thread

name your favorite white free jazz artist. go on, take your time.

Miles Davis.

"If it sounds good and feels good, then it IS good!" - Duke Ellington

Nuance

Free from making any sense

>and this rule applies to jazz generally,

Oh, now it's just white men in Free Jazz? Did you just do a quick Google search?

>enters free jazz thread
>isn't aware of free jazz history in relation to europe
>doesn't know that some of the early contributors were white, such as gary peacock
>doesn't know that arguably the first free jazz musician, lennie tristano, was white

damn...

Every board is 50% Sup Forums at this point. What did you expect? Race has to be brought up somehow.

>white jazz artists aren't good
>chet baker
Yeah okay buddy ;)

>lennie tristano
literally who?
>chet baker
yeah grampa he's still cool. let me guess, you also like the glenn miller orchestra?

>doesn't even know who Lennie Tristano is
>trying to act like an authority on jazz

holy fuck even Scaruffi doesn't ignore Tristano

Are you expecting a genuine discussion about jazz at the stage this board is in?

>scaruffi
literally who?
>genuine discussion
sounds like rebbit is more your speed friendorino

>genuine discussion
Yeah, what could be better than shitposting like there's no tomorrow? I don't even care, since this board is done for.

yeah you've made so many intelligent points about how stupid I am and this thread is such original uncharted territory, it's a shame people like me have to show up and fuck up your deep, educated discourse

I know that Sup Forums mostly hates European jazz, but this is ridiculous

What are you even talking about? There are more than 2 people in this thread.